News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB 1939-1941 60 Special Rear Vent Slide Latch "Scoop"

Started by Whit Otis, 1188, November 24, 2015, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit Otis, 1188

On the above 60 Specials the rear vent window had a locking slide latch that was screwed to the window frame.  When you wanted to lock the vent, you would slide the latch and the point of it would to into this cup or scoop shaped fitment that was riveted to the vent glass frame.  I need the cup or scoop shaped piece.  I could also use some advice on the slide latch itself.  The edge of the stainless steel slide latch "body" (the piece with 4 holes in it) has a curl to it.  It would seem that if there wasn't some supporting material underneath it, you could easily over tighten the screws and bend or dent the stainless piece.  Is there a piece that goes under this?

Attaching pictures of what I'm speaking of so you can see the latch and the "scoop."

Thanks
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Jeff Hansen

Whit,

Yes, there is a an inner piece that goes under the latch "body".  I am away from home this week but will photograph the piece upon my return home later in the weekend.

Sorry, I don't believe I have any extra parts (will check nonetheless).

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Paul Phillips

Whit
I think I have a spare of this complete latch including the catch or scoop, but won't be able to check until next Monday. I am thinking the catch is a plated pot metal part, and it may require replating. FYI you can get a rebuild kit for the slide, knob and spring from Chevs of the 40's.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Whit Otis, 1188

Hey Guys, Thanks for the responses and also appreciate the lead to Chev's of the '40's.

If you get a chance to check stuff out when you are back in town, I'd appreciate it.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5

Jeff Hansen

Whit,

Below are three photos of the inner piece that goes beneath the slide latch "cover".  It is a small stamped piece about .04" thick (assuming I can read a micrometer correctly).  1 1/8" long, 7/8" wide.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Paul Phillips

Whit
The scoop shaped piece does appear to be pot metal and is riveted to the vent frame by the factory. The rivets are very short, to not extend in the vent frame and interfere with setting the vent glass. Not sure how successful you would be in trying to tap the hole and screw the part in place, as there would only be room for a couple threads in the frame. I should have a right rear vent frame assembly, it will require plating to look good. Let me know if interested and I can pull from a spare door I have in storage.

I will attach a couple reference photos of the rear vent area on my car when I get back to the computer. The iPhone is not playing nice with the forum posting script.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Whit Otis, 1188

Hey Guys
Thanks for the help and the pictures.  As you may or may not know, I bought a GM Exec custom '41 6219D sedan as a basket case.  Now that I know what I'm looking for on the slide latch situation, maybe these pieces will turn up in all the cans of bolts and crap that came with the car.
Thanks again,
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5

Jeff Hansen

Hi Whit,

I wondered if these parts were for Mr. Sloan's car.  Please let us know how you are progressing.  You have a real piece of history!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Whit Otis, 1188

Hey Jeff,  Thanks for the interest.  Progress on Mr. Sloan's car has been slow.  I am almost ashamed to admit how long I have owned the car....almost 8 years.  Lots of things got in the way..... about 10 years ago, we had planned to retire and build a home and large garage/shop in a small ranching town where we have some property, but decided it might be a bit too rural for our retirement years.  So, told my wife if we weren't doing that, we had to move anyway because I needed a piece of property large enough for a garage and workshop... next thing you know, another year or so goes by..... bought another house on 5 acres (took me over a year to sell our original home, so two mortgages for a year, Yay!).  Then spent time planning and building a home for the car(s).... and on and on.  What we don't do for our hobby, eh?  Anyway, always have plenty of things I could be doing on the other Cads, but this summer, I finally said this is it, got to move on.  So am now working on all sorts of Sloan Cad projects (headlights, parking lights, fog lights, taillights, vent windows) etc.  Unfortunately when you buy a basket case car that was not dismantled in a thoughtful way, it adds a tremendous amount of research time to the project.  For example, I have been buying fog light parts over the past few years just to come up with as perfect a set as possible.... same with other components.....  Also, I bought a parts car 6 or 7 years ago and am eternally thankful I did so as this helps in identifying where certain fasteners go, coming up with that missing small part,  etc.  Even so, there is so much custom work, there will still be many mysteries.  Therefore, I really must express my appreciation for the help I receive as needed from other members, such as on the slide latch / vent window issue.  The cast of helpful characters in this project is large, believe me.  Attaching a picture of the garage that is now home to Mr. Sloan's car.
Thanks you guys,

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5

Whit Otis, 1188

Guys
I was sorting thru several cans of bolts and lo and behold out jumped the slide latch "scoop" I was missing!  Gads, what us car guys get excited about, eh????
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5

Jeff Hansen

Glad you were able to find that scoop, Whit!  Now if you can just locate the small plates that go beneath the slide bar.  :)

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan