News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Intermittent Stalling

Started by Dennis J. DiNorcia CLC 19071, February 14, 2005, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis J. DiNorcia CLC 19071

I have a 1989 Deville that occasionally stalls out and wont restart until I let it sit for about 30 seconds. When it stalls I have all lights and power but it cranks and will not immediately start unless I let it sit. I have recently had a full tune-up including fuel filter and wires. I notice when it  stalls, a clicking noise ffom under the dsah where the BCM and relays are. Any suggestions what to look for? I suspected a faulty computer but I do not want to go through the "lets try this" routine with my mechanic untill I get a few suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

Dennis J. DiNorcia CLC 19071

There must be someone out there who could give some suggestions about this problem. Please help. Thanks.

JIM CLC # 15000

02-19-05
Dennis, Once had an 86 SDV that quit after driving only 3 or 4 blocks.(At the time it had approxily 90K miles on it)
Went to SCHUCKS Auto Parts, asked counter man what he throught it might be. after some head scratchn, he said that there were two (2) electronic components in the Distribertor (sic) and it could be either one.
The store had a BIG sign posted, stateing "NO RETURNS ON ELECTRIC or ELECTRONIC PARTS".
I pruchased the two parts that he had recommended, BUT had him seal the boxes with tape and told him that I would be returning the unopened box and didnt want any problems with him.
One part only required the removal of the CAP and the "pick-up"
mounting plate.
After replacing the easy-to-get-to-part, it run like a champ.
Just may be your problem, but would try to decode the problem, if at all possible. I could pull the codes using the "Automatic- Heat A/C control panel".
Good Luck, and keep the oil changed, Jim

Brian Rachlin

Dennis,

Tye clicking noise can be a bad idle speed control motor.  The frequently go bad, and make this noise when the key is in the run position, but the car is not running.  This is NOT the cause of your stalling.

Do you feel any tapping on the gas pedal along with the clicking noise?

I think that the reason you have not gotten much of a response is that there are SO many possible causes for your problem.

1.  Fuel flow restriction
2.  ignition problem, module, coil, etc.
3.  bad relay for injectors, etc....very possible due to the reset after brief cooling off.
4.  Faulty computer

Did you try to pull any codes from the on-board diagnostics?

Does it do this ALL the time, or once in a while?

Hope you get some help.

Good Luck,
Brian

Mike #19861

You will need to approach the proble with logic. Start with the basics first. When it will not start, is there no spark, or no fuel. That will determine that angle of attack.

If you decide to diagnose and repair this problem yourself, I would highly recommend purchasing a GM shop manual, and following the diagnostic charts in section 6E. This is the only sure fire way to determine what your problem is without just replacing parts on speculation. That can get quite expensive and frustrating, and will eat up the cost of a shop manual in short order.

While it does sound possible that it is the ignition module in the distributor (classic symptoms of this) make sure it is before you spend the money. Perhaps you can find a known good module for trial before hand. Than you will know that you have licked the problem before laying down the cash for a non-returnable item. And, I would recommend buying only Delco components.

Mike

Kerry Lange

Dennis:
An excellent forum for current and late model Cadillacs is http://www.cadillacforums.com TARGET=_blank>www.cadillacforums.com
Click on forums at the top of their Website. You can spend hours on this site. Only one downside though. After reading the many problems with a newer Caddy, one is tempted to stay away from these cars in favor of something from the 70s.

Kerry

Bob Chesnutt 21760

As previously pointed out, the first step in the process is to determine if your problem is lack of fuel or lack of spark.

I have seen this type of problem be in the computer.  For the engine to start, the computer pulses in a few shots of gas to start the engine.  If you do not get this, the computer recognizes that it didnt start and shuts off the normal circuit for fuel to the engine - so it never starts.  If it is electrical you will need to follow the trouble shooting procedure as listed in another response. The cost of a service manual is cheaper than trying parts replacement unless you you have a good stock of parts.

Good Luck
Bob C

Dennis J. DiNorcia 19071

I already had the module changed since it was the original one. When this happens the starter motor turns and the car cranks but wont start. My suspicions were electrical or fuel also. I dont understand why if it stands for appx 15 seconds, it will start and run fine. Someone suggested a bad positive battery wire connection. I did notice that the cable needed a little tightening so I did that and it hasnt happened in about a week. I just dont feel if it was the cable why would the car have to sit before it will restart. If the cable is loose or badly connected wouldnt I just get a dead click and no power? Ill see how the positive wire theory works and I will post a follow-up again if it persists. Thanks for the help guys.

wm link

They have a high failure rate...ONLY buy a delco pump if you are going to buy one...donnt be fooled buy a low price after market like I was once.