Author Topic: Slow and loosing connection.  (Read 4293 times)

Offline TJ Hopland

Slow and loosing connection.
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
The last few weeks I have sometimes not been able to connect to the site and several times after typing a long and detailed reply have got a message that the connection was lost.    This is the only site I have noticed the issue with and it has been on several computers and in a few different states so I dont think its my computer(s) or where I am trying to connect from.

Ideas or is it just me?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
75 Eldo rusty but trusty
80 Eldo Diesel
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Offline Carfreak

• Name: CLC #5125
Re: Slow and loosing connection.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »

Ideas or is it just me?

Not just you; I have that same problem periodically including about an hour ago on this site and yesterday....   Also at times I find slow responses when trying to open threads. 

With regards to the 'after typing a long detailed reply have got a message that the connection was lost' probem, try hitting the back key if only to select and copy the text to prevent losing it.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Often when it occurs to me (getting the annoying lost connection message) when I hit the back key I can try to repost and it will work. 

Offline TJ Hopland

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
Often times the back key trick does work but more recently it usually has not worked.    I have done the copy trick but if I cant get back in right away I sometimes forget and copy something else and loose it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

75 Eldo rusty but trusty
80 Eldo Diesel

Offline TJ Hopland

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
Today has been more not working than working so far.

here is the exact message I am getting, its not the only one I have seen but its a common one

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Often times i dont even get the message it just sits there 'loading'
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

75 Eldo rusty but trusty
80 Eldo Diesel

Offline Glen

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #727
  • Name: Glen Houlton
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »
Iíve been having the same issues.  There for a while I had a total loss of access to this forum at an exact time.  I figured it was a shut down for maintenance issue.   

About loss of connection when typing a reply, I type up my replies off line in MSword, and then open the reply window and copy and paste.  I never have a problem with time outs which is what causes this.  I also appear to be a better speller than in real life as MSword points out all my mistakes like a nagging wife.   :D

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Offline Mike Josephic CLC #3877

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #3877
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »
How bout an update from the CLC brass in regard to the future of this forum?

Jeff put in his retirement papers & two mods resigned some time ago. No help wanted signs posted here or in the SS. What gives?

Lou
[/color]
I don't pretend to speak for the "top brass" but I am on the Board so here's what I know.

An attempt has been going on for over a year to find a replacment for Jeff but so far without
success.  Several people have been interviewed (for a PAID position) since nobody would volunteer
to take it on "gratis".  So far, none of these candidates have worked out.

Jeff, in trying to help the club out, has been keeping things going but we all know this can't last forever.  I would expect this will be a discussion topic at the next Board Meeting in July.

As far as the moderators, as always members need to step up and volunteer to help the effort out.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Offline Otto Skorzeny

• 1956 Coupe de Ville aka Bismarck
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
Regarding Jeff and Carfreak's problems:

I too have been having a lot of trouble the last couple of days with this site. Messages like, Server is busy, can't locate server, connection can't be established, etc. have been popping up regularly when trying to view a thread or post a message.

This happens while I am simultaneously viewing other sites and SM forums so I know it's a glitch with this site and not my own computer problems.

Just letting the PTB know.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Offline Jeff Hansen

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4225
  • Name: Jeff Hansen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
I, too, noticed this yesterday.  Unfortunately, I was at work and could not do anything about it at the time.  Calling our ISP and having them track this when the problem is not occurring doesn't work very well.  Rest assured that if I'm logged on, the problem is occurring, and I'm not at work, I'll be on the phone to the ISP to resolve this. 

We share the computer the forum runs on with other customers of the ISP.  More than likely, one of those other customers is running an intensive process that is stealing CPU cycles from us.  That has always been the problem in the past and there is no reason to believe that this is not the case this time.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
Just happened to me at about 9.55 AEST Australian Eastern Standard Time, but was okay at 10.012 AEST

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Mike Josephic CLC #3877

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #3877
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I, too, noticed this yesterday.  Unfortunately, I was at work and could not do anything about it at the time.  Calling our ISP and having them track this when the problem is not occurring doesn't work very well.  Rest assured that if I'm logged on, the problem is occurring, and I'm not at work, I'll be on the phone to the ISP to resolve this. 

We share the computer the forum runs on with other customers of the ISP.  More than likely, one of those other customers is running an intensive process that is stealing CPU cycles from us.  That has always been the problem in the past and there is no reason to believe that this is not the case this time.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Jeff

THANK YOU JEFF,  FOR CONTINUING TO HELP US OUT!!!  YOU ARE GOING "ABOVE AND BEYOND" THE CALL OF DUTY ON THIS!!!!

MIKE
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Offline Glen

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #727
  • Name: Glen Houlton
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:30:11 AM »
Iím getting the following at 1:14 AM Eastern time. 

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I hope this helps trouble shoot the problem.

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Offline 35-709

• The most valuable antique is an old friend.
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4719
  • Name: G. Newcombe
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
"THANK YOU JEFF,  FOR CONTINUING TO HELP US OUT!!!  YOU ARE GOING "ABOVE AND BEYOND" THE CALL OF DUTY ON THIS!!!!

MIKE"

I'll second that!
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod

Offline Jeff Hansen

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4225
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:33 AM »
On phone with ISP at this moment.....
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Offline Jeff Hansen

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4225
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
OK, I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with our ISP's tech support group.

We looked at a number of things and the bottom line is this: we have disabled the search feature for those that are "guests" and not forum members.  It appears that someone or some bot was hammering us with very complex searches and it was taking all of the forum computer's processing power to work on those searches.  This was keeping the rest of us from being able to enjoy the forum and giving us those "unable to connect to the database" messages.  When we disabled the search functionality altogether, the slow downs went away and things were functioning normally.  When we turned the search capability back on for everyone, the slow downs returned immediately.  When we disallowed searching only for guests, the slowdowns stopped and things ran normally.  So, the bottom line is no search capabilities for guests.   Sorry about that.

I'll be continuing to monitor this over time.  I'm not saying the slowdowns are a thing of the past, but they should be minimized.

Thanks again for your patience and please email if the problems persist.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Offline Carfreak

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for spending time on a Sunday afternoon to get to the bottom of the problem.   

Sounds like you basically hit them with a big dose of 'Bot Be Gone'.   :D   

CF

Offline Jeff Maltby 4194

• 49 fastback
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff. My Honda Goldwing Club (GWRRA ) recently changed over to the 2010 Simple Machine LLC version. I see the CLC is using the 06-07 version  ? Could that be the part of the problem ? Hi CF :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Offline Carfreak

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
Hi Jeffo.    That weatherhead fuel line fit like a glove.    :)

Offline Jeff Hansen

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4225
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
Hi Jeff,

It is possible that such an issue has been addressed in a subsequent release.  I was hoping to hold off upgrading until someone new came on board, but I may have to forego that plan.  There are other upgrades needed, too, so I may bite the bullet.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Offline 35-709

• The most valuable antique is an old friend.
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4719
  • Name: G. Newcombe
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »
As of 10:05 PM est, the problem is still intermittent.
Geoff N.

Connection Problems
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod