News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 DeVille Convertible resto

Started by Chuck Swanson, September 29, 2011, 10:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Thanks Jeff.  The wet sanding really paid off.  Looks great and nice and smooth.  I wound up doing a lot of the sanding.  Was nervous using the 600 grit, but got the hang of it.  Just went up to 1500 on rest of parts.  After the wet sanding, some cleaning with RM 831, then tack and more coats of clear by my friend Bill.  Car back at my house now.  I just need to put the car back together.   Not as worried about that part as I have done before :)  Hoping to start assembling the convertible parts this weekend so I can get  down to the top guy this month. 

Once I reassemble the car will go back to Bill for some buffing.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Convertible top frame done and installed.  Whew, this was a lot of work.  Also installed new cylinders, lines and pump.  I also got the new brass bushing kit from Hydroe, alone with replacing all the rest of hardware on frame except the 8 mounting bolts, which I restored.  Restored latch with new front chrome/hook/spring kit. Even cleaned up up hose clips in tumbler and painted original color :)   Appointment with shop on 6/14 to install new Electron top.   Still need to bleed air out of lines. New weather-stripping just test fitted.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DeVille68

Good work!
In your picture where the pump is visible it seems to me that you still have some air in the circuit?!
The bleeding procedure is quite simple. Explained in the service manual.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Chuck Swanson

Yes, good catch.  I have had it on the To Do list ;)  Thanks!
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Brought the car down to Upholstery shop today to install the new Electron convertible top!  Have not posted for a while as I was prepping my '67 Nova...won it's First AACA Grand National 1st place award on June 4th!   The '66 Cad will also be entered in AACA shows.   Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chaz,

Congratulations! They ain't easy  to come by
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Thanks Ralph!

Here's some pics of the new Electron top.  Installed by trim shop today.   All lines bled and goes up and down fine.

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DeVille68

nice!

Did you also install the additional insulation pad from the front bow to the first bow?

My 68 Deville is missing this pad too - most Cadillacs I saw sofar where missing this - but this was original from factory! Should give you a quieter interior and some better noise and heat insulation.  (was is factory in 66 too? )

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Nicolas,

You're correct about the pad from the header to the first bow. It was factory standard for many years.
It seemed to fade away with replacement tops as convertibles aged. Part of the reason could be that later owners didn't know it should be there .  I ordered the pad with my top from Electron and it only cost a few dollars. There is additional work for the installer but I don't have the incremental price of installation. 
Given that convertibles are noisy, some folks may not have seen the value to lower noise or more  insulation.
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: DeVille68 on June 17, 2016, 03:37:51 PM
nice!

Did you also install the additional insulation pad from the front bow to the first bow?

My 68 Deville is missing this pad too - most Cadillacs I saw sofar where missing this - but this was original from factory! Should give you a quieter interior and some better noise and heat insulation.  (was is factory in 66 too? )

Thanks!! Yes, definitely ordered the pads.  They were $70 or so for pair from Electron tops.  However, the pad is longer than the first bow...either way the pads are nice :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

The Tassie Devil(le)

The pad Nick is referring to is virtually an interior headlining sheet that goes from the header bow to the first bow, and covers the full width of the area above the front seat.

The Pair of long pads will be the side pads that go from the header bow to the rear bow, and act as a side support to do two jobs.   Support the top material as it traverses the area from the flat top to the side, bolstering the side curve, and a locating link to keep the bows in alignment.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 17, 2016, 09:02:06 PM
The pad Nick is referring to is virtually an interior headlining sheet that goes from the header bow to the first bow, and covers the full width of the area above the front seat.

The Pair of long pads will be the side pads that go from the header bow to the rear bow, and act as a side support to do two jobs.   Support the top material as it traverses the area from the flat top to the side, bolstering the side curve, and a locating link to keep the bows in alignment.

Thanks for the clarification Bruce.  Upon further inspection, I did order the "front" pad.  I see in the Electron catalog, yes, it is $70.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DeVille68

So this "front pad" for 70$ is something else.
How make this correct insulation sheet from the front bow to the first bow?

Could I add this to my top now?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I believe it has to be added to the top before the cover material is installed.

My '72 has the scissors top, and that definitely is sewn down the sides to the side padding, around the front bow, and the centre part is padded (I can feel it through the torn part.)

Mine looks original, but the actual top material has been replaced.

One day, I will attempt to sew a patch where it is torn, but it hasn't torn any further since I purchased the car in 2007.

PS.   The different colouring is because of fading over the years.   It looks like the lighter shaded area is open to the sun when the top is down, and maybe the previous owner/s, didn't bother to fit the hard boots when the top was down.   And I can understand this not happening.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DeVille68

Thanks for the pictures!
The only picture I found so far was one from an Ebay listing - it is from a 69 Convertible.
Now that you mentioned it - the picture of the 69 top also seems to have a stitching.

Chuck Swanson

Haven't posted in a while due to my Dad's health last year as some of you know.

Here are some recent pics.

All chrome done, except for 3-4 pieces
Grill getting re-anodized next week
Rear springs on way
Radio rebuilt at shop, picking up next week. 
Bottom line, I have around 99% of items done for reassembly. 

Pics are installing of upper and lower rear control arms.  New bushings installed.  Was installing springs today, but got wrong ones from Summit (Moog), so ordered a set from Eaton today. 

My son Alex using old school torque wrench to tighten to 65 Ft/lbs...I like the old style better than the ones that click....broke two clickers over the years, but this one still going.  Best tool purchase I made, except for the lift.  Not sure how some do this w/o a lift, especially with frozen bolts. 

Shop manual says just lift opposite lower control arm with jack, but for extra safety, especially since I don't have drive shaft installed, added the tower jack to slowly let down. Spring came out beautifully.

FYI, the entire underneath of car painting black, exactly how it was before I started resto, but got a little dirty from the water spaying at paint booth to prep car.  I just need to clean as it is all done.  Yes, I know I should have replaced spring, bushings and shocks before painting car ;)  Next time!
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Bentley

Hi Chuck,

I was looking at some earlier photos you posted of your convertible top. I really like the beige external fabric color with the black interior color and black powdercoating on the frame. Was this an available color combination from the factory? My '68 DeVille came from the factory with a beige top and beige frame. I will be restoring my top in the future and really prefer your color combination, but also want to keep it as close to original as possible.

Wes
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Wes,

The top frame was painted to match the convertible material lining color which in some cases was similar the the outside of the fabric.
In '66 the tops were white, black, blue, green, covert and sandalwood. The white and black had black linings, while the covert and sandalwood had beige (light tan) lining. Reproduction top materials available today have only black or beige linings.
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Just to add, the third pic above in the series of pics show the color a little better, it's white from Electron top.   Not a bright, bright white, but white :)  Thanks, Chuck

Oh, Eaton confirmed my order on the phone today and confirmed that they have the exact springs, in stock.  Measured the old ones on phone with them and measurements the same, with correct ends.   
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Bentley on June 05, 2017, 06:51:39 PM
Hi Chuck,

I was looking at some earlier photos you posted of your convertible top. I really like the beige external fabric color with the black interior color and black powdercoating on the frame. Was this an available color combination from the factory? My '68 DeVille came from the factory with a beige top and beige frame. I will be restoring my top in the future and really prefer your color combination, but also want to keep it as close to original as possible.

Wes

Wes, also take a look at post 7 in this long thread and you'll see the black under the gas tank.  I have 6 of the 65-66 cads and all have been black (along with one I saw in a pick-n-pull)...not talking about the undercoating.  Also, whenever I remove original bolts on my cars, you can see the black.  Not sure why the authenticity manual just lists grey, but grey was probably on many of the cars too.  I just haven't run into one yet.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T