News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Be Careful of Responses to Want Ads

Started by Brad Ipsen CLC #737, September 06, 2014, 11:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I posted a want ad for 1940 LaSalle headlight door and bumper guards.  I got one suspicious response.  Wanted money sent by MoneyGram, technical difficulties prevented sending pictures of the parts and did not answer when asked about some easy to answer questions if you had the part in front of you.  Just be careful.  I have never seen a problem if a fellow club member which is easy to verify in the directory.   
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

jmurrayent

I posted a wanted ad many months ago and got the same scam.  Said his camera was broken and couldn't take Paypal for some reason.  When I told him I was worried about getting scammed, all communication ceased. Buyer beware
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

Ken Perry

The Bible says (there is nothing new under the sun) there has always been scammers and thieves and there always will be! I sell quite a few parts and I DO Not have Pay Pal ! The world did business before pay pal. Checks money orders and cash work fine. Sometimes Western Union or Money Gram works for both people. Don't expect a guy to get Pay Pal becouse it's easy for you!  A few years ago I did not have a digital camera and a few deals were lost becouse I could'nt send pics. I have a LOT of Cadillac parts and if someone wants one they have to pay for it. They can always come over to my house and pay CASH and pick it up. I try to look at the wanted  section here every day,sometimes I have the part that helps the person in need and helps me sell some of my extra parts. I would have to say if it does'nt feel rite don't do it!     Ken Perry 
Cadillac Ken

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I don't necessarily disagree Ken but he could not answer simple questions such as the OD of the head light rim and the size and thread type of the bolt on the bumper guard.  If you have the parts this would be easy.  I would think there is some question on most parts we can ask about a part that will trip a scammer up.     
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Ken Perry

Yes,if a guy can't explain a part,that he says he has,something is up! Ken Perry   
Cadillac Ken

C.R. Patton II

Hello

I concur with Brad I enjoy the CLC International  Membership Directory.  It eliminates the imposters from good guys like Ken Perry.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Ken Perry

Thank you for the good guy compliment !  :) Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

jmurrayent

Point taken Ken, but paypal is not for my convenience only.  Paypal offers refunds if you get ripped off.  I recently purchased something off this board that wasn't as described (won't mention any names).  After talking to the guy on the phone, it became apparent that he wasn't going to give me my money back, I filed a claim with paypal, and after going through the process, got a full refund. 
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars