News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Copart & Cadillac?

Started by 67_Eldo, February 07, 2018, 04:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Until this morning, I did not know that there is a relatively new Copart lot just a few miles from my house. I also did not know that a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado was in that lot, up for sale on Feb 8, 2018!

Once I made this discovery, I darted down to the Copart lot to take a peek at the car. Alas, I'm not a Copart "member" so I couldn't go in. Not only that, but even if I requested a membership, it would take at least three days to process. Even if I put cash on the counter, saying I'm ready to bid right now *for realz*, they said sorry. Too late. I thought this was odd. So I started researching the Copart mode of operation.

First, the car:

https://www.copart.com/lot/24509438

This car has been for sale in Kansas City for at least a year. Bouncing between Craigslist and eBay, the price started out at around $19k and dropped to about $9k before it disappeared from the radar a couple of months ago. You can look at the pics and judge how much it is worth to you. In my opinion, if you've clamped an aftermarket turn signal control to the steering column, the rest of the car probably hasn't been well maintained either. $9k was significantly more than I thought it was worth.

The new Copart Buy it Now price is $17k. Its Copart estimated value is $37k! If only!!!

I was going to bid $1k. :-)

But I can't bid. Even if I was a member, I'd still not be a "Dealer," and this car can be sold only to a "Dealer."

So after I abandoned the membership angle (which would have to include qualifying as a "Dealer"), I started looking for someone who might already have a Copart "Dealer" membership. I was thinking that if I could wander into a local, maybe small used-car lot or repair shop, and they'd be willing to place my $1k bid with Copart before the auction ends.

But I couldn't find a simple, local broker. All I can find are online broker services that force you to jump through as many hoops as Copart does, tacking on a $300+ fee for the privilege.

That broker's fee is over an above the myriad mysterious fees that Copart itself ladles onto the purchase price. Right now, I'm guessing that placing a $1k bid on that Eldo would cost around an additional $500! I don't think I'd go to $1500 total.

So here's how I think the Eldo seller wants this to play out. Since the car was in KS before and is from MO now (awaiting a title), the current owner probably picked the car up from the long-discouraged owner for maybe $5k (or less). He then went to Hagerty and copied the max 67 Eldo value as the "estimated" and thinks he'll pick up a cool $10k+ profit when he flips it. Since no real dealer in his right mind is going to plunk $17k for an Eldo with a tractor turn-signal adaptor clamped to the steering column (not to mention what other evil may be lurking underneath its vinyl top), the flipper hopes to prey on an un-savvy buyer living outside the USA who, the flipper hopes, will max out all of the hidden/crazy fees when the garden-variety Eldo is auctioned off.

This state of affairs really bugs me. It reeks of multiple levels of ripoff. And what a tangled web Copart deliberately weaves! What the heck is wrong with people like this? I hope that the seller is stuck with this car until the rust under the vinyl top allows the roof to cave in. And that the car leaks oil onto Copart's nice, clean concrete.

Anyway, there's a 1967 Eldorado for sale in Kansas City (not mine). :-)

cadillacmike68

Even if I way dying for a 1967  ElDorado, I wouldn't get that one...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

harvey b

That is the way Copart does business,they will take any car at all,they dont care that it is misrepresented or sold under false pretenses.I dealt with them for years until i got fed up with all the lies and BS they used,The eldorado was being sold with a reserve,when the bids ended they would contact the seller and see if it was enough.the majority of cars at copart are insurance write offs,when you buy them,they normally arent "doctored up",it is the consignments like the eldo you have to be wary of.Anyone know what it sold for.Harvey
Harvey Bowness

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   I have noticed Copart signs on yards recently and was wondering what the deal was.  I was thinking that 95% of their biz was likely 0-15 year old insurance cars.

I would have had the same thought as you finding out that you had to me a member looking for a small indy dealer. I guess its not a shock that you didn't find one and thinking about it if you did that $300 online fee may have been a better deal than they would have offered. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

67_Eldo

Not surprisingly, it didn't sell yesterday.

Surprisingly, the reserve wasn't met with a $9700 bid!

D.Yaros

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not a study of the pics show an odometer reading of 19954, and an oil change on 12/8/1976 at 88952 miles?

Ergo, may not one safely conclude the odometer has rolled over?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

67_Eldo

Ergo mileage is just a number (or numbers)! :-)

Here are a couple of photos from its prior eBay listing.

Bubbles underneath the vinyl top? They add character!

And who could resist an engine that sports a triangular air cleaner?

The Tassie Devil(le)

So, for this uninitiated person, what is Copart actually?

