News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stuck or frozen 1931 Cadillac ignition/transmission switch

Started by daveness, January 30, 2018, 07:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveness

I have a 31' Cad that I cannot get the key to turn.  I inherited this from my dad and the keys were hanging in the ignition so I believe they are correct.  But it has been sitting for about 30 years.  I've tried some lubricant in the key hole and of course tried the key in many different angles and degrees of insertion. I'm thinking if I can't get it to unlock that I may remove floor boards and remove the lock cable from the transmission to be able to shift and then temporarily wire an electrical ignition switch.   I'm hoping you have some comments on these questions:

Is there a known problem of these ignition switches sticking and if so, is there a trick? 
How is the ignition switch held into the dash?
Can a competent locksmith make a new key to work if you take it to them?

thanks for any help you can provide,
Dave Ness
1931 370A Conv. Coupe (V12)
CLC Member

47bigcadillac

In my 1932 there is an anti theft original mechanism linking the ignition key and gear lever - you cannot move the gear lever if the key is out so perhaps trying with different gears in may work ?
R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

Johan Boltendal #158

Hi please sent me a  pm with your e mail adres and I will sent you the pictures of how it is. Johan

daveness

thanks 47bigcadillac I have that too.  I'm thinking I may need to disconnect the transmission lock cable at the transmission to allow it to shift.

Thanks Johan, I just emailed you with my info. 
1931 370A Conv. Coupe (V12)
CLC Member

Chris Cummings

The pin that holds the locking cable end in place at the transmission is threaded.  Screw a nut down onto it and keep turning to lift the pin out of its hole and free up the end of the locking cable.

Then you can remove the cable and ignition switch and work to free up the lock cylinder.  Hint:  pot metal strikes again!

Best wishes for successful solutions!

Chris Cummings

DFarlow

Curious if you ever were able to get the key to move.  The die cast swelling issue may keep the lock from moving.  I haven't seen much mentioned about this problem, but it seems many people are aware of it.  Jessers in Akron can rebuild these ignition sets with stainless sleeves as an option.

David