News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac King - Junkyard 411 for the novice

Started by Crow331, February 08, 2018, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car junkie

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 08, 2018, 11:24:34 PM
Whatever happens... bring LOTS of money!!!

Amen to that, Especially when Cadillac king is involved.  :o
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Crow331

Well it took 11 days, several false promises, at least 6 phones calls (in which they put me on hold for extended periods and then said 'let me call you back', and then no call back) but I finally got my parts today. I came to them for a front and rear dash and a windshield. They said they would have to get the parts from their junkyard in Victorville and it would take until the end of the week or possibly Monday. It's Thursday. The biggest thing that pissed me off was them not returning calls when they said they would call me back.

The other thing was, the parts they showed me were from the rafters in their garage on site, they did not come from Victorville like they said, which was why I thought I was waiting for 11 days for the parts. If the parts are literally sitting right there, why did I have to wait 11 days?? They literally pulled the windshield out this morning (give us '30 minutes' went on for 2 hours and my buddy who was going to help me transport had to cancel. Luckily I took the chance and squeezed it in my Jeep and it arrived to the shop safely), also from a car right there on site and I also felt like I "settled" for less than the perfect dash that I was promised.

I would definitely think twice before using them again. I wouldn't call them crooks more like they are under-staffed. The owner and one other guy answering calls and the phone just rang off the hook both times I was there. Also because he has so many cars I think he just says "yes I have the part" because he assumes he does because of all the cars he has! The problem is the time it takes him to find the part.

59-in-pieces

Crow...
You are the most charitable guy who has posted their experiences with the KING.
I will post a portion from my earlier post --------
"Unless you have truly knocked yourself out looking on the forumS, Craig's ListS- national, and eBay, go get the unobtainium at THEIR price and consider yourself lucky - cuz, the next guy who looks will beat you out of it, unless you got the last one, first."
That was my charitable comment.
For those who may be reading the other accounts - including mine and Crow...'s - read the lines and between the lines about this supplier, before you as Crow puts it " I also felt like I "settled" for less than the perfect dash that I was promised."
Caveat Emptor .......
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

They are definitely my vendor of LAST RESORT.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

David Greenburg

Me too, Mike.  And the problem is that they know that!  And price accordingly.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillacmike68

Yeah, they pretty much know that if you are calling them, that you've already called everywhere else.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TD Alex

Looking for warnings about Cadillac King.  Found this stream from four years back.  I can attest nothing has changed with Tom there.  Document everything and be prepared to go to CC company if you have to get a refund.  In other words  BUYER BE WARE
1967 Sedan DeVille
2007 Jaguar XK Conv
1998 Land Rover Range Rover
1992 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1985 Cadillac Eldorado
1972 Chevorlet Caprice Classic Convertable
1972 Buick Electra Custom Limited
1970 1/2 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Convertable
1967 Ford LTD
1967 Volkswagon Micro Bus step thru
1965 Volkswago Fastback

jaxops

Perhaps things have changed but I had a good experience with them when I was restoring my '56 Cadillac.  I guess I knew what I was getting (from a junkyard) and since it was a limousine, parts were extraordinarily hard to get.  The few pieces I bought were decent enough to restore.  This was 15-20 years ago though.

I sure do miss roaming the junkyards.  The wife and I used to get Buick parts (yes, I said "Buick") for our '70 Electra daily driver in PA, Jax (FLA), and here in Norva.  There used to be a great Ford junkyard in Suffolk, VA that we went to often for interior parts or lens assemblies for the Crown Victorias.  The InterNet online parts and unbridled home construction really did a lot of those once-isolated yards in!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

James Landi

"Did anyone else have the issue I always seemed to have going to the junkyard where most of the time the cars you were taking parts off of were nicer than the one you were buying the parts for?   That was the depressing aspect of junking."

Oh my yes, TJ---   back in the mid-60's when I was driving my first '56 Cadillac, I needed a rear door...and there were several '56's that looked like they were junked well before their time-- with fabric front seats that and interiors that showed less wear than my car.  These visits to junk yards back in the day, always created an "emotional" reset, so that I would feel great about finding not only the part I needed but other parts that I might use, and, in contrast, feeling somewhat depressed at viewing some of automotive carnage that was very visible in these yards for "the shopper."  James

Frank g

Good luck .I live in Connecticut anyone know if any of these in the northeast ?
Frank

Scot Minesinger

I have enjoyed a positive experience over the last decade with Cadillac King.  Prices are up there, not outrageous, but you can count on them.  If you want a part - it is a good option.  If you want an experience, maybe a Cadillac show is better.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

DBOT805

Desert Valley Auto Parts in AZ, have a fair inventory of Cad parts,and actually are quite fair and legit.I purchased a 60Cad crossmember for 200$.Couldnt believe they cut up chassis to do so.Replacing that member into existing chassis,was one of craziest feats,Ive ever done.Too insane to list here,but did it!!