Is it simply a clearing house for corporate vendors?

And, what does the name actually stand for?   I thought it could be Co (Company) part sales, or Cop (Police) Art, or any other thing that could be made up with the letters.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I'm not sure if its like a franchise deal or just a national listing service but it seems like its a national auction service primarily used by insurance companies to sell 'totaled' cars.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Chuck Swanson

I have bid on cars using the broker services.   Some will hold 5-600 on your credit card as you bid.  Put a reminder on your calendar to get your deposit back if you not longer want to bid on cars.  I have always got my deposit back.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

67_Eldo

TJ Hopland

I wonder if the $9700 bid was real or just someone trying to drive the price up?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

67_Eldo

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 13, 2018, 10:42:25 AM
I wonder if the $9700 bid was real or just someone trying to drive the price up?
I wouldn't be surprised. He seems to be working many angles.

In the new eBay ad, he claims "the dash is crack free." I've attached a pic of the dash from the previous seller.

This guy lists a number of interesting cars, all with pretty pics. But if this car is an example, I'd stay far away from his offerings.

TJ Hopland

I just saw a video about copart and apparently it depends on the current title status of the vehicle and the states involved.  In theory there are states where anyone can buy a vehicle with a certain type of title class/condition.  Then there are other states and classes that require some sort of state license to buy.   This also means that in some states the buyer may need multiple licenses to be able to by any car in every possible condition.   Sounds like there is a big difference license requirement wise between something being sold for parts only never to be registered again and something with a 'clean' title.  My guess is the states are mostly after license fees and making sure they get all possible sales tax.   Keeping crooks from selling garbage as new is likely pretty low on the list.       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That poor Eldorado was beaten to death and given
a quick "fluff and buff" blue paint job.  Wonder what
gremlins lie underneath that shiny paint!  Yes, I
noticed the oil change sticker vs. the odo miles
as well.  Lots of miles on that puppy.

Run away -- don't walk -- quickly from that one!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

BJM

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 09, 2018, 06:12:10 PM
So, for this uninitiated person, what is Copart actually?

Is it simply a clearing house for corporate vendors?

And, what does the name actually stand for?   I thought it could be Co (Company) part sales, or Cop (Police) Art, or any other thing that could be made up with the letters.

Thanks,

Bruce
Not sure if you received an answer but Copart is essentially a salvage yard dealer who runs an auction.  In America there are many cars that can and do go to CoPart - which is simply a business name not a concept - before moving on. It's a clearing house of sorts.

Say you have a worn out high mileage car or SUV you trade in at the dealer and they give you a sympathy $1000 for it. They are essentially giving you $0.  They always send the car to an auction. If it's a bit nicer they might send it to a more legitimate auction that replenishes the cheesy used car lots on the bad side of town.

OR - it might go to CoPart.  You must be registered with CoPart and usually a dealer as has been mentioned for the ease of the transaction more than anything.  If the public could come in and buy these cars, especially the no reserve cars, than that can create a liability even though they are sold as is, where is. 

CoPart then auction the cars off. Some, and many - cars - end up at the local U Pick It Yard after no one wants them and the U Pick It Yard has an arrangement with CoPart and the dealers.  Some get purchased by "dealers" that repair the body damage and resell them. 

James Landi

By-the-way, that 67 is really a 68 Eldo -front fascia lights on fenders.   I especially am charmed by the oil change tag markings that was pointed out in a previous post. In essence the ad clearly states that we are presenting false information with the 19K reading, and if you need verification that we are phony, here's the evidence.   As they used to say decades ago when this car was new, "Like wow.   James

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: BJM on February 15, 2018, 10:32:06 AM
Bruce
Not sure if you received an answer but Copart is essentially a salvage yard dealer who runs an auction.  In America there are many cars that can and do go to CoPart - which is simply a business name not a concept - before moving on. It's a clearing house of sorts.   
Thanks Bryan,

You have explained it perfectly.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

67_Eldo

Now it's back on Craigslist in Lawrence, KS (30 miles west of Kansas City) at $12,800. What a deal!

https://lawrence.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1967-cadillac-eldorado-base/6496205714.html

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: James Landi on February 15, 2018, 01:57:27 PM
By-the-way, that 67 is really a 68 Eldo -front fascia lights on fenders.   I especially am charmed by the oil change tag markings that was pointed out in a previous post. In essence the ad clearly states that we are presenting false information with the 19K reading, and if you need verification that we are phony, here's the evidence.   As they used to say decades ago when this car was new, "Like wow.   James
It's a 67 that has 68 parking lights added!! NO one guarantees the mileage on a car that old.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.