News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Brougham - Chrome plating Aluminium bumpers?

Started by Ross Morgan #22943, May 07, 2009, 05:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Morgan #22943

I'm looking at casting the rear bumpers on a '57 Brougham (mine are very pitted) and one of the materials the foundry can use is aluminium. Does anyone know if there are difficulties in choming this metal and it lasting?  I will ask the local plating shop but I wanted to get some feedback from the forum.  Thanks!  Ross.

Otto Skorzeny

Use the search function above on this forum to find a recent lengthy discussion on the subject. A couple vendors were listed. It's a complex and expensive process.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ross Morgan #22943

For some reason, I was thinking the bumpers were an aluminium alloy but reading the thread http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,104460.0.html   , it appears that they are aluminium.  Good news though that with careful selection of a plater, chrome plating aluminium can be done with long term success.  Regards, Ross.

Walter Youshock

They were sand-cast aluminum, as were the wheels.  Saber wheels and the bumper ends on '55-'58 Eldorados were also like that.

The plating process is very different.  Decent originals in the hands of an inexperienced platers will melt in the wrong solutions.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Whit Otis, 1188

I believe the wheels were forged light alloy, not a casting, in order to have the strength to endure the lateral stress that wheels experience on turns.  Also, I forget for sure, but the center hub was not a light alloy forging.... anyone know for sure?
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

These were hybrid units.

The outer part of the wheel was an aluminum alloy (once piece including the center hub)
that was riveted to a steel inner wheel.  That's how all of the sabres were made starting in
1955 until the end of production.  The riveting process changed, the dimensions of the inner
steel wheel also changed (starting in 1957) to accomodate larger brakes. Kelsey
Hayes made them for Cadillac with technology from Alcoa for the aluminum issues.

I have a few spares in my basement and 5 restored ones in my 1955 Eldorado. 
BTW, they can be replated nicely by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Recommendation:  Valley Wire Wheel in California.  They are expensive ($1,000 per
wheel) but you will not regret it.  I had mine done 3 years ago and not a sign of a
pit, flaking chrome or any other problem.  Yes, they hold air well even with tubeless
tires as they should (they were designed for that).

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Peter Nieuwlandt

Of course Mike is rigth on the Sabres .These wheels consist of 2 parts and are rivited together.
I've found that not many people know how to disassemble and reassemble the Sabres,but the Porsche guys can help You out because the 911 model uses exactly the same type wheels .

Peter
Peter Nieuwlandt
CLC 17863