News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

52 hydramatic dual range transmission

Started by 03vorteczr2, February 19, 2008, 01:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03vorteczr2

Hello everyone,
I recently came across a 1952 cadillac coupe deville.I got a chance to get it on the road for about 2 miles and the transmission seems to slip when the car goes up a slight incline. My question is is there any thing I could check myself that could be a problem? Does anyone know of a reputable transmission shop that specializes in hydramatics in or by this area? I am near Albuquerque NM.

Thanks for any replies,

Christopher
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

John Morris #23947

Not trying to be picky, but thats Hydramatic. Not Hydromatic.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe the problem is that it has "water" in it, and actually may be a Hydromatic?

Bruce. >:D

PS.  Sorry, John, but couldn't resist. ;D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

03vorteczr2

Oops!! My mistake sorry about that... Anybody have any info about the hydramatic transmission?
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Christopher,

Sorry, but I cannot assist with anyone in your area, but I would be first checking the Fluid Level in the transmission.

What you are describing could be a lack of fluid.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Albuquerque is a lovely place.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

greg surfas 15634

Christopher,
Bruce has the correct starting place.  Check the transmission fluid level, with the transmission warmed up, on level ground.  The dip stick is on the left side of the transmission near the front, just behind the bellhousing.  How do you get to it?
Under the carpet just to the right of the drivers position there should be an access "plug" in the floor board.  The dipstick is right under thew hole in the floor.
If the transmission is at the correct mark on the dipstick the slipping could be due to an out of adjustment throttle pressure rod.  There are two controls on the left side of the transmission. One for the gear selector and the second is the throttle pressure control.  The adjustment of this control rod, connected through a series of rods and bell cranks to the carburetor has always been a black art. Too much and the transmission shifts extremely harshly, too little and it slips.
I might suggest calling around to the commercial truck repair agencies in your area.  This transmission was used into (I believe) the early 60's in commercial trucks, and they might point you in the direction of someone knowledgeable in their repair and adjustment.
Lots of luck
Greg

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: greg surfas 15634 on February 19, 2008, 04:00:40 PMThe dip stick is on the left side of the transmission near the front, just behind the bellhousing.  How do you get to it?
Under the carpet just to the right of the drivers position there should be an access "plug" in the floor board.  The dipstick is right under thew hole in the floor.
1952 was the first year they put dipstick in the "usual" place, accessible through engine compartment.

If fluid level is good and transmission is still slipping, you should drain transmission fluid. There is a drain screw in transmission pan this year, but I suggest removing pan and checking for impurities in bottom of pan. "Slipping" often means sticky valves and/or pistons, caused by used band/clutch debris accumulation as there is no filter on these models. If you can't see metallic debris, try putting new fluid, new pan gasket and proceed with a band adjustment as described in the shop manual (this is made through an access hole in middle of front floor).

If it still doesn't work well, get ready to have your transmission reconditioned.
1952 60 Special in France.

03vorteczr2

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Ill check that this weekend I know its at the proper level but I havent drained it yet.
I also found a shop that says they do work on thost transmissions but they gave me an estimate of 1500-2000 dollars
for a rebuild. Is that about right or is it high??

Chris
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

As with all our cars - GET A WORKSHOP MANUAL !! They have a detailed diagnosis procedure for the Hydramatic and instructions on adjusting the control rods etc. etc. Look for the simple things first, you may save yourself a fortune and you do need someone who knows what they are doing if it needs rebuilding and it will be expensive. Good luck.
Phil

Glen

I may be wrong, but didn’t this transmission have bands that need adjusting every few thousand miles?  A worn band would cause slipping. 

Glen   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Glen on February 21, 2008, 02:34:21 AMI may be wrong, but didn’t this transmission have bands that need adjusting every few thousand miles?  A worn band would cause slipping. 
The 1952 shop manual recommends draining fluid every 25,000 miles, but band adjustment is not stated as part of preventive maintenance.
1952 60 Special in France.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Chris, I think that's a reasonable price for a rebuild.  I had the hydramatic in my 47 rebuilt and it was a good $700 more than that.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500