News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Freeze plug failure and overheating of my 346 engine!! Any thoughts??

Started by z3skybolt, November 11, 2017, 04:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

I hate cleaning it up as well.  ;D

I had a gallon of mixed (by me, not that store ripoff premixed stuff) coolant in the trunk of my Fleeetwood, braced upright by a toolbox, literature bin, etc.  I have a heater hose contraption that I should replace; it's in the trunk too but until I get "around toit", I put the coolant in the trunk. Well, I took some of those items out and the bottle must have tipped. When I went into the trunk last week I "discovered" an empty bottle of coolant on its side. I thought to myself, what the hell is an empty bottle of coolant doing in the Fleetwood's trunk?  >:D It didn't take me too long to deduce that it used to be full and my trunk now has a nice rust resistant coolant coated trunk floor. I took out the removable top mat and washed that, but the main mat, it's huge and had a couple dozen of those annoying plastic rivets holding it in place, so I tried the rainbow vac with the carper cleaner hookup and a half bottle of carpet cleaner. That thing sucked out Lots of orange, but there still some on it so I'll have to take that large mat out and hose it down better.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bobby B on November 12, 2017, 12:37:32 PM
.......Distilled water is less than a dollar per gallon here. Way cheaper than coolant on the ground. Plus I really hate cleaning that slippery slimy mess up.....;)     Bobby 
Boy, you must have a vast supply of Distilled Water to toss around.

When I add water to my batteries, when they need it, I just get water from the tap, and once the water in the container has stopped slopping around, I class it as "still", and then tell myself that "distill(ed) water is good to go".   We even drink water straight out of the tap, but let the tap run for a short time if it is outside first.   This flushes out any spiders that might have decided to call the tap a home.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

z3skybolt

Yes,

I am about to fill my radiator for the 4th time since overhaul. What does the 346 engine cooling system hold? Something like 6 gallons plus!

Hey...I am retired and don't have money to burn.  But have no problems with the cost of coolant. Just let this be the end of my problems. O.K.?

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bobby B

Quote from: z3skybolt on November 12, 2017, 05:30:32 PM
Just let this be the end of my problems. O.K.?

Bob,
  C'mon....You own an Antique Car! NO Problems = NO Fun!  I get more worried when everything seems like it's OK........ ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bobby B

Quote from: z3skybolt on November 12, 2017, 08:16:25 PM
Why did I do this??

You have been bitten by the car Bug, of course. Haven't we all?  ::).... Just think of the Siren's Song but in the auto sense. Instead of crashing your boat, you wantonly dump endless heaps of money aimlessly in a unrealistic, blinded, giggling fit until it turns to tears, and then there's no turning back. And no matter what that car needs, you do it. After you come to your senses, you might sell it, just because. I also own a few broken records. It takes a non-car person to remind me of that. ;D ;D ;D............
                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH