News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 4 note Caddie Horns

Started by jkavasch, June 29, 2008, 03:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkavasch

Friends- Hope I'm in right spot.  Anyone remember the glorious (almost train-like) sound produced
by the 1972 4 note OEM  Caddie Horns?  I think these horns also found their way into other high end GM Luxo Sedans(& wagons).  I am trying to locate set of these horns or any info pertaining
as to where I might locate.  I think they are all single wire hookups but may require special relay &
fuse links.  Thanks any help/leads.jkavasch@charter.net
James Kavasch
Medford, OR 97504
541-773-3368

Ted in Olympia WA

Be Careful that you get them from a 1972, these are a one year only mounting on the triple horns up front.  The trumpet horn bolts to the wheel well, inside.  At least this is true for the Eldo don't know about the deville.

I don't think the relay or fuse is specal, but you do need a special jump wire to tie the four together.  If i'm wrong about the relay let me know.

Also about 8 out of 10 horns do not work, so make sure they are tested.

If you have three now that work you can add the trumpet horn.

These are very good sellers when I get them.  But I don't have any now.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

jkavasch

Ted- Thks very much your reply.  Finally someone understands. Sorry if I misplaced my post.
At present I do not have any horns(Trumpets or otherwise) so I'm starting at square one.  I also found a company in Beloit, WI "The Horn Works".  For a fee(Yes, Ouch!) They will tear down and
replace/restore any horn you send them. He also aware my project however he not have any pieces
but has offered to look. Check his website.  His work is first rate.  With a little luck & lots of patience
I just might be able to complete my mission.  Beautiful as those horns sound, I think they will be making a very expensive noise during this project!  Thanks so much again any leads you can send my way.  Should I place posts of this nature in "Buy/Sell?"  Thanks Ted! jkavasch@charter.net

Ted in Olympia WA

What model car do you have?

TED

jkavasch

Ted- Please don't shoot me but I am planning on mounting them on a 1992 Lincoln Town Car just
purchased and yes it is hornless.  Mom & Dad were die hard Cadillac Lovers & owners which is where I developed my fondness for those beautiful warblers.  Couldn't swing an old Cad but found this town car for a great price.  235, 000 miles.  Everything works except it is hornless.  Even the newer
continental duals can't hold a candle to the 72' Golden Throats.  I will have my XLR-V one of these days!  So , Do I still have to walk The Plank?

James

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

James:

Check previous posts on horns.  There are some simple things
that you can do which work in most cases and will get these guys working
again.  I don't want to recount all that again here, but if you put "horns" in the
search engine on the Forum you will find a wealth of information.

It's worth trying these before you go through an expensive rebuild.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

jkavasch

Mike- Thanks very much your post & interest in my project.  Your stable of Cadillacs most impressive.
Been reading a few historical sites and I had no idea how steeped in history the 55' Eldorado was.
She's a beautiful Flagship!

At this point in my project I do not have a set of the famous 72' four notes or the car they belong in.
Mom & Dad were both very big lovers & owners of the big Cads.  It is where I first heard and became interested in the famous 4 Notes.

Many of your fine forum members have replied to my post and I am learning just how special
and sought after these most unique Cadillac exclusives have become.(I was all of four years old
when your 55' was produced.) But I will never forget the "Dreamlike" sound produced by those 72'
4 notes.  I will be lucky & feel very fortunate if I am ablle to locate a set of these Horns in any condition.  Thanks again for your tips on archives & sharing ideas on where to dig to find good results.  Wish I could get my hands on Dad's 69 Coupe De Ville which I bent on Grad night in 1969!
(Sorry Pop!)  That was the longest ride home I will ever remember!

Thanks again & take good care of those 'Elegant Ladies'!

James K

Ted in Olympia WA

Well that opens up a lot more options.  You will find trumpet horns up to 1975 and after that they went to 4 horns that look alike but produced a nice sound.

I do have a single trumpet horn for a 73 and I also have a 3 horn trumpet horn set from a 67 Eldorado.

TED

jkavasch

Ted- Thks much reply.

So in effect we could mix & match & come very close tone-wise to the 72 4 note?

Are the trumpets too large to fit upwards behind or in front of radiator or would they all have to find homes somewhere up in each wheelwell?

As far as connections are trumpets all single wire or would install require exotic combo of relays?

Sorry so many questions.  This sort of first project of this nature. In the past I had large Grover
Duals on my F-250 Superduty and set of triple Wolos on my 2005 Viper SRT-10 Quad Cab.

Thank the Lord I no longer have That 'Oil Burner' or the Viper.  Out of the box The Viper was
9mpg.  After I added flashed PCM dropped down to about 5-6 mpg. She was a Tire Shredding
howling speed monster but wouldn't be much use today sitting in driveway with the needle on constant 'E'.But i do miss my air horns.  4 note project makes a little more sense as not have to fool with moving Battery into trunk to make room for compressor up front.

Will the sets you have now require full restore or how much life do you think they have left?

Thanks again your help & advice!
James

Ted in Olympia WA

I drove home a 1972 parts car today that has a good working set of 3 horns, very rare.  If you combine this with the trumpet horn I already have I have the full set you are looking for.  The only problem is that someone painted the trumpet horn white, I don't get this.  They sound very nice and loud.

I don't think the relay is anything special but it's there also, I think your Lincoln will handle it just fine.  Also the wiring harness for the horns.

The last set of 4 horns I had for a 73-74 sold $250 (they hit the buy it now).  If you would like this set I would sell it for $220 shipped.

TED
tmdunlap@comcast.net

jkavasch

Ted- Sounds like you found a Keeper! Trying to ansa you via Comcast direct.Can you give me a bell @
541-621-0619-cell.

Thks Mate!
James