News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

type of wood used underneath 1938 body

Started by Matt, August 19, 2007, 04:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I need to replace some wood under the body on my 6519 sedan.  Does anyone know what type of wood that was used or a substitute?  Would just pine be ok?  I don't know a lot about woodworking.  I only need to replace a section about two inches by three feet long
thanks.

Doug Houston

It will pretty surely be ash. This is a good, hard wood, which is as strong as oak, but less expensive. I once had the Fisher drawing for the main sills on the 41-60S, and I vaguely recall that the callout was ash.

If you fabricate new structural pieces like that, try to use a wood preservative on them, as recommended by a good authority on wood protection. Don't use soft woods, like pine.

harvey b

hello there,another source for hardwood is in a shipping pallet,most of these are made from hardwood,they arent to hard to find either.dont know if it will help but is worth a try. thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

tozerco

???

Timber in a '38 body???? Tell me more please. I always believed composite (wood and steel) bodies were run out in the '37 Fleetwoods and in '36 in the smaller series cars ...... unless it is just for fixing trim or upholstery to.

I would love to know where the timber was located and, in any event, I agree with the posts about using Ash and soaking it in a preservative. I know if you are doing a 100% faithful restoration you should make sure that the timber and the body panels will rot out in time like all composite bodies did but otherwise I would recommend a product called "Everdure" which I believe is available in the States .....'fact I think it's made there.

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Virgil Perkins #19943

I had a sill made (from factory specs) in 2003, out of either white or yellow (I don't recall for certain which) OAK, and the cost wood alone was around $65.00, which was a good price for that piece of oak, so I was told.

baxterculver

Quote from: tozerco on August 19, 2007, 10:35:54 PM
???

Timber in a '38 body???? Tell me more please. I always believed composite (wood and steel) bodies were run out in the '37 Fleetwoods and in '36 in the smaller series cars ...... unless it is just for fixing trim or upholstery to.

I would love to know where the timber was located and, in any event, I agree with the posts about using Ash and soaking it in a preservative. I know if you are doing a 100% faithful restoration you should make sure that the timber and the body panels will rot out in time like all composite bodies did but otherwise I would recommend a product called "Everdure" which I believe is available in the States .....'fact I think it's made there.

Regards,

John Tozer

There is a wood piece under the door sills (adjacent to the frame) in my '39 6019.  Thankfully, they are in good condition.  I wouldn't want to try to replace--looks like the body might have to come off (or up) to get a new piece into place.
baxter culver clc#17184