News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 CDV drum brake backing plates

Started by Porter 21919, August 20, 2005, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter 21919

Anyone know what the factory finish was ?

All the grease and dirt protected the steel, just very light rust underneath.

TIA,

Porter

Porter 21919

Just a joke here, under the 1/8 of grease and dirt it was surface rust, I cleaned off all the grime, sandblasted them and painted them chassis black, no sign of any cadmium plating, or black paint for that matter.

Porter

Lynn 10923

Chassis black is probably as good as anything.  Mine dont have any paint on them either and are caked with brake dust and road dirt.

Lynn

Mike #19861

Black. Every backing plate I have ever seen, new or old, was painted black. Now, some had more gloss than others.

I would say you caould paint it a semi-gloss black and be pretty dead on.

Mike

Porter 21919

I dont think they had any paint anyway, not a trace of any finish what so ever.

Im sandblasting them and painting them black inside and out, the car is getting modified anyway, I dont do any repair/resto work without cleaning the parts to bare steel and paint or clearcoat for a finish.

Most of these cars had dubious repair work performed to them by less than desirable mechanics.

Im blasting the drums and painting them black too.

My 90 Chevy Van came from the factory with a bare steel front end, pretty sad. Must have been coffee break time. Then again one of my old employees had a new 90 Ford van that left the factory with an ungreased front end, wore out pretty quick, they rebuilt in for him.

Porter