News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1984 Eldorado touring edition convertible.

Started by Terry Rigby, May 20, 2008, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Rigby

I own a 1984 Eldorado Touring Edition Convertibe made by the Hess & Eisenhardt Co. I would like to know if anyone else owens one. I can find no production number information. I can't belive that ony one was made I would appreciate any help with this !!!!!!! So far I have only come to dead ends.

Terry J. Rigby

76eldo

I also have a Hess and Eisenhardt convertible, a 1980.

I have an 85 Eldorado convertible too, an ASC conversion.

I am interested in exchanging info and pictures with other Hess and Eisenhardt Eldo or Deville convertible owners.  I have some damaged weatherstripping, and would like to find out if H and E made their own tops, or if they used an existing top from a different car.

There was a UK website that had some info and photos, but it is now a bad link, with a blank page.

I am putting a couple of photos of my car.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Terry Rigby

Lou

I really appreciate the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Rigby

Terry Rigby

Brian

Thanks for the help I am not able to contact the UK website either. My car is all black with a tan interior and has the center counsol.

76eldo

I think I saw one like that on ebay a while back.  The buckets and center console is very rare for an 84 or 85.  I guess H and E didn't like the Biarritz trim on the quarters, since their version has much different lines.

Let's hope we can get some info eventually.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

I will be at the show in New Hope Pa on Sunday, sponsored by the Professional Car Society.  Maybe one of those guys will know something about the remains of Hess and Eisenhardt.

I will let you know.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

That information is wrong.  Hess and Eisenhardt's production was much lower than the ASC "factory" conversions of 84 and 85.  The ASC numbers for 84 and 85 are 2300 each year.  They were all Biarritz's. 

The H and E cars were (from all the ones I have seen on ebay over the last 5 years or so) all base models, and some were touring editions.

The UK website listed 200 1979 Le Cabrolet's (Coupe DeVilles) and 50 1980 Eldorados.  I have a friend that bought a 1980 H and E new, and I will ask him what he remembers about the purchase.  It was traded on a 1985 Biarritz convertible, which I bought from him in 1990, when he permanently switched to buying MB and BMW.

I have this 1980 H and E Eldo convert, and plan on keeping it forever.  I love the bodystyle, and I will not have to deal with the HT4100 drivetrain, and the associated difficulties.

I am very interested in info on these cars.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Johnny

Quote from: 76eldo on May 22, 2008, 08:46:37 PM
I will be at the show in New Hope Pa on Sunday, sponsored by the Professional Car Society.  Maybe one of those guys will know something about the remains of Hess and Eisenhardt.

I will let you know.

Brian

Professional Car Society?  Remains of Hess and Eisenhardt?  Is that what is known as "Gallows Humor"?

76eldo

It's possible that they made 3300 in 1984, but I know that for the final year in 1985, they only made 2300.  I have owned my 85 since 1990, and have done a lot of research on these.

I don't think that the Hess and Eisenhardt totals would be counted in  there.  The VIN number on my 80 convertible has is 6L579AE643242. The L57 in the VIN denotes an Eldorado Coupe.  All of the Eldorado convertibles for 84 and 85 that were ASC converted "factory" cars have the L67 designation in the VIN.

There is not very much info available about the Hess and Eisenhardt cars.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mark

Hey all,
Well I may have some information that may help you all out. When Hess & Eisenhardt stopped making the conversions we bought out the remainder of their stock as well as engineering notes, part numbers, drawings etc. We have tons of parts that have been in boxes on shelves, much of it we cannot even determine which car it is for, we even have some parts for the Mercury Cougar conversion...now there is a hot seller! :-) I would be willing to scan the paperwork we have for the Eldorados and email them to anyone who wants it, all I ask is you be patient with me as we are crazy busy. Most of the paper work is just part numbers with the engineers notes or comments, we do have some wiring diagrams also. Maybe by offering this info to some of you that actually own the cars you may be able to help me identify what parts we do have here. I know what it is like to own cars that are hard to find parts for or even legit information, just let me know if anyone here wants an inbox stuffed with scans!
Thanks,
Mark

Kerry Lange

Quote from: Mark on June 20, 2008, 03:59:26 PM
Hey all,
Well I may have some information that may help you all out. When Hess & Eisenhardt stopped making the conversions we bought out the remainder of their stock as well as engineering notes, part numbers, drawings etc. We have tons of parts that have been in boxes on shelves, much of it we cannot even determine which car it is for, we even have some parts for the Mercury Cougar conversion...now there is a hot seller! :-) I would be willing to scan the paperwork we have for the Eldorados and email them to anyone who wants it, all I ask is you be patient with me as we are crazy busy. Most of the paper work is just part numbers with the engineers notes or comments, we do have some wiring diagrams also. Maybe by offering this info to some of you that actually own the cars you may be able to help me identify what parts we do have here. I know what it is like to own cars that are hard to find parts for or even legit information, just let me know if anyone here wants an inbox stuffed with scans!
Thanks,
Mark

It is unfortunate that there is so little information on the Hess and Eisenhardt conversions. I have a '81 Olds 98  convertible by H&E. Production figures that I've obtained show that the Olds 98 conversions ceased in 1980, so I'm assuming that I have the only 1981 ever built.  I've spent the past nine years trying to find any information on these cars and have a grand total of four pages. So far I've been lucky enough not to need any H&E specific parts such as quarter windows or top mechanisms, but I'm sure that these issues will eventually surface.

Kerry

ELDO84HandE

Hey all,
Thanks,
Mark
Hey Mark,

We come from the Netherlands and with a question,
we bought an Caddy Eldorado 1984 convertible H&E, and we have a little problem.
when we bought it everything was working fine, until a few weeks ago the convertible top en the windows would not work anymore?
also we have a problem with the airco system, this was also working, but not anymore :-(
We are looking everywhere for some electric wiring diagram of the electric that H&M has build in the car.
We have measured everything in the car last week, with no result, the fuse's in the circuit board don't get the needed current when the motor is running.

Maybe you could help us with a circuit diagram, it is really appreciated.

Greets and thanks in advance, Sander

76eldo

Drop the lower dash panel that is on the drivers side. It's the black plastic panel with the courtesy lights on it.

You will see the non factory wiring and the window and top power is tied together. The power goes through a circuit breaker mounted to a bracket under the dash.

In my opinion it all looks very sloppy. Use a test light and make sure you have power at both sides of the breaker.

You will also see a fat wire going into the fuse panel. On my car it was plugged into the battery terminal, then through the breaker.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

ELDO84HandE

Thanks for the answer,

We have found the circuit breaker for the windows and top :-)

When we disconnect the battery and measure between the battery clip and the circuit breakers it makes connection.
Only when we connect the battery we don't have current on both sides of the circuit breakers (4).
Al of the circuit breaker board has current except for that 4, strange.
I think there must be a relay hidden somewhere that is given the trouble.

If somebody has a wiring diagram, please let me know.

Thanks Sander

76eldo

This may get more involved.

H & E conversions have a control box behind the rear seat that is accessible from the trunk.  There are a lot of heavy wires running in and out of that box and it is interconnected with the top and windows.

I don't have a clue as far as what's in there.  In my opinion (and I own both, and have owned many) the ASC top design and function is vastly superior.

With both models, the windows come down as soon as you hit the top button.  If the quarter windows are up during the top raising or retracting, there may be damage to the windows and/or the rubber weatherstripping.

If you continue to have trouble and figure out that the problem is in that mystery box, I would bypass all of that, and run new wiring (heavy gauge) from a batt or acc source to the switch, and directly to the top motor, which is a standard dual action top motor.

I'm sure you can remember to raise and lower the top only when the rear quarter windows are lowered without all of the additional relays and interconnects between the windows and top.

I am still VERY interested in getting info from H & E Cadillac owners and starting a roster or website of some kind.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

ELDO84HandE

Thanks for the response !

Yesterday we got the control box out of the trunk to check it, this is inside.

We tried to put direct current on the connector leads going to the top motor and we got it to close and open again.
When we measure for current on connector of the box there is non with the engine on or off.

Where the non factory wiring is going in our fuse box, exactly that 4 circuit breakers have no current.

This weekend we will do some more measuring, and than i will try to post some more pictures :-(

Still hoping that somebody looks at the forum an has some wiring diagrams !

76eldo

The top and windows just stopped working on my 80 H & E Eldo convert earlier this year.  When I looked to see if I had 12 volts at the convertible top switch, I had no voltage. I guess the windows are tied into this circuit through the control box.  I traced the wire back to the fusebox and saw that it was running through a breaker.

I jiggled the connection of the crimped on spade lug at the fusebox and it came alive.

i only knew about the control box because i have a 1981 H & E Eldo convert parts car and the interior is completely removed.  I saw a big bundle of wires running from the top motor into that box.

I think if it all stops working, the relays in the "magic box" could be at fault, and they can be tested and/or replaced.  The electronic part is another story.  Clearly, they sourced that from somewhere and it's possible that it can be repaired, but it's pretty old technology.

If mine goes bad, I would tap into a constant hot source, or keyed hot source, and put a 40 amp inline fuse in series with the breaker.  Breakers are commonly available, but if it malfunctions and doesn't open the circuit in case of a short to ground, the fuse will pop for sure.

What ever I did when I got under the dash changed the operation a little bit, the windows and top work now with the key off.  I don't see that as a real problem, but I think I will look for a keyed hot wire instead when I get a chance.

Good luck, at least you can operate the top now.

Brian

PS... Post some pics of your car.  You can upload them right here if sized properly.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Wookiee

Hey all,
Thanks,
Mark

Yes! I want my inbox stuffed with scans!

I just bought an 84 H&E.  And have just ripped out the old shredded top and am preparing to install the new top & headliner.

I'll take all the info you have and will buy a bunch of spare parts to make it worth your while.
66 deVille Convertible
84 Eldorado H&E Touring Edition Convertible

76eldo

Update to this thread

I have a 1985 Touring Coupe H and E convert I bought last year.

I'd love to exchange some photos.

These are very rare cars.

I have the electrical fix also for the problem described.

Rachlin@comcast.net

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

tonyski

Hey all,
Thanks,
Mark

Does anyone know how I can reach Mark or what happened to H&E stock?
Eldorado Biarritz convertible (H & E Conversion)