News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Eldorado for sale on Craigslist Los Angels

Started by jmurrayent, February 01, 2018, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurrayent

The same Eldo that was for sale here a few weeks ago is now on Craigslist in Los Angeles.  The price has gone up.....haha
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

David Greenburg

Must be the see-thru floors that make it special.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Makes me wonder, and I really don't know the answer, what a car appraiser would say about it. It obviously has value but......
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

wrench

Provenance shows car was once owned by Fred Flintstone.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

stzomah

So sad to see a majestic car like that totally abandoned and let to waste away.  The slob selling it for a $100K makes me sick as well.
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've seen worse restored to perfection...that is to say...as perfect as a restoration can be.  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

INTMD8

Quote from: stzomah on February 02, 2018, 10:33:47 AM
So sad to see a majestic car like that totally abandoned and let to waste away.  The slob selling it for a $100K makes me sick as well.

If it sells it will sell for what it's worth.

Not sure how that makes the seller a slob.

Is the owner of the similar/worse condition 59 Biarritz on ebay a slob as well or no because it's an auction?

59-in-pieces

I'm the last one to want more censorship on this forum - had my hands slapped for far less than name calling.
And yes the 59 in a way less deteriorated shape as the 53 is by far, and a much better deal.
I have said this many times - and it remains true - restoring any car, as Eric says, can be done with the right skill sets - first of which is money, and some cars require more than others.
As Clint Eastwood said - a man has got to know his limitations.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

INTMD8

53 has more floor rust but less trunk rust. Trunk/floor probably need replacing on both either way.  59 looks to have more exterior body rust, just covered by stainless.

The rest looks rather similar/poor condition.

59 price will probably climb higher and the 53 could likely be had for less than asking price.

What do you see on them that makes the 59 way less deteriorated?

STS05lg

I have a question, in the Self Starter there is a 54 for sale for $69k which looks pretty good. A person could drop that amount on that 53 in a NY second. So why the 54 looks just like the 53. I must apologize for not knowing very much about the early 50's cars.
Second, I remember when I was living in Texas in the early 1980's every 1959 was being pulled out of barns and pastures because the price of a fully restored Eldorado had reached $40-$50k. Just wondering where all these basket case 59's are coming from ....

There are a number of significant differences between 53 & 54 Eldorados which is the reason behind why the values they command are so disparate.

STS05lg

Thanks, Eric. I figured there had to be something. There is a 53 Eldorado for sale near me for $155k. That's a big difference form the $69k for the 54.

e.mason

Quote from: STS05lg on February 02, 2018, 01:32:49 PM
I have a question, in the Self Starter there is a 54 for sale for $69k which looks pretty good. A person could drop that amount on that 53 in a NY second. So why the 54 looks just like the 53. I must apologize for not knowing very much about the early 50's cars.
Second, I remember when I was living in Texas in the early 1980's every 1959 was being pulled out of barns and pastures because the price of a fully restored Eldorado had reached $40-$50k. Just wondering where all these basket case 59's are coming from ....

Most noticeable was the 53's had bodies only for them, while the 54's had bodies like the rest of the line.
Eric Mason

1953 was the year GM launched a trio of "Dream Cars" - the Olds Fiesta, Buick Skylark and the Eldorado. Futuristic "wraparound" windshield was exclusive to these models only in 1953. They also featured the elegant dip in the beltline whereas in 1954, the beltline was just like on the Series 62 Convertible- of which the Eldorado was merely a dressed up version.

Price of the '53 was a stratospheric $7,750 and only 532(?) were built. It was, and still is, a truly special Cadillac. In 1954, the Eldorado price dropped to $5,738 and sales predictably increased to 2,150.

So in a 1953 you have in one - the first Eldorado which is also the lowest year production, a unique body and arguably the most expensive standard production Eldorado convertible ever - it all adds up to one of the blue bloods of Cadillac collectiblity. (postwar)

e.mason

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 02, 2018, 04:31:35 PM
1953 was the year GM launched a trio of "Dream Cars" - the Olds Fiesta, Buick Skylark and the Eldorado. Futuristic "wraparound" windshield was exclusive to these models only in 1953. They also featured the elegant dip in the beltline whereas in 1954, the beltline was just like on the Series 62 Convertible- of which the Eldorado was merely a dressed up version.

Price of the '53 was a stratospheric $7,750 and only 532(?) were built. It was, and still is, a truly special Cadillac. In 1954, the Eldorado price dropped to $5,738 and sales predictably increased to 2,150.

So in a 1953 you have in one - the first Eldorado which is also the lowest year production, a unique body and arguably the most expensive standard production Eldorado convertible ever - it all adds up to one of the blue bloods of Cadillac collectiblity.

I think you can include the 1953 Corvette with the "Dream Cars".  These four special 1953 automobiles are known as the Motorama cars
Eric Mason

Quote from: e.mason on February 02, 2018, 04:43:34 PM
I think you can include the 1953 Corvette with the "Dream Cars".  These four special 1953 automobiles are known as the Motorama cars

Broadly speaking I would agree.

e.mason

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 02, 2018, 04:54:22 PM
Broadly speaking I would agree.

All four have interesting histories.  Of the four, only the Corvette still exists.  The Eldorado was the last longest produced.  Skylark lasted two years until it was resurrected as Buicks offering of a compact car. The Fiesta convertible would be gone the next year but its name would be resurrected in 1957 for Oldsmobile station wagons.
Eric Mason

49 Convertible

Knowing the owners of this car I believe that the comments are a little harsh for anyone.  The sellers own about 25  plus cars between them.  Two of their cars are 53 Eldorados (restored) in addition to the car listed for sale.  Yes I too believe they are wishing for pie in the sky but $99,500 is  what they are asking and if someone steps up to the plate then more power to both seller and buyer.  After all this is a hobby for most and cars fuel the hobby and a project is, just that, a project..
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Bobby B

Quote from: 49 Convertible on February 02, 2018, 05:43:17 PM
Yes I too believe they are wishing for pie in the sky but $99,500 is  what they are asking and if someone steps up to the plate then more power to both seller and buyer. 

It seems to be priced accordingly because $500.00 more makes it a 6-Figure project  :o.....
                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH