News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Restoration Reference Manuals Needs - Inquiry

Started by BJM, February 10, 2018, 05:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I just purchased a nice set of manuals for the restoration of my 1968 Eldorado and want to make sure I am not missing a manual or book.

1968 Cadillac Shop Manual
1968 Fisher Body Manual
Both of these on a CD. 
Both  manuals are in excellent condition.

Is there an independent book or something else I could use? 

chrisntam

As far as "repair" manuals, no, you have them both.

I have the actual manuals, not the CD version, does that work well for you?

I find that the "body" manual is lacking in detail for my year (1970).

Some others have "parts" manuals that would show parts that are interchangeable from year to year.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

67_Eldo

I too have those two manuals on CD and they work well.

Then I found The Motor Bookstore that has those two manuals plus the illustrated parts catalog and the master parts book which are very handy as well.

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/cadillac-factory-service-manuals-cd.html

BJM

Quote from: chrisntam on February 10, 2018, 06:39:12 PM
As far as "repair" manuals, no, you have them both.

I find that the "body" manual is lacking in detail for my year (1970).

Some others have "parts" manuals that would show parts that are interchangeable from year to year.

chris.

Chris:
Sorry my post is deceiving. The purchase I made was for the 2 paper manuals and a CD and a 21 page owners manual.

BJM

Quote from: 67_Eldo on February 10, 2018, 06:51:41 PM
I too have those two manuals on CD and they work well.

Then I found The Motor Bookstore that has those two manuals plus the illustrated parts catalog and the master parts book which are very handy as well.

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/cadillac-factory-service-manuals-cd.html
Parts catalog I forgot that one.

Which leads to another question- what VENDOR catalogs should I get? 

I am a CLC member but mistakenly got the "on Line" membership so don't have a paper Self Starter yet. 

35-709

No such thing as a "vendor catalog" that I am aware of.  If you want a List of Vendors, visit the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Modified Chapter for the
   NEW Huge List of Cadillac Parts Vendors.
There is no recommendation of any vendor implied although an attempt has been made to weed out the less desirable ones through customer/member feedback.  It is also not an all inclusive list and it is not necessarily maintained on a regular basis.

Go here --- https://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/    click on Discussion --- look down to the 4th listed subject.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

BJM

Quote from: 35-709 on February 10, 2018, 07:14:10 PM
No such thing as a "vendor catalog" that I am aware of.  If you want a List of Vendors, visit the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Modified Chapter for the
   NEW Huge List of Cadillac Parts Vendors.
There is no recommendation of any vendor implied although an attempt has been made to weed out the less desirable ones through customer/member feedback.  It is also not an all inclusive list and it is not necessarily maintained on a regular basis.

Go here --- https://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/    click on Discussion --- look down to the 4th listed subject.

Thank you. A Vendor is a business that sells parts and services for Cadillacs. 

I was not looking for a handout or ? that lists all vendors.   I need to order the PAPER vendor catalogs because I find websites to be hard to navigate. 

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: chrisntam on February 10, 2018, 06:39:12 PM

I actually like the CD version. I have them on my phone so I can access them anytime......... you know, those long days at work. If I am going to do a project then I can just screenshot the pages I need so that they are easily accessible. If I really need to I can just print the page. This way I can get it dirty and just throw it away when done.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

67_Eldo

I put the PDFs on a flash drive on the key ring. That way I can tell anybody who needs to work on it that all possible info is right there with the keys.

Of course nobody ever takes me up on that offer.

Scot Minesinger

I have the book manuals, which are used originals and work best for me, you add notes and etc.

Yes the Fisher body manual is not that good, but better than nothing.  It really helped me adjust my convertible top mechanism.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

BJM

Not that I am an expert by any means but I plan to keep a journal and notes, photos. Should help anyone contemplating a FWD Eldorado 1st gen restoration.  Maybe scare them off.