News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car Shows...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 03, 2018, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

For those of us (moi in particular) who have never presented our car at an event, what's the procedure?
I've shown horses and competed professionally in sport, I've never done this before.
What to bring, when to arrive, what to do! Any all information is greatly appreciated, no detail is too small.

Our first show is April 12th, the first of the season at Bass Pro Shops/Gillette stadium. Then May 20th at Larz Anderson, June 9th at Heritage, June 17 at Hyannis, July 19 Bass Pro Shop's "big show" at Gillette, Aug & Sep TBD, that's it for this year. World Of Wheels next March at Seaport Boston if HVA has room on their enclosed carrier.

ANY information/experiences are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

35-709

*What to bring --- I bring a couple of folding chairs, I have the foldable type with a folding tray on the side and also the "sling" type that fit in a long bag.  A bottle of water or two.  Something to eat if you don't think you'll want to eat what the vendors have.  Hat, sunscreen.

*When to arrive --- I like to get there as early as I can (depending, of course, on my better half if she goes), you'll usually get a better parking space or, if no one is directing you where to park, your pick of the best spot left. 
You'll find that unless you get there before daybreak, there will be car owners there before you!

*What to do --- Up to you, you'll have plenty to do at the Larz Anderson.  I enjoy walking around looking at the other cars and talking with the spectators, answering questions about my car and listening to their experiences --- some get long-winded and have strong opinions though.  ;D 

You'll catch on to the whole routine pretty quick.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

Bring Six or 8 bottles of water and / or beer - in a cooler. Make sure your folding chair has a cupholder.  ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Lexi

Ditto to all of the above. I also pack a car cleaning kit, as well as a tool kit for those just in case moments. You may find yourself wanting to primp your car to have it look its best once parked. Make sure to also bring your camera! \m/  Clay/Lexi

cadillacmike68

Quote from: lexi on February 03, 2018, 04:39:09 PM
Ditto to all of the above. I also pack a car cleaning kit, as well as a tool kit for those just in case moments. You may find yourself wanting to primp your car to have it look its best once parked. Make sure to also bring your camera! \m/  Clay/Lexi

Oh yeah, anything over a mile or two and you'll absolutely have to clean the whitewalls and probably the windshield.

And, my toolbox is a permanent fixture in the trunk.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

e.mason

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 03, 2018, 02:15:56 PM
Bring Six or 8 bottles of water and / or beer - in a cooler. Make sure your folding chair has a cupholder.  ;)

BEER??????  That is the very worse advice one could ever give!!!!!!!  No explanation necessary.  It should be obvious why not.  It should be noted that in most public parks, the use of alcoholic beverages is illegal!!!

Can you drink alcohol in a Florida state park?
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public areas in all state parks. The campground rules state that you can consume alcohol in your RV, but not in any public area. ..
Eric Mason

David Greenburg

Definitely bring detailing supplies.  Even if close by, dust or heaven forbid, tree sap or a bird could strike.  Last year I was too close to the food vendors at a show, and had to wipe the sebaceous film off my black car a few times.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

tturley

I have a 1940 LaSalle so I found 2 1940 era suitcases one is full of tools and the other detailing supply's. this is in addition to all the other items mentioned. Except the beer
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

e.mason

Eric Mason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: e.mason on February 03, 2018, 06:56:18 PM
Anything and everything you might need.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/concours+lawn+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
No wonder I don't do car shows.

But, I do do the casual drive-up-and-park-on-the-grass local shows.

Plus, I do assist in Judging at one of our larger gatherings, but that in itself is a low-key affair. (800 vehicles)

Virtually no display or description signs, and definitely no mandatory fire extinguishers.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

nysdarkblue

All the above plus: scan the area for rest rooms. I went to a show once, got there very early and went to use a portable  potty which had a sign on it, venders only. I looked, no one around so used it. As I was inside, I thought to myself, self, What would I say if a vender saw me and said something. I answered myself, self, I would say, I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN. Also, is you smoke, especially cigars like me, bring enough to carry you through the day.  ;D
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

e.mason

Quote from: nysdarkblue on February 03, 2018, 07:30:34 PM
All the above plus: scan the area for rest rooms. I went to a show once, got there very early and went to use a portable  potty which had a sign on it, venders only. I looked, no one around so used it. As I was inside, I thought to myself, self, What would I say if a vender saw me and said something. I answered myself, self, I would say, I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN. Also, is you smoke, especially cigars like me, bring enough to carry you through the day.  ;D

One other thing.  Try to avoid parking near smokers, especially cigar smokers!!!!! >:D >:D >:D
Eric Mason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: e.mason on February 03, 2018, 05:13:20 PM

BEER??????  That is the very worse advice one could ever give!!!!!!!  No explanation necessary.  It should be obvious why not.  It should be noted that in most public parks, the use of alcoholic beverages is illegal!!!

