News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle coupe trunk...

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, September 18, 2012, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. What is the thickness of the plywood in a 1937 LaSalle coupe trunk "shelf"? Mine was missing and I'm thinking about 3/8" thick.  Anybody know of a source for the special flat-panhead screws that hold down the plywood? They are 1/4" by 1 " long. Thanks for any replies. John Lehman... CLC# 26365...

Doug Houston

Any of the tire cover shelves that I have ever seen on any car were 3/4 inch thickness.

The hardware is something that I'll throw out a guess on. There are two routes to try. First, use conventional carriage bolts, with the heads recessed in a counterbore in the top surface of the wood shelf. That will give you a flush fitting of the head in the wood.

The other trick would be to get some elevator bolts for that duty. Elevator bolt heads have a flat surface, probably 1 inch in diameter, for a 1/4 inch thread, and a square shank under the head. When tightened down, the head sinks into the wood, and gives a good surface, with the surface of the wood. I expect that elevator bolts get their name from being used in the floors of elevator cars......I dunno. 
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Tom Beaver

As Doug indicated, the plywood in my 38 was all 3/4 in.  My local bolt and hardware store had some large pan head 1/4 in bolts which were very much like the original bolts and are what I used.  Also Restoration Specialties in Winber PA should have the bolts.  They also have the correct teenut fasteners used in the trunk partition plywood.

Tom Beaver