News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is this??? (extra controls/buttons)

Started by Justin Norwood, January 31, 2018, 08:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Norwood

So the buttons in the attachment sit right below the gauge cluster in my new-to-me '47 sedan. When I bought the car, the prior owner couldn't explain what they do, but suggested that I look in the owners manual. After looking through the owners manual, I can't seem to find anything to explain what these buttons do - so I am thinking that they were added after the fact.

Has anyone seen a button (or buttons) like these before? any idea of what their purpose might be???

Thanks
-Justin

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The one with the "F" is for your fog lamps. The other is the push-button for the windshield washer. They are approved Cadillac accessories. The wiper switch looks a little "hand-made" but that's how it was until Cadillac integrated it into things a little better. I don't recall when they drilled a hole in the windshield wiper control switch and made things a lot more classier.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Hansen

Justin,

A note about how your fog lights operate:

Pull out the headlight switch to the first detente so that your parking lights are on but not your headlights.  Turn the fog light switch clockwise.  Your parking lights will turn off and your fog lights will turn on. The fog light switch should also light up when the fog lights are on.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Justin Norwood

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Jay Friedman

Barry,

FYI, in '49--and I'm fairly certain '48, too--the windshield washers are controlled by a button in the middle of the windshield wiper control switch. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It's been a while since I've had a '49 like yours, so I can't remember that little detail. Except mine was originally purchased by a distant uncle. He had been thrown up in the air when a child and whomever did so missed him on the way down. So his spine was made into an "S" curve, so to speak. He traded in a '35 Packard coupe. The dealer in Frankfort, IN came over to his house and Uncle Fred ordered the fastback with hand controls installed. He also asked for a cushion upholstered in the same material as the car, and then covered with the factory seat covers. He kept the cushion for a keepsake when he sold me the car. I "used" the hand control a few times but mainly just ignored it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville