News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

FRONT SWAY BAR

Started by Chas, February 03, 2018, 06:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas

Has anyone ever put in a larger (i.e diameter) front sway bar in their 1960’s/1970’s Cadillac? If so, have you driven it hard enough to notice any handling difference? Tell me your experience!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Jason Edge

I replaced the 13/16" diameter stock front stabilizer bar on my 1964 Coupe de Ville with the thicker 15/16" bar from a 1964 Series 75 and it has much less body roll in the corners, staying much more level. It is an easy upgrade for the 63/64 Cadillacs. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

Hmmmm.  I wonder if the late 60s had a heavier bar for the series 75s??

Another item to consider is the urethane bushings kit. Less distortion where the links are.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

bcroe

I added a rear sway bar to my 62, and increased the size of the
front bar.  It made a world of difference, and became the standard
for all my later cars.  Developed better end links as well.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I installed a rear sway bar on my '72 Eldo, and the handling difference is huge.

No need to do anything with the front one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman56

Has anyone done this to a 56?
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

WTL

Where are you getting these rear sway bars?  Are they universal or model specific?  Are there any downsides?

Chas

I have found that Addco has the largest selection of Cadillac specific sway bars, both front and rear, along with all the hardware.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Jay Friedman

Going further back a few years, I installed a thicker ADDCO front bar on my '49 and it handles and steers much better than before.  The thicker ADDCO bar is a copy of the bar used on '49 limos and hearses. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: WTL on February 03, 2018, 08:09:10 PM
Where are you getting these rear sway bars?  Are they universal or model specific?  Are there any downsides?   
It was a pity that Cadillac was never into any sort of road handling available for their cars until the late models, and never made a rear sway bar available.

I made my sway bar using a Holden Vectra bar and modified the mounting brackets and fitted them to the rear axle brackets and the frame.

A rear bar is best fitted before considering modifying the front bar, as there is a lot of soft-swinging metal at the back, especially with the Eldorado, and a flexible convertible.

My car now rides as flat as a Corvette on the tightest of turns, whereas before, the outside of the body would nearly rub on the ground.   Limited my capability of taking corners at any sort of speed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Larry (cadman56),

I replaced my sway bar on my 56 CDV last year. I had previously replaced the 49 and 53 sway bars with new larger diameter ADDCO made a lot of difference. As far as I can tell ADDCO is the only company that makes them. Other re-sellers like PST have them also but from ADDCO.

PM me if you want more into.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

5390john

I have a '55 CDV that I have been restoring for 6 years. I had a local company make me a 7/8" dia. front bar and a custom 3/4" rear bar with urethane bushings for both. The company is Quickor Garage in Portland OR. See www.quickorgarage.com Very happy with the set up.
Have not driven the car yet but I expect it to have minimal body roll. The rest of the suspension is new but all stock springs/bushings etc. Also have radial tires.
John Adams

1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting discussion....When I bought my '56 Sedan de Ville, it had a rear sway bar which was added by the first owner. When I restored the car, I deleted that rear sway bar. I drove the car first with bias play tires (it was a nightmare) and soon after, I installed radial tires. I'm driving rather fast, sometimes faster than the average people and never felt the need for a more efficient sway bar nor regretted the elimination or the rear one.
The '57 Brougham still has it's original sway bar and don't have the need for something "better". The '56 Biarritz is driven more carefully; not because of the suspension but because of those crappy bias-ply tires.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Yeah, thanks.   I've been looking for a source for new.   Mine's bent on one side.   No sense putting another worn out used one on.   
I'd recommend that you use them, change all bushings, and heavier isn't going to hurt in handling, body roll, wheel hop, tire wear, etc. but may have trouble finding bushings and clamps for larger dia. unless this Addco place supplies?   
Even the repro bushings aren't always correct.   I had to make the slice (Steele) to put on and the other suppliers were completely wrong for the clamps.
I feel the early stock ones are a bit wimpy compared to later.   This has come up before, someone was having some made 1" a few years ago but not sure if on here.   

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: cadman56 on February 03, 2018, 08:06:03 PM
Has anyone done this to a 56?

Yes, I have added a thicker (ADDCO) sway bar to a 56.  And to a 55.  And a 54.  And to a 51.  And a 50.  And a 49.  It makes a world of difference in handling and confidence.  One of the best things you can do.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 Cadillac really handles well and it is in top repair, suspension included.  I never feel limited by it driving the curved roads or making turns.  Never really thought about changing to a heavy bar.  I'm a fast driver, generally the guy in the left lane flashing my lights for the slow pokes to get out of the way.

First make sure that all bushings (front and rear) are in perfect condition, as this can contribute to poor handling.  If they are original or have not been replaced in three decades they are very likely not adequate.

The urethane bushings can actually make handling worse, so be careful with that idea.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty