News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NOVI Air Conditioning

Started by cmcadam@cox.net, February 03, 2018, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmcadam@cox.net

I looked at a 1955 Cadillac today that had a NOVI  air conditioner.  This the first time I have ever seen one. 
I am guessing it was a dealer add on.  does anyone have knowledge, or information on this system? 

J. Gomez

There are several articles related to classic A/C systems below from OEMs to after markets brands, there is a brief mention on Novi in the last one, not much.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cold-comfort-history-of-automotive-air-conditioning-part-1-pre-world-war-ii/

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cold-comfort-history-of-automotive-air-conditioning-part-2-the-aftermarket/

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cold-comfort-history-of-automotive-air-conditioning-part-3-post-world-war-ii/

I dough the Novi would be a Cadillac dealer add-on as the standard A/C for Cadillac was Frigidaire brand. It probably was professional installed by an independent shop.   ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good read. However we have 2 links to part 1 and no part 2. Please post the link to #2. Thanks.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

J. Gomez

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

It's amazing how much misinformation gets perpetuated. Novi was at one time the major source of add on AC systems used  by both after market installers and some dealerships. The Cadillac dealer installed systems were typically factory supplied "kits" installed by said Cadillac dealers and listed in the parts books as such.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cmcadam@cox.net

Was it a good system?

What about replacement parts?  Would it be difficult for today's mechanics to work on?

Would it something to avoid?

Was it a good system?

It was state of the art durng the era of its production if installed correctly.

What about replacement parts?  Would it be difficult for today's mechanics to work on?

All major components were proprietary, so probably pretty scarce.  Anyone who actually knows ari conditioning, not just the buzz words could work on it

Would it something to avoid?
If a car has a working system, no, but I don't think I would purposely seek one out.

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cowboyman

I can't remember what car, but one of my fathers friends has a retro car which has a NOVI air conditioning system and he told us something about it. I remember he said that air and water can can get into the A/C system. This thing reduces the efficiency of the system that causes damage. You should periodically purge the system and replace the refrigerant to remove the air and water. So this is everything I know about NOVi air conditioning system, hope I was helpful. Besides that I install A/C in the houses in Singapore, so if someone is here you can ask me about it or to access this website https://www.socool.sg/ to read about A/C here.

Tim
The only way air and water can get into the system would be if all the refrigerant has leaked out and there is zero pressure in the system. The. If the system continues to run the site of the leak becomes the site of contaminate introduction. A properly installed system can operate
Leak free for many years without requiring a full recharge only a small top off to replace the refrigerant lost via the shaft seal.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

bcroe

A couple years ago I put 5 state of the art heat pumps in 2 of my buildings. 
Referred to as mini-splits, they are SO QUIET, SO EFFICIENT, and have a lot
of other somewhat subtle advantages.  Being electrically powered, it makes
me wonder if it is about time to make such an advance in car AC, probably
already has happened in the electric vehicles.  The shaft seal is gone, and
the hoses to the engine.  Maybe cut down on all the maintenance of the old
systems. 

One obvious issue is supplying enough electricity to run a mini.  At home my
solar panels supply for free all heat, cooling, and electricity, keep the car shop
comfy year around.  Bruce Roe

cadman56

A friend of mine has a NOVI in his 55.  It worked good for him.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

NOVI was, by far the "Cadillac" of "add on" AC systems in it's day.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille