News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do I fix sunvisor that keeping falling down?

Started by d307p, July 22, 2012, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I'm going to try wrapping something the nub that clips into the retainer in the center of the header to see if that provides enough resistance to keep the visors up.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

d307p

Brian, I tried that on my 77 Deville driver visor.  Used black electrical tape.  Didn't work for me....
Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
1989 Brougham Monarch Firemist
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada
2012 Durango Citadel (Wife's)

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

Leesburg, AL

Dan Koser

Now I have NOT tried this as a solution here, but I've read about attempts to make the sunvisor rod larger.....what about trying to make the sleeve smaller? Perhaps the kit mentioned in the thread is the right way to go, but I recall....back in the day....that valve guides were sometimes not replaced, but were "knuralized" (not the Men in Black type), but with a tap like you'd use to chase threads. In this case, you'd thread the sleeve, which has the effect of pushing material from the sleeve into the area occupied by the rod, thus decreasing the i.d. of the sleeve. Just a thought.   Options are good...right? Regards,   Dan

dirtycustom40

Mine were  fine till i saw your thread.Thats typical.I went to true value and looked their massive hardware assortment.A good ace hardware should have one too.I found 5/16 thin walled plastic bushings.I bought 2 trimmed length on one and and slit both from top to bottom as visor rod is an odd size.Reinstalled and snugged up screw real good.Dont over tighten it though or you might break clamp.So far so good at holding visor up.5 minutes work and 30 cents plus tax to fix.You could also try a good sharp tooth pair of vice grips to roughen up the rod to get it to hold better.Not smashing it just chewing up the end a bit for resistance.That has worked for me on other vehicles in the past.I have also used allen set screws after drilling a small hole on other stuff to get resistance.
1969 eldorado 1970 flh

TJ Hopland

So how do the later ones that don't have a visible screw come apart?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

waterzap

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 07, 2012, 09:52:09 PM
So how do the later ones that don't have a visible screw come apart?

Went to junkyard yesterday. Pulled apart one of the visors without the visible screw. there is a screw, but its on the back, under the fabric. I could see it when I ripped the thing apart, but you might feel it.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

I was wondering about that.   Did they hide the screw when they went to the cloth covering perhaps?  My vinyl ones have screws and the cloth ones dont.  That also could just be age....
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

waterzap

The one I tore apart was cloth. Should have taken photos. See if you can feel a screw head. The screw is in about the same place as the older ones, just on the other side. By the way, I was able to pull the metal bracket out without even touching the screw. The bushing looked fine afterward. Probably not very tight to begin with.
Leesburg, AL

eldofixer

I know this is an old subject....but there haven't been too many simple solutions put forward that really work. This is my 2nd '85 Eldorado, just got it and guess what, the sun visors won't stay up. So I ripped one out of my old car, took it apart once again. It's the one with the two black plastic flanged pieces an no tension screw. I tried a number of things to get the black plastic pieces to grip the rod better but to no avail. Just about to give up when I spotted my tube of blue threadlocker. Slid the plastic pieces as far as I could on the rod, smeared on some threadlocker, pushed the plastic pieces back over it. Couple of hours later they were really tight, but could be moved......wonder how long this will last, and has anybody done this before?
Thanks
Mac