News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee 2018

Started by Dirty, January 05, 2018, 10:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty

I am not there today. I go Tuesday for the rest of the week. I got tickets, anybody wanna go. ...................Dirty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dirty

Yeah, I know. I live in the woods so I have limited data to stream. I can't leave it on all the time.  I plan on flipping back on for lot 139. I hope you guys like this. I can sit there all day long and watch cars go through. My wife says it's like sitting on a lawn chair on the side of the interstate. To each his own....................Dirty

Dirty

Hard to tell, not being there but it looked like a nice car. I am only there to steal one.............so I wouldn't have gotten that one anyway. My kid is stationed in Qatar. He is watching live too. First year in a while he can't go with me.  :'( :'(

'78 Eldorado Custom Biarritz w/350 miles sold $30K.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-311001/1978-cadillac-eldorado-custom-biarritz-classic/

Anyone see what the '63 Biarritz did? It was a no-sale.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: V63 on January 06, 2018, 01:26:59 PM
$13.750? Or  plus (10%? $1,375) fees &  taxes (10%? $1,375) documentation $350?
$16,850 as is / where is 
No wonder I don't buy at auctions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gkhashem

Quote from: Dirty on January 06, 2018, 03:05:08 PM
Hard to tell, not being there but it looked like a nice car. I am only there to steal one.............so I wouldn't have gotten that one anyway. My kid is stationed in Qatar. He is watching live too. First year in a while he can't go with me.  :'( :'(

Steal.... I honestly think you rarely steal one unless it is no reserve. Even then I think its not likely.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Dirty

If you mean the Red 63 Convertible, it got to 37,000 and the guy didn't sell it. ...................Dirty

Dirty

You are correct. The steals happen on the no reserve cars. I have witnessed a lot of theft at Mecum. Right place..........right time...................Dirty

pmhowe

Hold out for a 1934 or 1935. Better car, more fun. :)

I wouldn't be too sure about no reserve paving the way for a steal- or at least that has never been my experience in many years of auction dealing -especially not at a well-publicized, well-attended auction venue as the case is here.

On the contrary, "no reserve" tends to generate more spirited bidding than otherwise because it means the sale is absolute. This is all the more likely for the most desirable and best condition cars.

Bottom line, the odds of stealing a pristine 350 mile Cadillac at THIS sale are zero as can be inferred the sale results of the 2 other Eldorados above.

*Thanks for the the '63 info.

Dirty

Here's what went down with the FI car I was interested in. 3500 miles, looked new out of the box except for some discoloration on the rear bumper fillers. This car had a Michigan quick lube sticker on the windshield. Some where in its 3500 miles it got into snow and salt. Underneath, behind the rear wheels back to the bumper all rusted up. Bad enough that you would have to torch the bolts off the bumper shock absorbers. Oh, yeah............thanks to you guys, I was sniffing. You couldn't get within ten feet of this car without being over powered with the terrible smell of old gas. They tried and tried to get this car running. Nope. Pushed it all around and to the block. Somebody bid it on its looks. Hammered for 31K. I got a couple more tricks up my sleeve before I strike out. Stay tuned. ..........................Dirty

Can only imagine what it would have done if it was a real one.

For the same money I'd sooner have the Claret car 10x over, plus the fact that white '76 ELCs are extremely common as Barry points out. (No offense to white '76 ELC owners).

Dirty

Final results for me. I put in three bids on two different cars. Bailed out at the point when it would be cheaper to buy out side the auction. :( For me, no right place, right time, steals. ??? Had a lot of fun though. Mecum is an experience to its self. Thanks to all who helped me :)...................Dirty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on not getting caught in the hype that goes with these Auctions.

You WILL find your car, and when you do, with all the money saved from not buying at auction, you will have sufficient, and change to go and collect it, wherever it resides.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Kevin,

I have never owned an XLR but from what I hear parts are not very plentiful and are very expensive when you find them.

I have owned several 76 Eldorado convertibles and as you can see on my profile I own a variety of Cadillacs.

The 76 Eldorado convertible is a favorite of mine.  I love the ride, the look, the size and pretty much everything about it.  There are many of these available all the time on ebay including some very low mileage ones.  If you are willing to travel or willing to have someone that knows these cars check one out for you that may be a better way to go.

The problem with the fuel injected ones is that the seals on the fuel rail will leak unless they have been replaced.  Bruce Roe is a great resource for repairing the primitive ECU in that car but i'd suggest going with a carb car instead.  I had a fuel injected 76 Fleetwood and an injected 77 Eldo and did not have any problems with either one but if you are going to do some driving with it the carb would be a better choice.

A super low mileage one will probably need a radiator recore and a new heater core once you start driving and using the car.  Neither are a huge deal but it's common for them to corrode after sitting many years with the old original coolant in there.

Good luck with the hunt.  Buy the best one you can find in the color you want.  There are a lot of them out there for sale at any given moment.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dirty

I was able to get in an XLR at Mecum. I barely fit even with the seat all the way back and down. Then there was the climbing up to get out over the sill. Back when I owned a Sunbeam Tiger, these issues were NOT an issue, but at 64 I don't bend like I used to. XLR is not in consideration now. I THOUGHT I might like the Eldo, but with all of the help from you guys and looking them over close at the sale...........it is what I want for sure. Nice easy ride..........I don't need to go fast anymore. I also learned like you said, there are a lot of these cars out there. I am not in a hurry and I'm sure I will find the one I want at the price I want. I have plenty of money for it, but I've never been one to over pay for something just because I want it. Maybe that's why I have plenty of money now. I like this Forum and will keep you posted on my search.........................Dirty

35-709

Does anyone know what the '61 Cadillac convertible mounted on a stretched 2008 CTS chassis brought at the Mecum auction?  The builder called it the "61-08".  Believe it went through mid to late Saturday afternoon toward the end of the auction.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

67_Eldo

Quote from: 35-709 on January 15, 2018, 10:16:26 PM
Does anyone know what the '61 Cadillac convertible mounted on a stretched 2008 CTS chassis brought at the Mecum auction?  The builder called it the "61-08".  Believe it went through mid to late Saturday afternoon toward the end of the auction.

$60,500.