News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

$3400 1967 Eldorado in Minneapolis

Started by 67_Eldo, February 03, 2018, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Bobby B

The Description is Hilarious. Must've smoked something before he placed that ad  :o......
                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

67_Eldo

The man had a dream!

I, however, have fought down the urge to add dual hood scoops to mine. :-)

BJM

Being in Des Moines, I spotted that car in regional searches.  Quite the Novelist and although it apparently runs, it's a $500 car.   

Bobby B

Quote from: BJM on February 03, 2018, 10:06:01 PM
Quite the Novelist and although it apparently runs, it's a $500 car.

$ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.00
                            Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

BJM

It's in a tough spot value wise. I paid $500 for 95,000 mile 1968 Eldorado project, non running, complete, some rust, some dents, it's a project.  I guess this white car runs and drives, for $3400 BUT - I have seen many 67-70 Eldorados in nice driver condition - with issues (don't get me wrong, with issues) for $5500 to $9500. 

If you spend $3400 on this white car all you are doing is bailing this guy out, as in "gee thanks mister" as he counts his cash and gets away as fast as he can.

My most eye rolling comment is when they threaten to part a car like this out for more money - not saying this seller has but I see it all the time - extortion - pay my price OR I will part it out for double my asking price.  Hhhmmm OK, then start parting it out dude, let's go, c'mon.

Well uh no, I really don't want to do the hard labor of pulling a part, throwing it on ebay or CL and shipping it. etc etc.

67_Eldo

It seems to me as though if someone is selling a "project" that they either haven't started to work on OR that they took only the initial steps of taking it apart far enough to find the bad problems, they might as well *give* the car away. In my case, the purchase price of my Eldorado is quite small compared to what I now have in it. It wouldn't have mattered much if I did or didn't get a screaming deal on the purchase price. (And now I have new power steering too!)

I'll bet that the guy in Shasta would give his Eldo away if someone backed up to his garage and started loading pieces of it into a large truck. The garage space that Eldorado is taking up must be worth lots more than $400.

Our dreamer in Minneapolis isn't in that frame of mind yet. I suspect the Minneapolis Eldo won't change hands until the rust on that poor machine is considerably more avaricious!

Andrew Wall CLC#10638

I think I owned this actual car from 1991-1997.  Restored at the time, removed V-top and repainted, Sold for $2000, can't remember how that got accomplished, but I sorta recall it going to Minnesota.  I remember the CLC sticker in the rear window!! Interior/Exterior colors are exact.  I reached out to the seller, hopefully he will have some info.

The leather was intact when I sold it, and the body was not rusted.  21 years is a long time. . .

Unfortunately, no electronic photo

James Landi

From Andrew's description of that being his car, its present condition twenty-one years later seems entirely, and apparently, reasonable.  A well maintained and loved vintage car falls into the hands of an abusive or careless series of owners, and "voila," it shows up on Craig's list needing a lot of love and resources.  THe question is, just how major have the termites eaten away at the unloved car.   They were well built, and durable.

BJM

That car is a parts car, period. Minneapolis has a serious salt habit.  They pre-brine the roads now.  If you see rear wheel lip rust as this car has, plus the usual rust spots around the back window, it's a parts car.

Without disrespecting a certain group of potential buyers, this car may end up dubbed with 22" rims and driven around for a few years more but will eventually end it's life crushed or in a bone yard, then crushed. 

I mean no disrespect, but that is it's likely future.  No one of us is going to re-restore that car, it would take $75,000 or more of my daughter's college money or my retirement money, no way. 

67_Eldo

Andrew Wall CLC#10638

I reached out to the person who listed it, but no response.  The other reason it is likely mine is that the Cadillac emblems on the rear sail panel are not rusting at all.  Those were punched through the roof, and when I had mine repainted and repaired, that area under the vinyl roof was almost gone (In 1991!), After I had it repaired, I put the adhesive version back on the car so it wouldn't rust out.  Guess it worked!!

Also, the rear height control did not work, so I had an extra leaf added  to the monoleaf rear suspension.   I recall it made the car ride high in the rear without any passenger load.  This car looks like that is going on.

Like many 67 Eldorado's it was originally a California Car, then it moved to Tennesee, and finally to Columbus Ohio.  I put $10,000 into the car while I owned it, purchased it for $2,000.  Drove it daily for 4 years, which is how I learned not to restore a classic and use it as a daily driver.  An expensive lesson. . .

In a way, even though it's beaten and eaten, I'm glad to see it made it this far :)

James Landi

Andrew--- It struck me that the vacuum actuated air ride compressor could not have survived, and yet in the picture, the tail end is riding comfortably high.  Has to be YOUR car.  Would make a nice ending to this Craig's list sags, if you were to perform another resurrection. Happy day,  James

67_Eldo

He still has it, the price is down to $2499, and (if I'm not mistaken) his backstory is even longer than before.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/1967-cadillac-eldorado-all/6537600232.html

Bobby B

Quote from: 67_Eldo on April 03, 2018, 10:33:38 AM
He still has it, the price is down to $2499, and (if I'm not mistaken) his backstory is even longer than before.

In the not so distant future, the price will be even lower and the backstory will be even longer..... >:D
                                                                                                                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

67_Eldo

The price is still $2499, but I think the description is even longer than it was before.

If this fellow doesn't sell this car, at least he'll get a book out of his Craigslist listing.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/1967-cadillac-eldorado-all/6568534797.html

Steve Passmore

Shame really. He would have a queue all the way down the street for that money if it were in this country.  Do  love the 67s
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe