News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1980 Seville Diesel (Sleeper of the day.) $700

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, January 12, 2018, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1980-cadillac-seville/6456633478.html

Might be a nice car to investigate. Sounds like a car guy has it. Nice color combination. Good luck. No $$$ interest.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Yes if local, this would be fun.  The condition of the property though, ouch. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

For some reason I didn't look at the other pictures. Just the one of the interior. I agree. Well, he did say it'd been sitting a while. At least, the kids haven't been dropping ice cream on the seats lately.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

Barry--- you are a constant source of wonderfully engaging dreams.  Perhaps we can organize a series of seasonal  field trips to report on some of your fabulous finds.   These "expeditionary missions" would include detailed assessment of possible great deals,  and  we enthusiasts would enjoy one another's company. 

Bobby B

Quote from: BJM on January 12, 2018, 03:18:01 PM
Yes if local, this would be fun.  The condition of the property though, ouch.
If anyone's interested, it's a few blocks from my house  :o.........
                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

1980 is the magic year.

You could bolt a 472 or 500 in there and have a real screamer.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on January 12, 2018, 07:53:15 PM
That sounds like a car for TJ !!!

Bob, I can grab it for him. Waiting for the Green Light. Might need Barry to help load it up  >:D....
                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 76eldo on January 12, 2018, 09:14:05 PM
1980 is the magic year.

Brian...are you saying engine mounts are unique for the diesel in 1980? 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

I was never a fan of the rear end / trunk area.  Is there a story behind that design?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Supposedly, it was a take-off on the Daimler bustle backs. Since I have one, I will say that it certainly does attract (usually favorable) attention. You either like it or you don't. When they were two-toned, it makes the car stand out even more as the colors were brighter than cars nowadays.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Quote from: chrisntam on January 13, 2018, 09:11:58 AM
I was never a fan of the rear end / trunk area.  Is there a story behind that design?

"If you want to steal, you rob a bank, not a grocery store." - Bill Mitchell. 

This was the underlying thought behind Wayne Kady's design of the 1980 Seville which borrowed heavily from the Hooper-Daimler bodies used on Rolls Royce in the classic era. This, plus the tall "waterfall" grillework topped with the large chrome cap at unmistakably proclaimed high status and prestige.

If I were a betting man, I'd say there's a good possibility these cars have strong potential for taking off in value much like the 67-70 Eldorado whose value was at a standstill for decades until the last 10 years or so.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Eric, I sure hope so. I've sold at least three convertibles "just before peaks" and I'd love to see one of my picks soar a little in value.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Also - as I read in that Collectible Automobile article on the 79-85 Eldorados, if styling had gotten their way, this would have been the Eldorado rear end treatment.  The GM of Cadillac said no, too radical.  Cadillac Styling asked if they could do it with the Seville and it was green lighted. 

Being 54 in 2 weeks, I grew up in the era of 70's and 80's cars - I could not afford and admired or hated.  I will always respect a manufacturer for trying.   I think in this case, that styling worked.  I also am a fan of the 81-83 Imperials based on this rear end styling.  Not so much for the Lincolns.  It is a shame all 3 luxury makes came out with the design at essentially the same time.  The American public must have wondered what the heck is going on??

I have looked at them as a "possible" collector car going back to when they were coming out of owner-driver status in the late 80's through to about 2002, when the beaters with rust started to go to the U Pick It Yards. 

As for buying one as a collector I don't know why but I always worried what the "real" guys in the CLC would think when I pulled in with an 80-85 Seville and they had 30's to 50's cars. Also, my girlfriends and then wife always thought they were used cars, not to be collected. 

At the U Pick It Yards I was able to linger and check the interiors and styling out more than walking up to one at Walmart.  I would buy one today for collecting if it was a low mileage (less than 100,000) well maintained dark color car.  I am not sure I like this lighter color combination, whites, yellows - but give me a dark blue or metallic black one any day. 

If and when these cars begin to rise, the 1980 w/V8 gasoline will be the most desirable (thus valuable), followed by the 1981 (also gas V8); 1982-1985 significant less. Diesels are the wild card. I think diesel possibly more valuable than the HT4100 from 82-85. Hard to say since there are so few extant today. 

Only the most pristine unrestored, untouched originals with very low mileage will have serious collector appeal.

TJ Hopland

It does seem like someone tried to sort of 'preserve' that one.    Its really annoying about the headliners in this era.

I think that body style Seville will have a little more interest than the Eldo.   Think back to that era how many movies and TV shows was that the car shown as the ultimate status symbol,  both the good guys and bad guys drove em. 

Diesel would for sure be the wild card.  There seems to be a lot of interest in models or options that were reasonably popular in their day but then for one reason or another not many survived.   The 'alternative fuel' options seem to be of interest to many collectors these days.  I was reading about one collector that has 100's of LPG many of which were 'factory' conversions some going back to the 1950's.   

The diesel mount and external dimension wise was identical to the standard deck Olds motor so this is no help if you are thinking of a 472/500, a 368 car would get you a lot further.   Diesel helps in some slight aspects for swaps because it was a non computer engine so things like cruise module don't need a computer to talk to.   Diesels didn't get a computer till the final year and I'm not sure what it did that year, I think it may have only ran the EGR.

On the mount front 80 could be either the single or double front engine mount.  Just like the earlier body style they change from a single to dual front mount.   I had had 2 80's, both diesel, one had the dual mounts the other single.   Again same as the earlier style the single one seems darn near impossible to find today. 

On the diesel specific front 80 could have been a unique motor.  Earlier motors used what are often called 'pencil' injectors that were held into the heads by a clip.  80 was the year they went to a micro injector that threaded into the head.  It kinda looked like the casting was the same they just machined it differently to deal with the different injectors.   The injection pump was different to deal with the different injectors.  The pencil injectors were used on other diesel equipment but apparently not popular enough that they are available today.  Micro injectors were apparently unique to these cars so at one time there seemed to be a good supply of them but the enthusiasts seem to have finally gone through that supply so they too can be difficult to find.    The injection pumps were unique to these engines but the internals were pretty universal so keeping those running is no problem.  I was told that there are 2 rebuild kits that cover 100's of models from a 2 cylinder tractor to the 7.3 liter Ford in the early 90's.

Either style still had the external EGR which was literally a pipe that tapped into the exhaust manifold and went into the intake.  You usually only saw this with inline engines.   81 they went to the internal design like gas engines were there was a port in the heads that met with a port in the intake so new heads and intake to deal with this change.

There were also minor changes like to the glow plug system and the addition of a water in fuel light ans sensor.   The earlier glow plug system was slower and had 2 lights on the dash, a yellow light that meant the glow plugs were warming up, and a green light to indicate that you were supposed to start it.  The later glow system was faster and had just an amber light that said 'wait'.  The earlier ones were just lights.    Owners manuals covered both systems. 

Back in the days when dealers were doing the engine swaps you kept what ever style top end the car started out with.  I suppose they would just order the correct style to match your car.  This means you could have a 78 with the pencil injectors and 'slow' glow system but its all on top of the later DX block thats biggest advantage is the roller cam.   Once you got into the junkyard swap years it was likely what ever was available which could lead to lots of issues if you didn't understand what you were piecing together.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

smokuspollutus

Pfft. It's common knowledge that the only post-war American car that will ever be worth any money is a tri-5 Chevy.  ;D

We had an Eldo in the same color combination. Really sharp. Its too bad the way that it was "stored". In the picture prior to it being wrecked, it actually looks like someone took the diesel out-maybe just the way it was parked but the front end looks way high to me.

Well he claims the car was stored on stands which is the reason it's sitting so high. I'd be concerned enough about getting a gas engine running that had been lying dormant for 2 decades, let alone a diesel.   :o 

Other than a parts donor (especially for the engine- if good) this puppy is way is way beyond redemption for all practical purposes.

smokuspollutus

Eric, I was referring to the last pic in the ad-before it drove to its final resting place. Looks to me like its on the ground but high in the front.

Somebody'd better jump on this. You know, before he gets it running and the price goes up!