News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The difference between eldorado Biarritz and eldorado Seville?

Started by Continental, November 18, 2008, 03:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Continental

59 is the year I would really like to learn about but if it makes a difference in other years I would like to learn about that two. which one is more sought after?

Thanks for all the help...trying to learn about all the caddys...

My dad was a huge Caddy guy.

Thanks again Guys!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Alex,

The Biarritz is the top-of-the-range Convertible, and the Seville is the top-of-the-range Coupe.

That is it, and the Convertible has to be the most sought-after.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrefakis

a good original seville is a very rare car,many have been used to restore converts

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

A little bit of history on how there names evolved.

The terms "Biarritz" and "Seville" were first applied to production
cars, the Eldorados, starting in 1956.  Prior to that, in '53 - '55, there were
no such names used.  The Eldorado was only offered as a convertible.

However, in 1956, Cadillac decided to extend the Eldorado product line to
include a coupe -- for which they chose the name "Seville" to distinguish
it from the convertible, which became the "Biarritz".  Prior to that time these
names were used only for a few Motorama (and show cars) as has been discussed
here many times.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Lou,

In '57 it is on the upper front fender near the headlamp.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Walter Youshock

The 1956 Seville came out as a response to the Continental Mark II so Cadillac had a super-luxury coupe in the lineup.  With the exclusive Eldorado body and interiors in full leather or special cloth/leather combos, the "Q" engine, and a Vicodec cloth-covered top, plus a $3,000 lower price than the Continental, AND the Cadillac name, it was quick and cost-effective move on Cadillac's part.

The Eldorado Brougham was supposed to debut as a '56 model, but it was delayed.  The Mark II kind of stole some thunder from Cadillac that year, but, with the Eldorado coupe and the first Sedan deVille, it was a taste of things to come.  What's more, the Seville outsold the Biarritz every year it was made.  1960 was the last Eldorado Seville and 1958 was the last year until 1967 that the Eldorado had a completely distinctive body style.  The '59 and '60 came with standard air suspension.  Eldorados also sported their own colors that were offered on the rest of the Cadillac models at extra cost.  1959 Persian Sand was one Eldorado color that became available on the 1960 cars, but it was replaced with Heather on the Eldorados for 1960.

1957 was the first year the "Seville", "Biarritz" and "Brougham" names appeared on the cars.  The coupe and convertible sported their respective designations on the front fenders while "Eldorado Brougham" was only on the instrument panel.  There were also four sedan Sevilles made in 1957 with Sedan deVille pattern interiors done in the Eldorado materials.  There was a Bahama blue, Starlight silver copper and I think a black one.  At least 2 or 3 of them have survived.  The Eldorado Brougham sedan is a story of its own, but the "Brougham" name reappeared on the top-of-the-line sedans. "Seville" returned in mid-1975 as a new sedan.  "Seville" also was used on a new DeSoto model in 1956.

Personally, I'd take one of each, or at least a time machine to take me back to those days...

Surely, Ford and GM would, too.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Walter Youshock on November 20, 2008, 09:44:10 PM
1957 was the first year the "Seville", "Biarritz" and "Brougham" names appeared on the cars.  The coupe and convertible sported their respective designations on the front fenders while "Eldorado Brougham" was only on the instrument panel. 

Great information, but one little correction.  The Eldorado Brougham's had a fender badge as well.  In fact, the script in that fender badge is the only place on the exterior or interior of the car that has "Cadillac" written.  "Eldorado Brougham by Cadillac"

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

Right you are!  I forgot about that one.

Strange that the Ultimate Eldorado was the first one to not sport gold trim.  From a design standpoint, it was a smart move.

The "Biarritz" nameplate was retired after '61 and returned again in the early '70's--not exactly sure what year.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham