News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring my 1942-6719

Started by gary griffin, October 19, 2011, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Armitage

Your making some good progress.  What a great history the car has, it's nice that you saved it.  I can't wait to see the finished product!
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

gary griffin

Camera on the blitz more pics in 9 days (New batteries coming).

Got the motor apart and the broken head bolts all out and engine is being prepared for a complete rebuild. Should be ready in a couple of weeks

Steeing wheel palstic was too bad for repair. Steering wheel Bob welded  a new 18 inch rim on it and painted it along with brake handle, shift knob, signal knob, heater/defroster control knobs, vent handles , and radio push buttons (42 has palstic push buttons) to match and Bob is sending the extra paint just in case I need it later.

I have a 42 radio in pretty rusty condition and hopefully I can get the mechanism installed on  another radio I have so I can have the plastic push buttons for authenticty.

I found a freshly chromed 42 bumper with guards (42's are all different) and it should be here Friday. Update the bumper came yesterday and the bumper is fantastic. It came from a guy in California selling old bumpers he buys from salvage yards. He sells on eBay under the name chromeminer and he sells with a higher price listing but takes offers. He has a few Cadillac bumpers but the one on eBay was incorrect as the 42 bumper is a one year only item but he had a 42 in stock and chromed it for me. Beautiful job and the guards are terriffic.

Carbuerator is in Florida at Daytona parts getting rebuilt.

Picking up a load of chrome parts tomorrow and leaving a few more pieces there to be done.

I just finished reworking my heaters and defroster (One new  used fan motor from Cadillad Jones in Minessota) and set them up on the bench wired as they will be in the car. The fans all worked but the rheostat controlling the defroster fan isnt working so I am searching for one of those. I tested the Ranco valve and it is working as is the fan automatic shut off. I need information on adjusting the set screw that sets the on-off range for the heater fans.

My overly optomistic Christmas completion has moved out quite a way as we are going to Arizona for all of January and possibly longer.

I have all of the electrical components cleaned up, and painted ready to reinstall with the new wiring harness from Rhode Island electric. I forgot to order the foglamp and heater wiring (They were optional in 1942) and I just received them last week.

Lots of boxes inventroied and marked ready to install. New flat glass and fortunatly the curved rear window was fine.

All new rubber from Steele on hand in the garage

New rubber for the concealed running boards and the stone guards ready to glue on

Plan B is to get the car home and running and ready to trim out and then go south for a few weeks, come home, trim the car out installing all of the boxes of new parts and thn taking it to the upholsterer. Lets see how that goes?

Adjusted completion estimated date May day?? Anybody want to place a bet??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

gary griffin

I am not having much visible progress but accomplishing a lot of prep work.

The engine is in the machine shop and the rebuild kit from Old.Parts (AKA Kanter) is there with it hoping for early January completion.

The 31 pieces of metal interior trim are ready to ship back from Bob Kennedy inCalifornia and the check to pay for it is in the mail. I am really looking forward  to seeing all of the wood grain painted metal parts.

The steering wheel has a new rim on it and it along with the other painted plastic interior parts like E-Brake handle, shift knob, radio push buttons (42 is only year in the 40's with plastic here) heater knobs and so forth.

Newly chromed bumpers and all of the other rechromed parts are in the garage.

Working on new wiring harness and wiring light buckets.

5 each 16 inch wheels are at the painters being painted Vincinnes Red.

Getting ready to order 5 Diamondback 750R16 tires for mid January delivery

Running late and over budget but getting excited to see it coming together

Hoping to figre out Camera glitch soon

Ordered 5 each wide white wall tires from Diamondback, expensive but radials looking a     lot like the original bias ply tires.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

Engine rebuild is delaying my completion date but all else is in order. I bought another 1942   6719 for some hard to find parts and I am sharing it with a non club member in Oregon who also needs some of the hard to find 42 parts. We have been powerless here the past few days due to a storm and I wont use my computer on generator power because it's current not stable enough.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

It looks like I lost the second page of my blog. I think I accidentally tried to post a oicture with too much information.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

Quote from: gary griffin on December 23, 2011, 08:37:20 PM
I am not having much visible progress but accomplishing a lot of prep work.

The engine is in the machine shop and the rebuild kit from Old.Parts (AKA Kanter) is there with it hoping for early January completion.

The 31 pieces of metal interior trim are ready to ship back from Bob Kennedy inCalifornia and the check to pay for it is in the mail. I am really looking forward  to seeing all of the wood grain painted metal parts.

The steering wheel has a new rim on it and it along with the other painted plastic interior parts like E-Brake handle, shift knob, radio push buttons (42 is only year in the 40's with plastic here) heater knobs and so forth.

Newly chromed bumpers and all of the other rechromed parts are in the garage.

Working on new wiring harness and wiring light buckets.

5 each 16 inch wheels are at the painters being painted Vincinnes Red.

Getting ready to order 5 Diamondback 750R16 tires for mid January delivery

Running late and over budget but getting excited to see it coming together

Hoping to figre out Camera glitch soon

Ordered 5 each wide white wall tires from Diamondback, expensive but radials looking a     lot like the original bias ply tires.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

I apparently lost the second page to this blog so I am testing to see if the first page is still accepting posts??
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

Just checking to see if this site is still accepting posts as the second page seems to have disappeared
Gary Griffin

Richardonly

Gary,

Thank you for sharing your photos and the detailed update on your car's progress.

I am truly amazed to see a rusted hulk, stripped down, primed and refinished to look better than when it was new.  It is equaly amazing that every little part is given attention to.  How do you find the patience to wait as you see it taking such beautiful shape?

Thank you again for sharing.  Please keep up with the progress as it occurs.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

gary griffin

Here is the one that disappeared?
Gary Griffin