News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'49 radiator recoring

Started by Leo Fabian, August 15, 2012, 12:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Fabian

I'd like to have my '49's harrison radiator recored. Has anyone done this recently? Any recommendations in the northeast US.

I have a quote of $600.00, is that reasonable? Thanks to all that answer.  Leo Fabian CLC #5365

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a near perfect 49 radiator, showing no signs of green corrosion/leaks-top tank is dented.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Cooke

I had my '30 done last year for $900, it was worth every penny, its impossible for this car to overheat now. I have had out on 100 degree days in traffic and it just barley gets to normal on the temp gauge. Before I had it done I tried flushing several times and it seemed OK but the car would always overheat after reinstallation (not a small job on this car). I would say go for it you won't be sorry. I used, and have always used Perreaults radiator service in Meriden CT 203 235 9065. They have been there forever and do great work. I think $600 sounds about right for the size of your radiator, the 1930 radiator is HUGE.

R Sotardi #11719

This seems like a lot of money, but I can understand the 30s cost. I had Model A done a couple of years ago for @$150. For prices like $600 I could get a new Brassworks radiator. I know it's a Ford, but still... The 49 radiator is buried behind the grille and new core can be just a bit off size, unlike the cars before radiator grilles as the 1930. For $600+, I think I would consider a nice aluminum custom and metal dye  or paint it, unless you plan to point show the car. Ron

dadscad

http://www.usradiator.com/radiators/cadillac.html

You might try talking to these folks to see if they could build one or re-core yours. I bought a new radiator from them for my 63. U.S. Radiator, 323-826-0965.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Gene Beaird

Leo,

Yes, $600 is about right.  I recently talked with a company here in Houston when the radiator in our 79 Seville started leaking.  He said they started at around $500 and went from there.  Since ours will probably never be a 100-pointer, I went with an all-aluminum drip in replacement.  I kept our old one, just in case. 

Companies that actually will re-core radiators are getting harder to find.  Most with a 'We Repair Radiators' sign out front now usually just replace them with plastic/aluminum replacements.  If you working on a driver, maybe look at a replacement.  If you have a show car, then I'd have that one re-done. 

You may want to have it redone anyway, I can see the day, probably not long in the future, when these things are no longer repaired, but just replaced with 'whatever will fit'.  I know the shop I talked to in Houston is probably the only one in town that does that now (and the Houston Metropolitan area is pretty dang big), and the area they're in is undergoing some 'gentrification', so the property is now worth more than the business that's located on it. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

R Sotardi #11719

Has anyone priced a 49-53 radiator at Brassworks in San Luis Obispo. I know he does Fords and Hudsons. Lee has patterns for a lot of cars.

52Cadillac

Gene what did the drop in cost ya?

So will any 49-53 radiator work in a 52? Mines also getting too hot in traffic for my liking.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jay Friedman

I think 49-56 radiators are the same for cars without air conditioning.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Gene Beaird

@52Cadillac,  IIRC, the drop in was about $300 by the time I walked out the door.  It did bolt right in, although the shop owner recommended I connect a ground wire to it and ground to the frame, just in case.  The radiator cap opening was bent a bit, keeping the radiator cap from clipping on properly.  A little time massaging it with some plastic pry bars fixed all that.  Since it was pretty, fresh aluminum, I polished the end tanks with a bit of Mother's polish, then waxed them.  They look very nice, even though they're not original. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873