News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado Oil Dipstick and Cruise Control

Started by Flyer, February 14, 2018, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I recently purchased a very nice 1967 Eldorado and am working thru some of the issues that the car has. My first question is the oil dipstick. The service manual and owners manual call for 4 quarts of oil at an oil change and 5 if the filter is changed. I changed the oil and filter, put in 5 quarts and the dip stick indicates a quart low. The stick is imprinted with the words "4 quarts" on it. The tube the stick goes in is flush with the block. What is my problem? The 2nd issue I have is with the cruise control. The unit has a placard that says "Cadillac Cruise Control"  "Part# 1490017" and is manufactured by Perfect Circle. The motor on the transducer unit is burned up on one coil side. Does anyone know who can repair the motor or where I might purchase a motor or working transducer unit. Also how does the Bowden cable coming from the inside speed control head attach inside the transducer? Thanks much for any information.

67_Eldo

I don't have either problem but I do have a 1967 Eldorado so I'll hazard some guesses.

1. The dipstick could be a non-Eldorado dipstick. The shape of the Eldo's oil pan differs from that of the RWD cars. Also the length of the dipstick tube could be off. Here's an old dipstick discussion:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=130396.0

2. There's a video of the Perfect Circle cruise unit in action. Prepare to suffer from motion sickness by virtue of the videography.
https://youtu.be/JfPqKeEQOkM

TJ Hopland

Grabbed this from that other thread:

1965, 1966, 1965 exc Eldo w 3/8" tube (part # 148 9443) --> 19" long measured from top of cap   
1967 Eldo (part # 148 8157) --------------> 22 13/16" long measured from top of cap
1968-1969 exc Eldo (part # 148 9465) ---> 20 1/2" long measured from top of cap
1968-1969 Eldo (part # 148 9466) -------> 22 3/4" long measured from top of cap

Looks like there isn't much difference in overall length for the Eldo sticks certainly not a quarts worth based on length.   No note if the markings are different.   At least you could tell if you have a earlier 429 or RWD 472/500 stick since those are inches different. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Has the engine been rebuilt?
I have the same issue. Mine was rebuilt and I guess the tube has a slight bend in it. When it was reinstalled the curve must point up or to the side. It doesn't read correctly and since it is a swedge I can't turn it. I just know where it is on the stick when full and go from there.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Flyer

Thanks to all for the help and ideas on the dipstick issue. Turns out my dipstick measures 19 inches from top cap to tip so most probably somewhere along the line it was replaced with the wrong one. Several options to correct but the best idea comes from my mechanic to cut off a portion of the tube so that the current dipstick reads as it should with a full 4 quarts of oil. Saves me somewhere around $100 plus on replacing it.

I haven't heard anything on the cruise control but I think I have found a company to rebuild the cruise control servo motor. The Eurton Electric Co. in Whittier, CA does that type of work. I sent the motor for evaluation so I'll find out soon.

Scot Minesinger

This is easy, and hence this forum.  Suffered the exact same problem on my 1970 Cadillac DVC, and had to figure it out.  First, change the oil and filter when engine is warm and let it drain for an hour.  After replacing the filter and adding five quarts of oil, check the dip stick.  With a file make a very small mark.  If the dip stick is too short (the full mark is higher than the true full mark indicated by file) you are in luck.

Measure from file mark, to edge of cap, which should be longer than the full mark.  Put the dip stick in a vice anchored to a secure work bench.  With a pair of good pliers yank on the dip stick until full mark on the dip stack corresponds with measurement.  Then use the dip stick to measure oil level from recent oil change and it should be right on.  That is how I fixed this problem on my Cadillac, hope it works for you.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty