News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac options you cannot live without

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 10, 2018, 10:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

State the year of Cadillac and what options you cannot live without, I will start:

1970 Cadillac

1.  Climate control, very rare to include this on that year, I would probably add it if it did not have it, as it became easier to do so in 1969.  I have all the parts and would probably have to take it apart anyway on a 1969/70 Cadillac purchase with it to restore it anyway.

2.  Tilt wheel - I always change the column if it does not have it - cruise is a pain to do this with.

3.  Twilight Sentinal - easy to add if it did not come with it.

4.  Trunk release - again easy to add if it did not come with it.

5.  Passenger side mirror - also easy to add, just got to find a correct one, but would even settle for a wrong one because they are all close and look awesome.

These are the basic, must have options for me on a 1970 Cadillac.

Other options that are nice but not essential are leather interior (will change it to that if cloth is shot - need to change to wood panels too if you do it), cruise control and dual comfort seats.  Not interested in posi (possible sign of a Northern salt area car).  Cruise I can take or leave - have two 1970 Cadillacs with it and they work nice.

Enjoy your Cadillac,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

67_Eldo

1967 Eldorado (or any other, for that matter)

1. Cruise control. These things are built for cruising down the Interstate. If you've got all that interior room but are pinned to one position because you need to keep your right foot on the throttle, that's a tragic waste of space. Also, there's less fatigue when using cruise. I added a Rostra cruise to mine and after a bit of fiddling it works great.

2. Disc brakes (at least in front). Back in the day, maybe the brakes could be marginal. Not anymore. There are too many cars & crazies & phone-obsessives now. The 67 - 68 disc brakes are not popular but mine work extremely well.

3. Air conditioning. I don't care whether or not it is of the automatic variety. I just know it is necessary when cruising very long distances (see #1).

Eldorado James

I'm going to sit back and wait for somebody to say "Weather Band Radio" or Toaster Seats (errrrr...heated seats).

Actually Cruise Control is one of my favorites, seems essential when flying down the interstate with the top down.   The split power seats with the recliners are always appreciated for comfort.  Illuminated entry was a nice touch so you could see your door lock in dark alleys at night....and be sure that nobody was lurking in the back seat of your Fleetwood.  :)
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

76Caddy

Tilt & telescopic, auto dimming, twilight sentinel, power door locks, delay wipers, rear defroster, trunk release w/pull down, automatic climate control.  Not having these on years they were available are deal breakers for me.  I did however relent on 1 option on the '67 Eldo, no rear defroster (which if I can find one, will add it during restoration). 

As a side note in regards to options: I've gone to look at at Cads that were advertised as being "fully loaded" only to find it bare bones.  When confronting the seller on this, he says "it's got pwr steering and brakes, pwr windows and seat.  Some think these standard features make it "loaded".

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Bob Kielar

1955 Fleetwood.

1. Power Steering
2. Power Brakes
3. Heater
4. Power Windows
5. Air Conditioning 

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

chrisntam

1970 Deville

1) air conditioning
2) cruise control
3) twilight sentinel
4) trumpet horn (I'm known to just honk the horn driving down the road just so I can hear all four horns)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

I find it interesting that on some of my cars there are a lot of options that were not ordered on the car.

For example, my 70 convert does not have cruise, tint/tele, or the headlight options.  No power trunk however it is a 30,000 mile all original car. Has R/H door mirror

My 70 eldo does not have cruise or headlight options and has a MONO Fm radio.  Luckily is has tilt/tele. also no power trunk but has a bucket seat all leather interior and is a one owner (before me) all original car with 15,600 miles on it.  No R/H door mirror.

The 76 Eldo convert has most options but no headlight options and no cruise.

I thought the point of buying a Cadillac was to get all of the options to show off to your friends!

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

pmhowe

1935 Cadillac Town Sedan
1. Peep mirrors. The rear view visibility is awful, and backing into a parking spot is a real challenge.

Phil

DaveZ

1932 Town Sedan
Echo Phil....If you have side mounts side mount mirrors

Quote from: pmhowe on February 10, 2018, 09:54:42 PM
1935 Cadillac Town Sedan
1. Peep mirrors. The rear view visibility is awful, and backing into a parking spot is a real challenge.

Phil
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Bill Balkie 24172

The one thing that was standard on all cadillac from the mid 60's  till not sure when  was  the cornering lights . When you activated your turn signal it would light up the complete corner,  and they were bright .  I always thought that was a great Standard feature . Now i am forced to live without .

Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Barry M Wheeler #2189

One thing I love about the '91 Seville is that it has "nearly everything." I finally feel like I'm driving a Cadillac again. In Indiana one thing that really is nice to have is the rear window defroster. Just flipping a switch to clear your window is a real plus. It doesn't have heated seats, but that's the only option our ATS has. I have to flip that on right away so Gay will not complain about the cold air on her legs. What I hate about the modern cars is having cool air and warm air come out of vents that are "together" and being told that "everything is within specs."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

My one thing that is a deal breaker for me is air conditioning.  I would take a Cadillac completely stripped down with air conditioning before I would take one with most options without air conditioning.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jason Edge

1964 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
- am/fm radio - while I admire the am only wonderbar I like having access to my fm stations. Although I can just as easily throw the blue tooth boom box in the back seat and have access to almost limitless music stored and via apps off the iPhone, a car just feels like it is missing something if it does not have an fm radio to scan through and check out what's on the local airwaves.

Other than that is it either for comfort or showing off!  For showing off it is definitely the power vent windows. I go to the local car shows with the sea of other GM, Ford and Chrysler makes with their manual crank windows and while the owners are already impressed with the power seats and windows,  that have their "Wow, that's a Cadillac moment" when I show them the power vent windows... and it is nice to also be able to throw air over from the passenger side when I a cruising around with the windows down.
I also like the tilt steering I swapped into the car way back, and will probably get around to swapping in the Cruise at some point, maybe this year.
Coming from a muscle car background, I really enjoy the fact that with my optional controlled differential, I can do a 2 wheel fish tail burnout if I have the urge. Luckily, I really only had the urge right after I installed it way back. It sure felt good! Not quite the rocket ship blast my '68 Camaro provided back in the day, but still made my Hot Rod Heart jump a beat!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

jdemerson

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on February 11, 2018, 03:10:40 PM
       The one thing that was standard on all cadillac from the mid 60's  till not sure when  was  the cornering lights . When you activated your turn signal it would light up the complete corner,  and they were bright .  I always thought that was a great Standard feature . Now i am forced to live without .

Bill
Agree!
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

David Greenburg

Also a fan of power vent windows. True decadence.  All of my Cads have had them, starting with the ‘59 CDV I bought when I was 13.  The more the merrier.  Why have only 2 when you can have 4?  But excluding he models on which they were standard, a surprisingly rare option when compared to Lincolns and Imperials of the era.  On the other hand, I do wish my Fleetwood had power door locks as a practical matter.  That’s a lot of real estate to cover when trying to lock all the doors.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT