News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

52 hydro-lectric system

Started by 03vorteczr2, April 21, 2008, 01:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03vorteczr2

Hello everyone!

Im in the process of rebuilding the hydro-lectric system in my 52 cadillac coupe deville. Ive read a few posts saying not to use brake fluid and to use transmission fluid.
If so what kind of transmission fluid is best? Will the seals be ok with transmission fluid or would they need to be replaced in the cylinders and motor? Also It looks like there might be brake fluid in there now. How would I go about flushing out all the old fluid?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Chris,

I have a 53 CDV, same system, but 12 volt. Before taking it totally apart and installing new rebuilt pump, window, and seat pistons I did not have much luck running Dextron. Seems the window cylinders (new ones) would fail every few years.

The only way I know to flush the system is to take it apart. The window and seat pistons are one way switches so you need to rebuild them (best idea if you are going to do the whole clean-up), or at least take the switches off and clean them out with alcohol. I tried flushing the system through the pump, but it just does not get the fluid out of the lines, or the seat and window pistons. I found this out when I took it all apart.

Now after replacing most of the lines and cleaning the metal lines not replaced (when out of the car). rebuilding everthing else -- the system with Dextron in it has worked great for the last 6 years and no piston or pump failures.

Life is good, but it is early in the season.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series