News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carb pipes on a 57 cdv

Started by Coupedeville, August 09, 2009, 06:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupedeville

Hello Everyone,

Another question regarding my 57 cdv.
I was working on my car today and noticed that one of the pipes from/to the carb dosen't connect to any thing, it just stops at the bottom of the engine. The pipe in question is the one to the left of the fuel filter. Does anyone know what this pipe is for?
The carb is a carter AFB, Is there a good manual available that explains all the ports and functions as well as repair & maintenance instructions.

Many thanks
Joe
Joe Hunt

35-709

The '57 Cadillac Shop Manual is what you are looking for. They come up on eBay or eBay Motors every so often, they are also reproduced by several printing companies, check Hemmings Motor News.  If you are going to keep and maintain this car the shop manual is a MUST HAVE.

The pipe you are asking about is for the automatic choke, it brings heat to the choke as the engine warms and causes the spring inside the choke housing to open the choke.  Your shop manual will show just how it is hooked up but I believe it goes into a port in the exhaust manifold --- not real familiar with '57's but there are those here who are.
Geoff N. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Walter Youshock

The 1958 Shop Manual Supplement covers the Carter carb.

It would help to see a photo of the carb without the air cleaner on it.  It's hard to tell from that photo.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dave Shepherd

Correct on the the choke stove pipe, they routinely rotted off at the port in manifold.

kelly

I have a 57' Fleetwood, and that pipe does go to the Starboard side exhaust manifold. It pipes heat to the choke, as mentioned earlier in the string. I will look at some of my photos, and if one shows the connection, I will attach it.  If not, please reply again and I will take a fresh shot for you.
Kelly Martin
P.S. Sorry, nothing that shows the RH exh. manifold attachment point. Don't despair, if you need it I will get the shot and page of the manual that speaks of it.
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Coupedeville

Thanks Guys,

I definately plan to keep the car and the first thing i did when i bought her last year was to purchase the 57 shop manual.
The manual covers the rochester and dual carter but not the single carter. Would i be right in assuming that the dual carter would just be two singles mounted on the block? It appears to show it as that in the manual. Having looked again at the carb section it doesn't show a plan of any of
the lines that are in/out of the carb and there are a few of them!!

I will take a photo tonight with the air filter removed.

Thanks again
Joe
Joe Hunt

Coupedeville

Pics minus the air filter

Joe
Joe Hunt

Dan LeBlanc

I'm not trying to be dumb here, but is copper ok for fuel lines like the one on this fuel filter to the carburetor?  I was always told now and shook my head after I bought my 61 Fleetwood and someone replaced the fuel lines with copper.  My understanding was that they are prone to cracks and leaking and needed to be steel tubing.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

All your lines look like they are going to the right places:  the one off the front of the intake manifold goes to the wiper motor and dashpot distributor (connected by a piece of rubber hose); the choke stove is coming off the exhaust manifold and should be covered with a white woven asbestos covering; the one coming off the front of the carb should be routed under the intake manifold and connect to the vacuum advance.  This was a solid steel line with some additional slack in it so you could adjust the distributor timing.  It was solid because the engine heat would melt a rubber hose.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

kelly

There should be a hole where the exhaust runners come together for the pipe that comes off the choke to be inserted into. None of your pictures show that area, so I can't tell what is missing or done improperly.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Coupe

On my '57 the pipe to the choke stove comes off a metal plate on the right side exhaust manifold. It's hard to see the plate when the manifold is on the engine. It faces the frame. Here's a pic from when I pulled the engine for rebuild.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Coupedeville

Thanks coupe your pic shows me where i need to look for the connection.
My pipe continues past the manifold and terminates at around the same height as the breather pipe, not connected to anything!!
Thanks to all for your input it all helps.

Regards
Joe
Joe Hunt

Coupedeville

The reason my choke pipe is just hanging is because the plate on the exhaust manifold is missing!
I'll assume these plates aren't readily available so looks like i'll have to get one made. Anyone got a drawing?!!!!

Joe
Joe Hunt

Otto Skorzeny

I'll trace one and include measurements. Or maybe I'll mail it to you. That's on the passenger side exhaust, right?

If your manifold is off the car, It would be easy to coat the area with ink or chalk and press a piece of stiff paper against it for a template.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Joe,

I just emailed you a tracing on graph paper. I hoe it helps.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE