News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 vacuum wiper switch/operation

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, November 14, 2017, 11:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok. I am going to admit stupid on this one. I have looked in the book, on-line, etc with no luck.
How do the vacuum wipers work?
Other than the plastic-ish one for the antenna, all vac lines going thru the firewall had been removed by the prior owner. I don't have a road map to follow.  I have inside lines that appear intact-or at least I have no reason to think they have been messed with. It is hard to get under there to see the wiper switch (not that my belly is too big but that I haven't removed the front seat). I only see 1 vac line going to the back of the switch. Some research says that is only for the washer timer on the motor. When I have looked on-line for pictures of the switch there appears to be a cable attached to it. The knob itself has a pushbutton in it which I assume is for the washer. The knob will come off in my hand. It will only rotate slightly and then return to its neutral position. The wiper motor has a vac port on the top which has nothing goin to it. What I stick my finger over it the wipers move albeit slowly.
Does the switch have a cable that runs behind the dash to remotly activate the wiper motor? Why won't it turn, is there something that needs to be lubricated?
Sorry to be so long winded over a stupid wiper switch but this has me stumped.
Also if anyone knows what firewall vac ports go to what I would appreciate it.
I have searched the forum but didnt find a good hit. If there is a thread that I missed please let me know.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lexi

Lou the Administrator for the Mid Century Cadillac Forum posted this on the 1956 Vacuum layout. He thought that it may also pertain to other years as well, (and may assist you). You may also want to search that Forum for other related topics. It is actually a good idea for all mid century Caddy owners to browse that site as there is a lot of good information there. Thought I saw additional relevant stuff there a while back and if I can find them, I will post for you. Clay/Lexi

http://midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?topic=675.0

Lexi

Jeff I found this pic which I think I got from the Mid Century group, probably originally posted by Lou or Jose. Many thanks to them (or whoever posted it initially). Would like to give credit to the original poster, but can't remember who it was. Anyhow, looks like a '54 set of Dagmars but the caption indicates it is for a '56 layout. This may help. Think I may also have a not so great shot of a Trico washer jar instruction sheet (with diagrams), which I will post if I can find it. BTW no one is 'stupid' for not knowing how to navigate these mid-century caddie vacuum lines. It is a little like 'relativity' I find. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Jeff, basically, the wipers are operated with the cable you saw. It's connected to a slider at the wiper motor, opening more or less the vacuum to increase (if no leak) the wiper action. Regarding the washer, I'm not su sure because the 1955 washer is hybrid: it's part electric and vacuum. I will have to look at the 1956 Continental Mark II system as it's the same as the '55 Cadillac.
1956 is different: pure vacuum for the washer system: by pushing the knob inside the car, the vacuum circuit is no more closed and this action allows the heavy spring to push the piston of the washer.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

As an option, here's the way I would go.  Safer and more reliable ---

https://newportwipers.com/product/1954-58-cadillac/#wiper-motor

Unless maybe you are vying for top honors at a CLC Grand National. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

By looking at the circuit diagram page 15-6 from the shop manual, you can see that the button in the car is triggering the washer function electrically. This open the vacuum circuit, allowing the heavy spring to push the water out.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

Hi Jeff,
           This is a picture of the top of the washer jar in my 55 Fleetwood. I'm not sure if this will help you. I looked at the wiring diagram for the 55 and it shows a button for the washers as Rodger pointed out. I then looked at my 55 wiper/washer and did not see any electric going to them completely vacuum operated and they do work properly. I operated them today when you turn the knob clockwise the wipers move in slow speed then farther clockwise to high speed push the button and the washers work. The knob should not pull out in your hand. The cable on the switch pulls on the actuator which looks like a black cylinder mounted on the wiper vacuum mechanism. Might be the cable is stuck. If your wiper blades are installed wet the windshield first it makes it hard on the wipers to move on a dry windshield. The vacuum diagram in the other post looks correct.If you need some other pictures let me know.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

Bob, the correct washer lid for 1954 & 1955 was like the picture below. However, after engine #97095 there is another part number for the pump with lid. Could be that it was changed to all vacuum. I could be right if the washer button is no more electric on your car, but opens the vacuum circuit.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Great, thanks guys. I will have to work to free the cable. Hopefully I can access everything from the engine side of the firewall. If not then I have to skip my Saturday morning donut so I can fit under the dash.
As far as the washer goes, I think it is all vacuum. I have the lid but the jar is long gone. I don't remember any electrical lines going to it so I will have to look. The washer button just pushes a plunger rod in the switch that I would assume just opens/closes a vacuum shutoff.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Roger Zimmermann

Jeff, the jar is easy to get, it's reproduced. McVey is selling them, other suppliers too.
The description from the button is indeed similar to 56; it must be all vacuum.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

The engine number is 128828 so Cadillac must have changed to all vacuum after 97095 interesting wonder why, they would have to change the switch also. If you find this interesting did you read my post on resonators or non resonators?

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, that was a good post. I find it interesting that they went to all vacuum AFTER that engine number
It just seems to me that vacuum would be more old school than electric. Seems like they went backwards. Wonder if they had problems with the electric causing a mid-year switch to a more reliable system.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Lexi

Jeff if you're interested I have an extra jar here, (no lid). Would be cheap, (shipping would cost more to send it probably). Just not sure what year. I think the '56s, (at least) had the "tall" jar. If the '55 was the shorter one, that would be the one extra I got here. Clay/Lexi