News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question about tranny kickdown rod for 57 dual quad.

Started by Acmemopars, February 12, 2018, 01:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acmemopars

When I acquired my car (1957 Eldorado Seville - 365 Dual Quad), there were a few pieces missing and I had to acquire. 

The kickdown rod was one of the items and I found an original rod on Ebay in good condition.

My questions are:

1.) Did GM make different kickdown rods for single & dual carburetor applications (OR) did they use the same rod ?

2.) Does anyone have a photo of how (where) it connects to the carbs ?

3.) Is this setup a single rod from the carbs to the tranny or is it a multiple rod application ?

4.) The rod I purchased is in the photo below:

Thank YOu
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
70 Sunroof Charger 1 of 1
56 F100

Dave Shepherd

Links no good.  Google 57 eldorado carb linkage, one pic has a good view of how that rod connects at the carb linkage.

savemy67

Hello Michael,

According to the '57 (and preceding years) shop manual, the transmission throttle valve rod on the '57 is a one-piece rod extending from the carb linkage to the throttle valve lever on the side of the transmission.  Adjustments are the same whether the car is a single carb or dual carb set-up.  The adjustment procedure and diagrams can be found here:

http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1957/1957%20Shop%20Manual/06-Hydra-Matic/image48.html

You may need to use the "next image/previous image" links on the page to get to the beginning of the adjustment procedure on the preceding page.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Roger Zimmermann

The rod is not the same for cars with a single carb or dual carb.
The attached picture is for a '57 Brougham, I suppose the regular models with dual carb set-up is identical.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Acmemopars

Thanks for all the great feedback.

From what I read:

It appears that I purchased the wrong rod
The TV rod for single carb is not the same for a dual carb setup

I've setup / adjusted a few kick down rods on different trannys (ford / GM, Mopar) so I understand the general idea but did not know I had the wrong TV rod.

Just looked and found several TV / kick down rods listed on eBay but none of them specify if they are for a single or dual carb application.  I sent messages to inquire....

Thanks for the feedback.
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
56 F100

savemy67

Hello Michael,

I apparently mis-understood your first question.  While there are two different rods, the adjustment procedure is the same.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Acmemopars

Thank You

When installing, does the rod go in from the top side or up through the bottom ?  (I tried both)

Thanks
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
56 F100