News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

32 Cadillac V12 Exhaust Manifolds needed

Started by Alex D., February 11, 2018, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex D.

After sandblasting my heavily pitted Exhaust manifolds I found a hairline crack. It's possible that this crack can be repaired but I would rather find some good replacements that do not have the heavy pitting. Any leads or advice is appreciated.

Alex D.
1932 370B  V12

Bobby B

Quote from: Alex D. on February 11, 2018, 04:28:42 PM
After sandblasting my heavily pitted Exhaust manifolds I found a hairline crack. It's possible that this crack can be repaired but I would rather find some good replacements that do not have the heavy pitting. Any leads or advice is appreciated.

Alex,
Hi. It's not so much the pitting, but the repair. Needs to be done by someone who does cast iron. Pre-heated, and most likely with a Ni-Rod.
                                                                                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have had good success with Metal Spraying.   Even joined dissimilar metals with Metal Spraying.   Came in handy when doing engine conversions, and RHD conversions as well.

BUT, you will need to go to a large engineering shop, as the gear and the powder isn't cheap.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 11, 2018, 09:09:48 PM
I have had good success with Metal Spraying.   Even joined dissimilar metals with Metal Spraying.   

Bruce,
Hi. Are you referring to the "Crack", or just filling in the pits, similar to spray-able body filler (aka) "Sandy"? I didn't know anything spray-able could withstand the heating/cooling cycle of exhaust manifolds and their temperatures.
                                                                           Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

The crack, and filling areas as well if required.

As for spray-able, this metal spraying isn't like normal painting, but actual oxy-acetylene heated, using a special torch with a canister holder, a bit like a a gravity-feed spray gun, but very high temperatures.   It actually plays molten metal into the gap to be filled, or metals to be joined.
https://www.castolin.com/sites/default/files/product/downloads/Eutalloy-powder-spray-fusing.pdf

Back in the '80's, when I was into conversions and engine changes, it came in very handy when moving a steering box from left to right, and the exhaust manifolds were only built for clearance in the LHD configuration.    Made conversions a lot easier when one wasn't constrained by a manifold outlet that got in the way.

The process used up large amounts of Oxygen and Acetylene, and one had to make sure that there were sufficient reserve tanks of gas to complete the task.

A friend who worked in the Mining Industry had the equipment, and we managed to do a number of repairs and alterations, and never had a failure.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 11, 2018, 10:31:14 PM
The crack, and filling areas as well if required.

As for spray-able, this metal spraying isn't like normal painting, but actual oxy-acetylene heated, using a special torch with a canister holder, a bit like a a gravity-feed spray gun, but very high temperatures.   It actually plays molten metal into the gap to be filled, or metals to be joined.
https://www.castolin.com/sites/default/files/product/downloads/Eutalloy-powder-spray-fusing.pdf

Back in the '80's, when I was into conversions and engine changes, it came in very handy when moving a steering box from left to right, and the exhaust manifolds were only built for clearance in the LHD configuration.    Made conversions a lot easier when one wasn't constrained by a manifold outlet that got in the way.

The process used up large amounts of Oxygen and Acetylene, and one had to make sure that there were sufficient reserve tanks of gas to complete the task.

A friend who worked in the Mining Industry had the equipment, and we managed to do a number of repairs and alterations, and never had a failure.

Bruce,
Thanks...Good to know. I have to look into it to see if anyone does it here in the States.
                                               Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH