News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Eureka Carved Side Hearse

Started by Chad Oolman, June 23, 2008, 01:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

1941 Eureka Carved Side

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have decided to sell my 1941 Eureka Carved Sie 3-way. This car was featured in the Professional Car last year.

The car is all original, engine, interior, and 80% of the paint. It runs and drives very well. We still use it for funerals, when requested.

The paint is old, but still shines well for it's age. There is some cracking and flaking, but no rust. The battery box is the only place that is rusted, and I have a new one for the car.

The interior is very nice, showing minor wear on the drivers seat.

The engine starts easilly and runs very smooth. One gentleman comented that it sounds like a sewing machine.

I had the car in eBay last month, and the bidding went to $54,850. Before relisting it, I am posting the car here. The Buy it now price will be $60,000.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email, chad@oolman.com

There are a lot of pictures on our website, www.oolman.com

Johnny

Very unusual vehicle and really quite nice.  Just out of curiosity, since you were offered only around $5,000, less then your asking price of $60,000, given today's economic situation in the country, why wouldn't you take it?  I am just thinking of the old saying "A bird in the hand, etc."  If you took the $55m00 and invested in a insured CD, you would receive around $2500 in a years time.  I think that would be the more prudent move, rather then seeing if someone is going to offer you $5,000 more then your previous offer.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Johnny,

Everyone is entitled to their own ideas on how they want to run their sales.

Plus, they say that Curiosity killed the cat.   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chad

Ebay had a special where you could list a car for $5.00.  I put the car on ebay with a much higher reserve to see what the bidding would do.  It is hard to determine a fair price for a car that is so unusual.  Ebay is a simple way to "test the waters".  I also think that ebay bidding is often slightly below what a car would typically sell for.  It tends to be a buyers marker.  As far as the economy being a factor, I doubt those interested in spending that kind of money on a car are overly concerned about $4.00 gas!

Johnny

Being a Yankee Doodle Dandy, I most certainly defend a individuals right to conduct their business in anyway they see fit.  I wasn't be judgemental, just curious.  As for that cat, remember they have nine lives............also lets not forget "A bird in the hand is better then 2 in the bush".

Johnny

While I would tend to agree with most of your reply, but I don't think the "rules" entirely apply to a vehicle as unusual and rare as yours.  While I think it would most definitely be admired by all Cadillac enthusiasts, and most people in general, how many people would find it that interesting to own at the price level it is at.  I tend to think most people would gravitate more toward purchasing more "traditional" types of cars.

I also disagree with your assessment that $4.00 a gallon doesn't really affect higher wealth individuals.  Sure Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, aren't feeling the pinch as much as most folks, but for the most part most individuals are, even those that have enough discretionary funds to purchase your vehicle.  I guess it all comes down to just how motivated you are in selling this vehicle.

Shannon Steele

It will be interesting to see what happens in the auction.  From my observations, adding the "buy it now" might help, if people perceive it as reasonable.  However, I would say 9 out of 10 relistings never meet the original high bid.  Of course, there is always the exception.  I hope you will provide us a link when you do list it, so we hopefully can learn from your experience.