News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car Shows...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 03, 2018, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on February 04, 2018, 01:13:15 AM
It’s a good idea to have a fire extinguisher in your car, new or antique.  I saved a 68 Chevelle because I had one handy.

Yes, I needed mine once too.  It's also a requirement at a lot of shows, including CLC meets. It used to be one of two instant disqualifications.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jaxops

I would recommend going to a "fun" or charity show or car corral gathering first.  There is no pressure and you can ask the participants about the judged shows.  By "fun" I mean one where you don't need to strip the car down and take off the radials to satisfy the judging. Some of these shows are judged or participant judged but the aim is usually to show your car and enjoy the day with the public. Entry fees support one or a series of charities. 

There are usually a Friday or Saturday evening car gatherings around the country.  Check around in your newspaper or car show/event websites.  Some have a one or two dollar entry fee to pay for dash plaques they hand out, many do not.  That's how I got into the car show/event circuit was with a Friday night car gathering in downtown Worcester Mass.

If you are looking for a judged Marque or AACA type show, preparation is the key.  AACA and CLC have their requirements posted so go through the judging writeups first.  Again, for those, preparation is the key.

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

gkhashem

I think the shows you are referring to may be just shows, no judging.

So if you have a Cadillac many people will walk by and just drool over the muscle cars or the Chevy or Ford dad owned.

So just enjoy the show and meet the people who really admire the Cadillac for what it is , a luxury car from years ago that most people cannot relate to.

Only the other Cadillac collectors, people whose family had Cadillacs or real car enthusiasts will tend to appreciate your car.

Sorry but thats my experience at these shows. If you really want to go where the car is appreciated go the Cadillac Day  at the Larz Anderson museum sponsored in part by NECLC region. It usually is in late May in Brookline MA. I do not know if the event is happening in 2018.

There will be all Cadillacs for people who appreciate Cadillacs, you will have more fun with your car and looking at the other Cadillacs.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Lexi

Yes, bring a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Back around 1978 I had my 1956 Coup de Ville go up in flames while driving. Whoosh! In an instant I had flames under the dash and the cabin instantly filled with smoke. Couldn't see where I was driving. My trousers even got singed at the cuffs. I was navigating a curve on a back street when it happened. Pulled over to where I thought the curb was; ripped out the offending wires and disconnected the battery (of course). Fire actually started under the hood (trany kicked up ATF which ignited on exhaust manifold), then immediately spread through the wiring as it's insulation melted creating an immediately flash fire that shot back under the dash in lightning speed. Wish I had a fire extinguisher that day. Fortunately there was a guy watering his garden who came over with his water hose which helped. The Fire Department came and for some reason sprayed cold water on my now hot windshield which cracked it. Sad part was, by that time I had the fire out and there was no need for that. After that experience I made the following Note To Self: 1) ALWAYS travel with a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Yes I was able to save my car and I spent the next 2 months re-wiring her with a harness I stripped out of a parts car. \m/ Clay/Lexi

Edit: BTW I would never bring beer either to a show, but agree with having lots of water on hand. I don't even drink but as Cadlilac Mike 68 later pointed out that beer is OK when consumed in moderation in the proper venue.

charlie mckenna

Please try to get the younger people Involved in taking an interest ,remember they are our future caretakers of our cars. If your are interested in helping to judge, most shows can always use a hand. You will be surprised how much fun it is to get involved.

Lexi

Lots of fantastic ideas with this topic. Charlies point is to bring and SHARE your enthusiasm to a show, especially with the young. For me at shows when I see young people interested in the car I often ask them if they would like to sit in it behind the wheel. It is wonderful to see their faces light up. If they have a camera or camera phone, I then offer to take a picture of them behind the wheel with their head sticking out the driver window wearing a smile as long as a 1959 Caddy quarter panel. As my car is a Limousine model, I have a spare Limo Driver's hat as a prop which I encourage them to also wear for full effect. You can tell that it makes their day and mine as well, as it is always a great day to meet fellow Caddy enthusiasts, regardless of their age. I have often wondered how many of these individuals have furthered their interest in classic cars because of interactions like this. The true connoisseur strives to learn as much about the objects they collect and in so doing also shares that interest with others while they continue to hone their area of specialization. After all we are indeed only caretakers of these great automobiles. Great point Charlie, and I am a little embarrassed that I forgot about it until you pointed it out! Clay/Lexi

