News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

While I'm waiting for the service manual can you tell me what this is?

Started by Crow331, February 11, 2018, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow331

The car noob has a question and I'm still waiting for my service manual to show up :)

What is this? Right side in front of the radiator. The hose on the right in the picture is not connected anywhere and I can't figure out where it came off from. A diagram would be lovely!

Thanks all!

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Crow331

TJ Hopland

I don't remember the full official name but most people call it the charcoal canister.   Its an evaporative emissions device.   

Fuel tank is in theory sealed but has a 5/16 line from the tank to that canister.  Canister has some sort of charcoal media in it that is supposed to trap gas vapors.   When engine is running the hose to the carb is supposed to suck some air through the filter element in the bottom and pass the charcoal on the way drawing up those vapors along the way so they can be properly burnt rather than just escaping into the air.     

These were the earliest version of the system as time went on they added more lines and eventually solenoids to more precisely control them.    In the 90's they got the great idea to mount them behind the rear wheel.   No chance for any dirt to get in em there.   

Sometimes you can get gas in em if you really overfill the tank.   Either from gas or just age the 'bag' that holds the charcoal can fail and let the charcoal get sucked into the carb.   Quick fix for that was to install an inline fuel filter between the carb and canister.    IF you were thinking of eliminating it plug the carb end but note that the tank end is the only vent for the tank so it can't be plugged.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason