News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What year did Cadillac stop being the "Standard of the World"?

Started by chrisntam, February 07, 2018, 09:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Bentley on February 08, 2018, 03:33:42 PM
I would have to agree with John Emerson. It ended in 1979. I don't know about sales numbers, but I remember out here in the Southwest, the Mercedes sedans started getting popular around 1980. The fit and finish on the exteriors and the leather interiors just looked so much better in those cars. And they had a reputation for quality. And that is when Cadillac started to become less relevant.

I think Cadillac started feeling the heat from luxury imports like Mercedes-Benz in the 1970s, a reason for the introduction of the "internationally sized" Seville in 1975.  Lincoln was also starting to gain a lot of traction in the marketplace, more than tripling sales in the U.S. between 1970 and 1978 (1979 was a down year).

Mercedes wouldn't actually beat Cadillac in sales in the U.S. until the late 1990s but for the last few years Mercedes has been selling more vehicles annually in the U.S. than Cadillac was every able to in its entire history.  Reasons for this include a strong crossover/SUV portfolio plus lower and lower pricing.  In the 1980s, the "cheap" Mercedes (190) started at over $55K inflation adjusted while today Mercedes has several model lines starting less than that including the CLA which has a base price under $33K!

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: jdemerson on February 08, 2018, 04:32:07 PM
I do believe that the 1980 Lincoln Continental and Mark VI, downsized by 14 inches and nearly 1000 pounds, were responding to Cadillac's lead. Same for 1982 Continental. In 1980 they had fuel injection and floating cushion velour seats, perhaps inspired by Cadillac's lead.

Imperial was a second-rate player by this era, but the 1981 - 1983 Imperial two-door resembled, at least a little, the 1979 Eldorado and 1980 Seville.  In style, I'm looking at the classic grill and the bustle-back. Of course Imperial wasn't close to Cadillac then, and it died in '83.

I would say downsizing was more of an industry driven than Cadillac driven situation.   Cadillac's 1977 downsizing simply followed what GM was doing with all of their various full size models across the board.

I certainly agree that Lincoln and Imperial “emulated” the bustle-back style of the 1980 Seville with their models.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 08, 2018, 05:06:29 PM
Still haven't heard any objective criteria for "Standard of the World". The case can be made for any number of model years that may be pointed to in which Cadillac lost "something", depending on what is important to whom.

Yep.  Much like trying to pick the "best" year(s) for Cadillac, picking when Cadillac lost its touch can end up being very subjective.  There are going to be differing opinions.

64\/54Cadillacking

The Lincoln Town Car really started to make headwinds staring in the 80’s and early 90’s when the 5.0 and 4.6 engines came out. These cars were very reliable and mostly trouble free compared to the 80’s Caddy/Olds Diesel engine and the terrible V8-6-4.

I guess another reason why I love the 77-79 Cads is because of movies like Goodfellas and Donnie Brasco.

They were official cars of the mob ( including the Town Car). I enjoy being different, having cars hardly anybody owns anymore , and our old Caddies is a reflection of our uniqueness in a world where the majority of car guys would rather own classic muscle cars and hot rods. Those are not for me, no thanks.

Caddies are made to cruise and looking cool. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

e.mason

From the replies.  It appears as though the question could have been subtitled "What year did Cadillac stop being the luxury car leader"?
Eric Mason

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: D.Smith on February 07, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
I think he was referring to their ad tag line.

They changed "Standard of the world" to "An American Standard for the world" in 1981.   
The 1982 slogan was "Best of all it's a Cadillac" but the ad text still mentioned the "American Standard of the world" phrase.    That is the last I saw of it mentioned in my archives. 

That would also be around the time of the Cimarron and the 4100 engine...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

That is a good question, and I guess we agree they are not now.

Looking at the Cadillacs we all admire and like to collect is maybe a good perspective.  For me the last year of standard of the world dominance was 1979.  The 1930's (V-12 and V-16's established it) thru early 1970's (500 engine) demonstrated that Cadillac was by far the standard of the world.

My friends parents bought a 1979 Lincoln and they hated it and let us teenagers drive it all the time - they could have cared less if we wrecked it, but we did not.  So clearly the Caddy was superior in 1979.  Then on a limited basis the Broughams from the late 1980's (with 5.7) through 1996 Fleetwood was one model to envy. 

Where is that darn full size RWD V-8 powered large sedan by Cadillac?  Where is the Cadillac flagship that is not a 4 door sedan promised?  The automotive industry has peaked and begun a slight inevitable decline, hope it does not impact Cadillac too badly in near future.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

INTMD8

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 08, 2018, 09:10:20 AM
Depends on the definition of "Standard of the World"...

Anybody want to have a go at that one?   ::)

That is a good question, I don't know.  Saying you are the standard of the world isn't saying you are the best in the world, correct?

Was a V16 Cadillac a "better" car than a supercharged Duesenberg or Marmon V16?

76Caddy

Though others will disagree, and with the knowledge to prove me wrong.  I still say Cadillac was and still is the "Standard of the World".  One mans opinion.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Tonyv_73

having driven Cadillacs from the 50’s to the 2000’s, I would say that in terms of quality, everything deminished over time, not just Cadillacs, that being said, for me I favor full size  Cadillacs from 1996-1986, and 1981 to 1930’s. They call have their ups and downs, obviously the diesel, the 8-6-4, the 4100, and even the northstar have hurt cadillac reputation, but I feel downsizing and making economy cars was a big mistake. I understand that it had to be done, but looking back at what cadillacs still have value, I can’t see a Cimarron ever gaining a following like a 92 Brougham.  Yes late 80’s and early 90’s cadillac have a lot of plastic and are a bit tacky, but look at any car from that era and you’ll see the same quality
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

e.mason

Quote from: Tonyv_73 on February 10, 2018, 12:45:49 PM
having driven Cadillacs from the 50’s to the 2000’s, I would say that in terms of quality, everything deminished over time, not just Cadillacs, that being said, for me I favor full size  Cadillacs from 1996-1986, and 1981 to 1930’s. They call have their ups and downs, obviously the diesel, the 8-6-4, the 4100, and even the northstar have hurt cadillac reputation, but I feel downsizing and making economy cars was a big mistake. I understand that it had to be done, but looking back at what cadillacs still have value, I can’t see a Cimarron ever gaining a following like a 92 Brougham.  Yes late 80’s and early 90’s cadillac have a lot of plastic and are a bit tacky, but look at any car from that era and you’ll see the same quality

Lets us all not lose site of the fact.  That Cadillac is nothing more then a product from GM to produce a product, to make a profit.  They are not in the business to make collectibles.  Danbury Mint does that.
Eric Mason

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: e.mason on February 10, 2018, 01:10:55 PM
Lets us all not lose site of the fact.  That Cadillac is nothing more then a product from GM to produce a product, to make a profit.  They are not in the business to make collectibles.  Danbury Mint does that.

This is true, but I think even executives and even people building the cars at assembly plants would even admit that by the 70’s and 80’s Cadillac cost cutted and heavily  cheapend it’s product. This goes for all car lines too, but being a luxury car line, you’d think that GM would have made Cadillac a little more insulated from the $$$ axe.

I’ve spoken with a couple of Caddy guys I know which have rode or own many old Caddies over the years, and they both admit Cadillac lost some of their flair and quality in the 70’s. That doesn’t mean they are bad cars, because they’re weren’t, as they still rode fantastic, we’re reliable and were extremely comfortable to drive.

To this day, I still haven’t rode in anything new that rides as nice and smooth as full size RWD Cadillacs from the past (including my 78 Lincoln). It’s crazy because you hear about automakers coming up with new suspension systems and yet there cars still don’t even coming close to riding as smooth and isolated as big old school Caddies.

You really can’t imitate a big car ride in a small or midsize car it’s not physically possible.

The simplicity of a RWD 4 link rear suspension and front SLA suspension with a massive 130 inch wheelbase, a full frame underneath is still unbeatable in riding comfort. The only thing that is somewhat comparable would be a an extended wheelbase S-Class Benz. But why spend over $100,000 on blandish vanilla looking sedan when you can spend only $20,000 for a clean, stylish massive smooth riding Cadillac from the 60’s and 70’s that will not only get more attention on the road but will probably be even more comfortable to drive and ride in than that fancy complex S-Class. That’s if you could make do without all the tech in your life.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

e.mason

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on February 10, 2018, 09:33:59 PM
This is true, but I think even executives and even people building the cars at assembly plants would even admit that by the 70’s and 80’s Cadillac cost cutted and heavily  cheapend it’s product. This goes for all car lines too, but being a luxury car line, you’d think that GM would have made Cadillac a little more insulated from the $$$ axe.

I’ve spoken with a couple of Caddy guys I know which have rode or own many old Caddies over the years, and they both admit Cadillac lost some of their flair and quality in the 70’s. That doesn’t mean they are bad cars, because they’re weren’t, as they still rode fantastic, we’re reliable and were extremely comfortable to drive.

To this day, I still haven’t rode in anything new that rides as nice and smooth as full size RWD Cadillacs from the past (including my 78 Lincoln). It’s crazy because you hear about automakers coming up with new suspension systems and yet there cars still don’t even coming close to riding as smooth and isolated as big old school Caddies.

You really can’t imitate a big car ride in a small or midsize car it’s not physically possible.

The simplicity of a RWD 4 link rear suspension and front SLA suspension with a massive 130 inch wheelbase, a full frame underneath is still unbeatable in riding comfort. The only thing that is somewhat comparable would be a an extended wheelbase S-Class Benz. But why spend over $100,000 on blandish vanilla looking sedan when you can spend only $20,000 for a clean, stylish massive smooth riding Cadillac from the 60’s and 70’s that will not only get more attention on the road but will probably be even more comfortable to drive and ride in than that fancy complex S-Class. That’s if you could make do without all the tech in your life.

Well thought out and written.  While I completely agree.  Here's the thing.  That soft ride of Cadillacs of the past, is no more the standard by which todays rides are measured by.  Blame on McPherson struts and rack and pinion steering, which gave us the rougher European ride which became the new standard.
Eric Mason

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: e.mason on February 10, 2018, 09:50:53 PM

Well thought out and written.  While I completely agree.  Here's the thing.  That soft ride of Cadillacs of the past, is no more the standard by which todays rides are measured by.  Blame on McPherson struts and rack and pinion steering, which gave us the rougher European ride which became the new standard.

Definitely! A firm, stiff ride with low pro tires is fine if you live in a area where your infrastructure is in great shape, and your streets are as smooth as a babies bottom. But for everyone that lives in CA, NYC, most East Coast cities or anyplace with crumbling roads and bridges that are littered with crater sized potholes and eneven rough pavement, then the soft big Caddies are the perfect car to drive to get you home stress free. Americans somehow forgot what a true smooth ride feels like unfortunately. It doesn’t help matters that the American automakers abandoned tuning their cars for that soft smooth ride that made them world renown for.

As our infrastructure keeps getting worse Americans might yearn for a smoother less jolting ride in the future.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

e.mason

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on February 10, 2018, 11:37:10 PM
As our infrastructure keeps getting worse Americans might yearn for a smoother less jolting ride in the future.

I am far from being an International Traveler, and like Will Rodgers.  I only know what I read in the newspapers.  I am under the impression that in the past, foreign roadways weren't as smooth as us Yanks are used to.  Hence the imports had to have stiffer suspensions.  When the imports started to invade our shores in great numbers.  The became the new "standard" as to what a car should be.  They could do no wrong.  Its called the herd mentality.  Mostly the German imports gave us the stiff ride, and the feeling that the driver was part of the road.  Along the way, those of us that grew up in the 50's and beyond, were quickly mixed with the younger generations, who grew up with an entirely perception of what a car should feel like.
Eric Mason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: e.mason on February 10, 2018, 09:50:53 PM

I. for one, are not a fan of the rough euro ride, not to mention what even a medium size pothole will do to your tire / wheel.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is why I love the Eldorado with the 235 x 75 x 15 tyres.

I purchased a car that some snoozer had fitted 20" wheels, in place of the factory 17", and the rice was that hard, that when a tyre went flat, the only way I knew was the noise of the rim grinding on the road surface.

Put on a set of 17" factory rims, and it was still rough, but not as bad.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

e.mason

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 13, 2018, 07:10:48 PM
I. for one, are not a fan of the rough euro ride, not to mention what even a medium size pothole will do to your tire / wheel.

Hear, hear Mike, I am on the same page as you.  I grew up and still enjoy the "floating on a cloud" ride of the cars of the past.  What is somewhat ironic.  Trucks that always rode like, well trucks, have been upgraded for smoother rides, while cars have gone the other way.  Its all part of the evolution of what cars and what people want in modern cars. Most younger consumers have a different meaning and standard of what defines "luxury".
Eric Mason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: e.mason on February 13, 2018, 08:52:39 PM
.......What is somewhat ironic.  Trucks that always rode like, well trucks, have been upgraded for smoother rides, while cars have gone the other way. .......
Trucks ride a lot better when there is a load on the back.

Their suspension is designed for a load.

I know my Ranchero likes at least a quarter of a ton in the back.   A Ton, I have to inflate the tyres to 65 Lbs, and the rear is riding on the suspension rubbers.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon