News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New carpet in my '70 Deville Convertible

Started by grantatx, February 04, 2018, 10:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Hi All,

Thought I would post some pics of the carpet replacement I did on the car a couple of weeks ago. The carpet was purchased from Stock Interiors, they make a nice product for a good price, about $185 shipped. I intended to rip out the old carpet and throw the new stuff in without any floor pan prep, but changed my mind quickly once I saw its condition. While it didn't have any rust holes, there was definitely surface rust, so I wire-brushed the entire floor pan, the POR15'd it. After that a layer of heat/sound insulation went in. Lastly, the lovely new dark blue carpet.

Loveofclassics78

Great job! That Por -15 is good stuff. What is the name of the insulation that you used?

TJ Hopland

Ya looks good and I too was wondering about the insulation.    Is it all back together yet?   Any issues with the thickness differences between old and new insulation/backing? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

grantatx

Here's the insulation I used (two were just sufficient for the whole floor pan):

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-16-36sqft-Absorption-Deadener-Insulation/dp/B01K9X4710/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515731300&sr=8-4&keywords=heat+sound+insulation

It's quite thick, which is what I wanted, to replace the factory insulation I took out. I did need to trim it so it didn't go all the way up the floor pan sides to the sills - because of the thickness it was making the carpet sit too high at the ridge. Apart from that the carpet fits nicely. Everything is back in; I'll post a pic of the finished product as soon as we get another sunny day here in Austin!

chrisntam

I saw the same movie you're seeing now about 2 yrs ago, but my carpet took some work to get it to fit.

You being a fellow Texan and all, will we be seeing you in San Marcos in June?

I plan to drive my '70 there, but I worry about it making the trip.  I'm a worrier I guess.  Didn't used to be, I guess now I know about all the stuff that can go wrong, where as before, I was blissfully ignorant.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

grantatx

Quote from: chrisntam on February 05, 2018, 09:46:04 PM
I saw the same movie you're seeing now about 2 yrs ago, but my carpet took some work to get it to fit.

You being a fellow Texan and all, will we be seeing you in San Marcos in June?

I plan to drive my '70 there, but I worry about it making the trip.  I'm a worrier I guess.  Didn't used to be, I guess now I know about all the stuff that can go wrong, where as before, I was blissfully ignorant.

;)

Yes, I'll definitely be going to the San Marcos meet up, very much looking forward to meeting up with other forum posters, and checking out some great classic Caddies!

I know what you mean about not trusting a car to go long-distance. I made the mistake of attempting to drive my barn find from Ohio back to Texas - got about 100 miles before ending up on a tow wagon. And that was after spending over $2,000 on replacing a bunch of worn out stuff.

I've now got the car to the point where I do trust it to go a decent distance, the fuel tank replacement was the last major component that was causing problems. I've done the exhaust, cooling, engine electrical etc. and now feel it would handle a road trip. In a few weeks time I'll also do all the suspension and steering components as I doubt they've been looked at in decades.

That said, I'm a hot rodder and I have a fresh 500 cube high comp engine with all the good stuff being built for the car as we speak, should hopefully be in by the June meet. At the same time as the engine goes in, the trans will be refreshed and i'll have the driveshaft rebuilt.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I had my '70 Fleetwood as a daily driver, by the time I gave it up, it needed bushings in one A frame and was in pretty sad shape. But I also had two kids in private colleges at the time. Surely you guys' '70s can make the trip! Great car.
I must have been using it in '77 as I drove it to one of the "Multi-Region" meets we had at the Speedway. 
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)