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Depending on how long you stay bring sunscreen and maybe one of those umbrellas that clip to your chair.
Nothing I have is judgeworthy(spellcheck didn't like that word) so my car is there in all its glory--drips and all. I go to the free shows myself. I hate paying for others to look at my car but that is just a personal pet peeve.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: gkhashem on February 04, 2018, 10:23:55 AM
Sorry but thats my experience at these shows. If you really want to go where the car is appreciated go the Cadillac Day  at the Larz Anderson museum sponsored in part by NECLC region. It usually is in late May in Brookline MA. I do not know if the event is happening in 2018.

There will be all Cadillacs for people who appreciate Cadillacs, you will have more fun with your car and looking at the other Cadillacs.

Larz Anderson is May 20, 2018
Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You guys have given me so many great ideas and information, thank you!
Chairs, a cooler with beverages, munchies... I'd lock the car up if I strayed to viewed the others though.
Tools? Surely you jest, and stop calling me Shirley. That's my mech's job. If it dies, 1800AAA
I've always used Showtime products, I have the feeling Mike will tell me what to use after paint.
I'm thinking a couple of gallons of water/soap/sponge/towels in case I have to wash something? What do you guys use on the whitewalls at the show? Tires should be flat, no shine.
Are there shows/events that allow you to play music at your car within a specific decibel level? I have a 2.5 hour playlist of all the top songs of 1970, just need a media player TBD. Fire extinguisher is brilliant, I have several in the house to pilfer. I was going to have the original owners manual (in the wax paper) on the front seat along with the shop and body manual and sales brochure, too much? Love putting kids in the car, as long as they're clean I suppose I do it. And yes the threat of rain will keep me home!
You guys are the best, thank you. So grateful. Won't be long until The Ark heads to the beauty $hop... Can't wait!

I'm keeping the inside pretty much survivor. Thinking just a good vacumming, shampoo the apholstery with my Hoover, shine up the leather/plastic with some product, clean the glass well, shine up the chrome as best I can. Get out the Q-Tips etc. I'm figuring a whole day before an event to get the car 'ready'?

Laurie?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

e.mason

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 04, 2018, 11:16:38 PM
You guys have given me so many great ideas and information, thank you!
Chairs, a cooler with beverages, munchies... I'd lock the car up if I strayed to viewed the others though.
Tools? Surely you jest, and stop calling me Shirley. That's my mech's job. If it dies, 1800AAA
I've always used Showtime products, I have the feeling Mike will tell me what to use after paint.
I'm thinking a couple of gallons of water/soap/sponge/towels in case I have to wash something? What do you guys use on the whitewalls at the show? Tires should be flat, no shine.
Are there shows/events that allow you to play music at your car within a specific decibel level? I have a 2.5 hour playlist of all the top songs of 1970, just need a media player TBD. Fire extinguisher is brilliant, I have several in the house to pilfer. I was going to have the original owners manual (in the wax paper) on the front seat along with the shop and body manual and sales brochure, too much? Love putting kids in the car, as long as they're clean I suppose I do it. And yes the threat of rain will keep me home!
You guys are the best, thank you. So grateful. Won't be long until The Ark heads to the beauty $hop... Can't wait!

I'm keeping the inside pretty much survivor. Thinking just a good vacumming, shampoo the apholstery with my Hoover, shine up the leather/plastic with some product, clean the glass well, shine up the chrome as best I can. Get out the Q-Tips etc. I'm figuring a whole day before an event to get the car 'ready'?

Laurie?

