News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What year did Cadillac stop being the "Standard of the World"?

Started by chrisntam, February 07, 2018, 09:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e.mason

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 13, 2018, 09:03:14 PM
Trucks ride a lot better when there is a load on the back.

Their suspension is designed for a load.

I know my Ranchero likes at least a quarter of a ton in the back.   A Ton, I have to inflate the tyres to 65 Lbs, and the rear is riding on the suspension rubbers.

Bruce. >:D

...but is the Ranchero Squire really a truck?

The Ford Ranchero is a coupe utility that was produced by Ford between 1957 and 1979. Unlike a pickup truck, the Ranchero was adapted from a two-door station wagon platform that integrated the cab and cargo bed into the body. A total of 508,355 units were produced during the model's production run.[1] It was adapted from full-sized, compact, and intermediate automobiles sold by Ford for the North American market.

During the 1970s, the Ranchero name was used in the South African market on a rebadged Australian Ford Falcon utility. These vehicles were sent to South Africa in complete knock down (CKD) form, and assembled at the Port Elizabeth plant.[2] In Argentina, a utility version of the locally produced Ford Falcon was also called Ranchero.

The Ford Ranchero sold well enough to spawn a competitor from General Motors in 1959, the Chevrolet El Camino.
Eric Mason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: e.mason on February 13, 2018, 09:11:40 PM
...but is the Ranchero Squire really a truck?   
No, but the registration plates that were on it when I imported it in 1989 read across the top "Texas Truck".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

e.mason

Eric Mason

C Gorgas

I have driven Cadillacs since the 1950's and believe the 1976 was the last of the best and there has been a steady decline since. They are fine cars now but not the Standard of the World. chet 445

Seville1957

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 08, 2018, 12:30:51 AM
The following is my opinion:

Personally, and I'm a girl, the *ENTIRE* American auto industry died in 1972 and took all the breeds with them. Alleged emissions mandates took over and to this day destroyed one of the things that made America great, our auto industry. Getting unicorn farts to come out of our tailpipes wasn't enough, its never enough when the government gets involved, manufactures were mandated to get 100mpg. Now our cars are made out of recycled soda cans and plastic, are measured in pounds instead of tons, have more computers than the Space Shuttle which simply makes the cars more expensive to own (a backdoor 'car ban' in my mind), 3 billion tax dollars thrown away on 'cash for clunkers' which was another back door tax on the poor, 80 billon thrown away to prop up manufacturers for creating cars no body wanted because they were JUNK, simply to appease a union voting block. I would have let GM and Chrysler fail. If you run a business, either GM or a flower shop, you need to know your customer and cater to them, otherwise you are starving. Hard to learn a lesson when you're rewarded for failure. Ask any one who owns a 'slade with their aluminum foil tranny's if the bail out resulted in a higher quality product.

So, to answer the question, Cadillac stopped being the "Standard of the World" in 1971 - again in my humble opinion. You can put all the wowie, wiz-bang tech you want in a car and all the luxury items as well. The bottom line is that car has to start in the morning and be reliable transportation for YEARS, mntx schedules being well followed is implied. When was the last time 'anyone' made a reliable car.... at any standard....

Laurie?

I Couldn't agree more Laurie