Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
For Sale / Re: 1953 motor and trans
« Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) on Today at 08:06:27 PM »
The combination is heavy, and I would have thought about 1,000 Lbs.

Don't forget that you have to add all the fluids, especially the Transmission Fluid, as the weights I mentioned I think were dry weights.

Bruce. >:D
Quote from: piperman
I have a 1949 would like to convert it from 6 to 12 volt 

Your original system will support the original car functions when
maintained.  A lot less trouble than a conversion.  Some reasons
owners have changed to a 12V neg ground alternator are

New heavier loads (air cond, lights)
Need to operate 12V neg ground equipment (audio)
Increased output at idle (discharge at night)
Elimination of mechanical regulator and wiring
Reduced maintenance

good luck, Bruce Roe
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Dual 12v / 6v 1947 Cadillac
« Last post by 47bigcadillac on Today at 07:58:30 PM »
Just the 32

The 47 runs fine on today's high octane fuel
For sale, a 1939 Cadillac Series 7559 Formal Seven Passenger Sedan Limo (FML) with opera- type seats and only has 48k miles.
Iím very flexible on how Iíll sell it, with or without the rebuilt engine, transmission etc.
The front clip, dual side mounts and rear fenders were removed, painted and set back on the car and currently looks like in the picture. I have lots of pictures of the car and its parts, even an extra engine.
Iíve already rebuilt the original flat head V8 engine, three speed transmission, clutch, rear leaf springs, brakes etc.
Must sell now.
If I sell it without the rebuilt engine etc., I'm asking $7,500 OBO.
With the rebuilt parts, Iím asking $12,750 OBO.
Call Cliff at five one zero- three nine zero- three nine two one for full information about the car or e- mail me at hunt7m@hotmail.com for more information.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 59 Cadillac fluid question
« Last post by wbdeford on Today at 07:45:26 PM »
I use Dexron III in my 58 transmission and power steering.

For the cooling system, I use distilled water + water pump lube/anti-rust + denatured alcohol.  Since I don't drive it much in the winter, I don't lose much alcohol to evaporation

In warm seasons, I leave out the denatured alcohol. 

I started doing this because I was noticing coolant loss that I couldn't account for and I couldn't rule out the possibility it was getting in my crankcase.  Since the cutover, I have never had to add to the cooling system between refills.
Technical / Authenticity / Transmission Compound Gearset names
« Last post by bcroe on Today at 07:42:30 PM »
Quote from: wbdeford
  The first 4 speeds were the 1940 Hydra-Matic. 
All the Cadillac automatic transmissions were 4 speed 

Right, I forgot to say those using a regular torque converter, overdrive
units introduced AFTER the original Hydro.  Bruce Roe
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Transmission Compound Gearset names
« Last post by wbdeford on Today at 07:35:45 PM »
Didn't Simpson have something to do with Ford?  And it was first used in the 'Turbo' which later became the 400?

Check out this series if you want to see how those things worked.   I think he may name the stuff too.   The same channel has lots of cool videos.   I found the ones on hybrid trans axles interesting.  In those they sometimes use the electric motors as 'brakes' where you may have previously used a band.   Some of the presenters are not as good as others.   The guy that did the video in the link below is the one I like the most.   For what appears to usually be a one man production they are really well done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygkRuwCpKxU

That's a nice video from a little skimming.  He is describing the original Hydra-Matic design. Even though they changed them a lot for the Controlled Coupling, a.k.a, Jetaway, the general gearset design itself is the same.  The Controlled Coupling eliminates bands entirely as far as shifting goes, making it much, much smoother.  (It still has a band, but it is only used to lock the rear unit for engine braking when the shifter is on L.) 
General Discussion / Re: Diamondback Radials
« Last post by My Deville on Today at 07:34:09 PM »
David & Steve,
Thanks for responding I really would like your photos whenever you can take them. A little recap on your satisfaction is also appricated. For Steve, I requested detail photos from Diamondback and they declined my request.
Brian
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Transmission Compound Gearset names
« Last post by wbdeford on Today at 07:23:57 PM »
The first Generals 4 speed autos were like the previous 3 speeds, but with
an overdrive gear and a lock up torque converter placed in front, instead
of a full time torque converter.  Bruce Roe

The first 4 speeds were the 1940 Hydra-Matic.  All the Cadillac automatic transmissions were 4 speed, with the same setup (carrier of set 1 tied to sun of set 2 via a fluid coupling, and ring of set 2 tied to sun of set 3, and carriers of sets 2 and 3 tied to the output.)  Sets 2 and 3 are what I am hoping to find a name for--though maybe there isn't one.  They used this up until the TH400 in 1964. 

TH400 is a Simpson, and so is the Chrysler Torqueflite and probably .  Simpson is 2 sets with the sun gears tied together and the carrier of one unit tied to the ring gear of the other.  Then, as you describe, they use Simpson + an extra overdrive to get 4 speed.

700R4 is able to get overdrive with just the two sets. The ring of each set is tied to the carrier of the other.  This is the other one I'm looking for the name of.  I think my 1997 Subaru has a very similar configuration to 700R4.
General Discussion / Re: Good grief....
« Last post by Bobby B on Today at 07:12:02 PM »
Does it have an accelerator?

Has Boat style Throttle Levers on the door top on the driver's side, of course..... >:D
                                                           Bobby
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Get the CLCMRC 2018 Calendar - AVAILABLE NOW!