Music?  Absolutely.  I remember years ago at CLC shows, a gentleman had a '41 Cadillac wired to play great 40's music.  You might want to consider dressing in period costumes.  70's?  Hmmmmm   Bell bottoms or the Mod look.
Eric Mason

tturley

I have a 78 year old Lasalle so I do carry tools in case. I don't have a mechanic in the trunk.
I have a Sandwich board that has the story of Lasalle and some nice graphic on it that I put a Bluetooth speaker in. When I hear someone say " I never heard of a Lasalle I hit my phone and the speaker belts out the theme song from "All in the family"
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Lexi

Owners manual on the front seat...dressing in period clothes (or a similarly dressed mannequin)...period music...sandwich sign board with info printed on it... Cripes only now do I realize how much more there was to mention Laurie. Great ideas. \m/ Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: tturley on February 04, 2018, 11:31:05 PM
When I hear someone say " I never heard of a Lasalle I hit my phone and the speaker belts out the theme song from "All in the family"

LOL!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on February 04, 2018, 11:58:46 PM
Owners manual on the front seat...dressing in period clothes (or a similarly dressed mannequin)...period music...sandwich sign board with info printed on it... Cripes only now do I realize how much more there was to mention Laurie. Great ideas. \m/ Clay/Lexi

Yeah no period correct clothes for me my friend. Size 2 spray on jeans with my genuine Cadillac embroidered polo that happens to be in Lucerne Aqua I recently realized, another sign? \m/

Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: StevenTuck on February 05, 2018, 06:56:58 AM
C.R. I create sign boards which I refer to as Car Show Signs. Here is a link to my website.

http://carshowsigns.net/

You have been given some good suggestions. I go to alot of shows and display my sign along with original operational tags which would have been on my car when new. Under the hood is a freon tag on the compressor and a antifreeze tag on the radiator fill cap. I also have a KLEER-VIEW bottle for refilling the windshield washer which people find fascinating. Included under the hood are the permanently mounted labels like on the air cleaner, antifreeze degree protection tag and more. Inside is a Guidematic tag behind the headlight switch, radio foot control tag hanging from the radio knob and power antenna tag behind the other radio knob. Inside the drivers front door is the oil lub tag. The trunk has the jacking instructions tag and control differential tag to name a few. All these original tags adds to originality of your vehicle. Finally I created a Monroney Label (window price sticker) which I also make for other Cadillac owners. Included here are examples of the above mentioned labels and/or tags.

Let me know if I can be of additional help. Good Luck.

Cool stuff, thanks! Love the phony window sticker.
I never understood folks putting a photo of their car on the showboard - the car is right in front of you.

Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

This will be beside the showboard, or somewhere...
The biggest events (IMHO) of 1970.
Already made this on Power Point and had Staples turn it into a 12" x 24" laminated,
foam backed board, $32.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

Laurie that is a great idea! Reminds me of those "Flickback Video Gift Cards" that were available (and still are) that featured a similar theme based on the the year of your birth. They also came with a DVD. I got one for my Caddy's year, 1956. They also did one for 1970, your car's year,  and it would also be a nice added piece of decorum for the front seat with lots of great additional ideas for you. My card says www.FLICKBACK.com on it, if you want to check it out. They are great trips down memory lane and offer a wide variety of nostalgic related stuff! \m/ Clay/Lexi

Edit 1: On a "Geek note", not sure why they pictured Attack of the 50 ft Woman as it was from 1958...oh well... Also looks like they have changed the graphics on the '56 perhaps as a result? Is this now a collector's item???!!!

Edit 2: Lots of older (and newer) cards and related stuff at this site. Think the B-Day greeting cards with DVDs go back to 1929. Great for the senior members. Best of all I think they all feature cars prominently :)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I spent quite a bit of a month getting the 1981 Seville ready for the Fall Festival... Of course I don't fit in size 2 jeans either. Maybe you ought to set aside TWO days to clean her up. (I was born in 1936.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Barry there is one of those Flickback greeting card-DVDs for your year bro!  Clay/Lexi

jaxops

Just a folup: I just use "SOS" pads and water on my whitewalls.  I also bring some wax and windshield cleaner and some micro-towels for spots I may have missed.  I have reproduction inspection stickers on my windshield.  I also wrote up my own dealer options for the window.  A lot of folks are amazed at the price until you tell them you could buy a house or this Cadillac back then...

I try to keep water off of the car except for a once-a-year bath. 

Enjoy the car and the fellowship!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA