News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this under dash AC unit?

Started by MickeyCaddy, February 07, 2018, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyCaddy

Can anyone help me to identify this under dash AC unit? It sits below the dash of my 1955 6219 (Series 62 Sedan).

It appears that a small metal plate was installed over the spot where there may be a logo. I don't want to try to remove the plate and possibly damage it.

Thanks in advance!
â€"MC

MickeyCaddy

Just found it. It’s a MOPAR Cool Aire from around 1960. The logo on mine is covered by the small metal plate.

How it got under the dash of my Cadillac is a mystery; but it’s the strongest, coldest blower I’ve ever seen, by far.

The Tassie Devil(le)

All these were was a refrigeration unit and not a real Air Conditioner in the true sense of the word.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MickeyCaddy

Right. Doesn’t that apply to the factory-installed units of the 1950s as well?

I’m really glad I have it; I’m in Southern California and my car is black. Last summer I went for a drive in 110+ Fahrenheit; started out with the unit on high fan, full cold, for about 5 minutes; then lowered to low fan, medium temp setting, and was fine for the rest of the 30-minute drive. Temp guage never topped 2/3, and I was going 70 - 80 mph on the freeway.

Maybe it works so well because a new aftermarket compressor (Sanden brand) was installed a couple of years ago, before I bought my car...I don’t know.