News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 brake rebuild

Started by Hayden P, February 22, 2018, 01:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

Hi guys ... haven’t posted for ages ....

Anyway... rebuilding my 1960 Coupes front and rear drum brakes. Have kit to put in it and have restored all other parts. I took photos of brakes before I tore them down and for the life of me can’t find them.

Does anyone have any pics of front and rear drum brakes so I can figure out how it all goes back together. I have a fair idea - just wanna make sure I am on the right track and using the right springs etc.

Also cleaned up my hard brakes lines and going to re-use them. Any pics of those also would be amazing.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I would suggest you re-think using the old brake lines again. When working on the 55 over the last few months I ended up replacing them all. Even if they look good they may be compronised. Please at least look under all the clips for signs of pitting or discoloration. When I removed mine I tried to bend them just out of curiosity to see how strong they were (and to justify replacing them in my mind) and the weak points were under the clips.
Fuel lines were the same. I pressurized them and I had leaks under the clips there as well.
It was a real pain as I don't have a lift-however I am happy I did it.
Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Tim I

Here are some pics I took when I did the brakes on my '60 a few years ago.

Skwerly62

+2 on the hard lines and distribution blocks. Certainly worth the $155 from CPP to know they are solid! Do not compromise on brake parts, it’s a 60yo system that needs to be 100% before sending your two ton vehicle (and you) down the road at speed.
🚑
Also let me know if you need any other pics, nice clear ones Tim!
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I didn't do my distribution blocks but I did clean them. I soaked them in mineral spirits. They were full of crap...... another reason to do the lines-you will never get the old gunk out of them.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Lexi

Hayden here are some images from the 1961 Master Parts List of both front and rear brake assemblies. Not sure why 1960 was skipped for the front assembly, (1961-62 there instead). I assume/hope they are the same, as fine print says representative of 1960. Hope this helps. Clay/Lexi

Hayden P

Thanks for photos and tips. Brakes coming together nicely.

What’s best place to buy new brake line ?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I wrestled with that myself. I don't have a lift which made it more difficult. I also read that sometimes even the custom pre-cut to length ones that you buy and have shipped to you even had to be spliced to get them in. In the end I just went with the pre-cut ones at my local store. I only ended up with 1 union but it is the official one not a compression fitting, etc.
Take plenty of pictures of how yours is routed. Then see if you can easily get the long one off in 1 piece without bending it too much. If so then get the custom ones. If not then get the shorter pre-cut ones.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

76eldo

Inline Tube makes kits for pretty much any car and they are cheap.  Best way to go in my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

Brian,
Me 2 - not for today's slang for abuse - but they make great lines - have used them several times.
The box they come in is obviously not long enough, and one small bend has been required to straighten them out to full length.
Small inconvenience, but worth the over all fit.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Hayden P

Thanks   I will contact inline.

Anyone got pics of brakes lines on chassis.