News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do I fix sunvisor that keeping falling down?

Started by d307p, July 22, 2012, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d307p

Passenger sunvisor on 76 Eldorado Convertible falls completely down, and driver's visor on 77 Coupe Deville falls a couple inches.  Tried the screw on the visor but didn't work on either.  Any suggestions?
Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
1989 Brougham Monarch Firemist
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada
2012 Durango Citadel (Wife's)

Cadillac Nut

Hi,
Mine do that too.  If I tighten the screw hard they work fine for several months.  Try replacing the screw.  If that doesn't work, replace the sun visor mount.  My passenger side sunvisor was as bad as yours, after I replaced the mount it worked much better.  Hope this helps.  :)

Regards,
Garrett Baker

waterzap

Inside the visor there are some bushings. The visor from the Seville kept flopping down too. Replaced the bushings, and much better now. Saw the other day that USA Parts supply sells a Visor Repair kit for $4.99.
I took my bushings from a car in the junk yard, but maybe the ones they sell might work better.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

What i did years ago on another brand of vehicle was increase the diameter of the shaft slightly with the application of Bronze, and then machined it down to slightly thicker than it was.

Putting the visor back on to this "new" shaft solved the problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

waterzap

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 23, 2012, 11:26:03 PM
How hard is it to replace those bushings?

Unscrew the visor from the roof (3 screws)
Unscrew the one one screw that holds the metal shaft in, pull that out, and the bushing is there.
More difficult getting the whole thing in with the new bushing without breaking the bushing. Might also be an electrical connection that goes into the visor, so dont pull too hard on the shaft.
If you do pull too hard, will have to take the mirror off to put the connector back on.
I took one visor apart and made the mistake of spraying on some electrical cleaner. The stuff you use to clean starters. I usually use electronic cleaner, but was out of it. Within a minute, all the springs jumped out and the interior of the visor was cracked. Reading the label on the back, that stuff eats plastic. Nice.....
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

How about the visors that dont appear to have a screw on them?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

waterzap

Which cars dont have the screw?
Might go to junkyard this weekend then. Rip apart one and take pics.
Leesburg, AL

d307p

I'd be interested to know what the bushing looks like before I take the visor apart. 
Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
1989 Brougham Monarch Firemist
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada
2012 Durango Citadel (Wife's)

waterzap

Download the USA Parts catalog for 71 - 85 cars. Page 4 had a pic of the bushings.
http://www.usapartssupply.com/

Says Sunvisor Repair Kit. I remember the bushings having a longer piece of plastic at the bottom than what they have in the pic, but might work.
Leesburg, AL

76eldo

The 80's Seville's and Eldo's do not have any type of adjustment screw, and always sag.

I have never found a satisfactory repair method either.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I was thinking of the 80's cars too that don't have a visible screw like the older stuff did. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is what I did to the "non" Cadillac shaft that didn't have an adjusting screw.

Yes, the initial Bronzing was a bit messy, but cleaning it up in the lathe worked wonders.

I wouldn't recommend doing this to the faint-hearted as turning the piece in the lathe with the mounting bracket attached was a precarious undertaking, but it had to be done.

The trouble was that the re-chromed part was that smooth and slippery that the friction between the spring in the visor and the shaft just simply wasn't enough to hold it up.

The completed job worked out beautifully.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

waterzap

Very nice Bruce.
Anything that can make the shaft a bit bigger should work. I once tried putting some gasket material around the shaft to tighten it, but that did not work. The bronze is very nice, but for me, I dont have access to those tools. Not sure what else you could do to make the shaft slightly thicker.
Leesburg, AL

Jeff Wilk

Go to an orthodontist and get a bag of rubber bands for braces (or borrow some from a teen). Wrap two or three on each visor shaft and reassemble.  Should work great!!! ;D;D
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

waterzap

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on July 25, 2012, 06:20:28 PM
Go to an orthodontist and get a bag of rubber bands for braces (or borrow some from a teen). Wrap two or three on each visor shaft and reassemble.  Should work great!!! ;D;D

Wish would work. The shaft is pretty tight in there. When you try to put it back in, the bands will slip off. If you can make the shaft wider by 0.2 mm, that would probably be enough.
Leesburg, AL

Jeff Wilk

OK...did not know it was that close of a tolerance.  That being the case, what about a simple wrap or two/three of plumbers pipe thread, or even saran wrap?  These are very very thin and do have a degree of "Cling" to them.  I've used this before on other situations needing some tightening......and if they don't work, total cost less than $5 and no harm done......
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Hankk17

Bruce - you crazy.

but in a good way, lol

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on July 25, 2012, 06:20:28 PM

You can also get those by the bag at Sally Beauty Supply.  Heck, you may even be able to get them at a drug store, not sure.  We get ours from Sally. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

waterzap

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on July 25, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
OK...did not know it was that close of a tolerance.  That being the case, what about a simple wrap or two/three of plumbers pipe thread, or even saran wrap?  These are very very thin and do have a degree of "Cling" to them.  I've used this before on other situations needing some tightening......and if they don't work, total cost less than $5 and no harm done......

That might work. Just once again, when you try to push the shaft into the bushing in the visor, it will probably push the wrap back and bundle it up. . Bruce's idea is nice because it really creates a thicker shaft. Bruce, you might have a business opportunity here.
Leesburg, AL