News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Series 50 Carb Info

Started by Bill D CLC#21057, February 04, 2008, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill D CLC#21057

I have a 1937 LaSalle 5027 with what looks like the original engine and Carter carb. The car was originally from Denver where I think it spent its whole life until coming to Houston in the 70s but it was never running here until now. I rebuilt the carb with a kit and did not touch the metering rods or jets. I have the car running and it idles great cold and hot. The problem is when cold and choke partially closed the acceleration is great. When hot and choke fully open, acceleration has a lot of hesitation and you have to pump the pedal to get her to move from dead stop. But if I put in some choke it seems to fix the problem.

Is this because this was a Denver car and the metering rods and jets are set up for Denver (5000ft)? If so what number jets or rods do I need for sea level? Can I adjust the existing rods/jets?
I am familiar with the metering rod system because I have several corvairs that use them and I have different sizes for them. I don't know if this applies to the LaSalle too.

Thanks for any help
1937 LaSalle 5027

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bill,

First the original carburetor for the 37 LaSalle was a Stromberg with an electric choke. No others for 37. So you have some other year. Look on the bottom of the carburetor where the manifold gaskets are installed. There should be a number on this base. If you find it we can look it up to tell you what the Carburetor is off of.

Now, if the LaSalle runs fine with the choke engaged but runs poorly when choke is off, one should look for a vacuum leak. This is a classic sign of a vacuum leak. The early Carter carburetors had some tricky little "o" rings that can cause one problems if they are not familar with the carburetor.

John Washburn
Elizabeth, Colorado
CLC #1067
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series