Can you drink alcohol in a Florida state park?
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public areas in all state parks. The campground rules state that you can consume alcohol in your RV, but not in any public area. ..

Get real. I'm not saying to drink 6 and then drive home. Did I say that anywhere? ?? ???

As for parks, I haven't been to a car show in a FL state park that I can remember.  I'm talking about going to Old Town or Biffs where its a 6 - 8 hour marathon and after cleaning up the car after a 90 mile trip (do you know how many bugs you can catch on a 90 mile trip down here?), I'm sitting back to sip a couple while having something to eat. Old town is private property. A lot of other places where there are shows here are also private property.

I remember driving up to Ocala in Sep for a show, and when I got there my car must have had 10,000 bugs on every front surface. Fortunately they were giving free bug cleaner with the goodie bags. I never did get all the bugs off the car that day...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

e.mason

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 03, 2018, 07:45:13 PM
Get real. I'm not saying to drink 6 and then drive home. Did I say that anywhere? ?? ???

As for parks, I haven't been to a car show in a FL state park that I can remember.  I'm talking about going to Old Town or Biffs where its a 6 - 8 hour marathon and after cleaning up the car after a 90 mile trip (do you know how many bugs you can catch on a 90 mile trip down here?), I'm sitting back to sip a couple while having something to eat. Old town is private property. A lot of other places where there are shows here are also private property.

I remember driving up to Ocala in Sep for a show, and when I got there my car must have had 10,000 bugs on every front surface. Fortunately they were giving free bug cleaner with the goodie bags. I never did get all the bugs off the car that day...

No you didn't say to drink one or six.  I just found it irresponsible to even suggest bringing beer where a person might be driving.  Sure a person might be able to have a beer or two and not be completely impaired.  Try telling that to the police if you are involved in a traffic accident and they smell alcohol on your breath, and want to give you a sobriety test.  Was the beer or two worth all the cost, about $10,000.00 if you hire a lawyer? Possible loss of license for 6 months?  Raise in your insurance?  Bad enough so many text while driving.  Don't need the problem being exacerbated with drivers that have been drinking.
Eric Mason

gary griffin

I have heard that our body nullifies the effects of a beer or a shot every hour so if we drink beer or a couple an hour the greatest effect we will have is two beers in our system and that is not enough to get a DWI or to be an impaired driver.  A six pack over 7 or 8 hours is basically just keeping cool. 

Having said that I still don't drink and drive but within limits I see nothing too bad about it as long as it is within reason. Check out my estimate above and also body size has a lot to do with it.  Two an hour may be a lot for a person weighing 125 pounds for example?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

e.mason

Quote from: gary griffin on February 03, 2018, 08:38:02 PM
I have heard that our body nullifies the effects of a beer or a shot every hour so if we drink beer or a couple an hour the greatest effect we will have is two beers in our system and that is not enough to get a DWI or to be an impaired driver.  A six pack over 7 or 8 hours is basically just keeping cool. 

Having said that I still don't drink and drive but within limits I see nothing too bad about it as long as it is within reason. Check out my estimate above and also body size has a lot to do with it.  Two an hour may be a lot for a person weighing 125 pounds for example?

Tell that to the cop that stops you, and you might want to mention what your heard to the Breathalyzer. 
Eric Mason

cadillacmike68

Well, this thread has been successfully flushed.  :(
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I am learning so much, can't thank you guys enough!
I don't drink (beer) and drive, to each their own. When I get home Captain Morgan, Mr Diet Coke and I get personal. LOVED the suitcases to match the year of the car, clever.
I smoke cigarettes so 'smoke' won't bother me. Close to a rest room/port-a-potty is brilliant.
You guys are the BEST!
Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

mario

Laurie:
Bring a fire extinguisher, A, B, C type. Some shows require it. It is to your benefit to have one, required or not.
Ciao,
Mario caimotto

Glen

It’s a good idea to have a fire extinguisher in your car, new or antique.  I saved a 68 Chevelle because I had one handy.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104