News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead V8 Engine Rebuilder Recommendation

Started by smith-39lasalle, June 26, 2010, 07:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith-39lasalle

I am looking for the best rebuilder of flathead V8's in eastern Canada or ne/midwest USA. Any recommendations?
D. Smith

Fred Zwicker #23106

I used Shepards in Akron, Ohio.  They do the whole job (including rebuilding of the carburetor, fuel pump, starter, generator, distributor, etc. and after rebuilding, the engine is painted the correct Cadillac color and they test run it on a stand hooked up to a radiator. They also retorque everything after a break-in period so that engine is ready to go after installation.  They are not cheap (around $10,000 or so), but they know what they are doing and are responsible.  They also have a clean, well-equipped shop with carpet on the floors!  (They use this so that if a part is dropped it will not get nicked - after carpet gets soiled, it is changed - I believe they use remnants).

Shepard's Automotive
Larry & Pappy Shepard
4131 S. Main St.
Akron, OH 44319
330-644-2000
www.shepards auto.com

Here are some pictures of my 1939 LaSalle engine after picking it up at Shepard's
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Fred Zwicker #23106

Here are two pictures of my 1939 LaSalle engine at Shepard's Automotive in Akron.  Engine is run on a portable stand with a radiator and a small exhaust system.  They want to be sure that everything runs well with no leaks and that all bolts are torqued to specs and retightened after a break-in.  When I stopped in to see the engine, they turned  on an ignition switch that was mounted on the stand, stared the engine and ran it for me.  What a presentation! The only change that I made after receiving the motor was to paint the head bolts to match the original Cadillac engine green,  and I let Shepard's know that this was the correct way to paint the engine.  There may have been several other minor engine detailing changes (pulley colors, etc.), which I cannot remember, but when finished, everything was done as when the engine came from the factory in 1939.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com