News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoring my 1942-6719 replacement blog

Started by gary griffin, January 23, 2012, 01:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

New blog to replace lost blog.

I am just sort of marking time waiting for my engine to come back from the rebuilder. I have put all of the parts in boxes marked with content so they are easy to install. I have all of the wood grained metal trim and Bob Kennedy did a wonderful job on it. I have the steering wheel with a new rim and all of the knobs and handles painted to match it from "Steering wheel Bob" in NJ.
I have all of the new flat glass, almost all of the chrome, (A few more pieces coming soon). My new Diamondback tires are on the way. I bought a parts car to get a few small pieces I needed and will try to store as many of the 42 only parts in case soemone needs them later. I have prepared the wiring harness and all of the buckets are reconditioned and rewired. I have went through the heating system, and it is working O K but I can only get one speed on the defroster fan. Hopefully the parts car will have a better controller. More later, I am just setting up this blog due to losing the second page on the last one.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

gary griffin

A few earlier pictures. The first 2 pictures show the condition of the car when I received it. The car was originally Bing Crosby,s car for his Nevada ranches and he donated it to the military during the war. In 1951 it was sold at militatry surplus auction and after that it went through the hands of people who were planning on restoring it. The car sat in a Quonset hut in the Utah desert 30 years and was a habitat for various creatures.
The 3rd picture is of the car stripped for painting
The 4th picture is first primer coat and the 5th picture is the second primer coat. Two colors of prmer are used so when sanding the high spots are exposed.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

More Pictures, I am having a little problem with pictures so will add only a few at a time. These pictures are of the body painted with Antionette Blue paint but not cut back and clear coated yet. Most of the parts are now painted ane ready to reassemble onto the car. Awaiting finish of the rebuild on the engine and then after engine is installed te front denders and hood will go on followed by all of the trim and glass.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

More photos. First photo is of parts painted in the paint booth and the second is just another photo of the car
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

Yet more pictures.These were taken out doors on one of Seattles sunniest days of 2011. The blue shows up very clearly but in less light or under artificial light the car looks black. The white residue is from wet sanding with fine sandpaper
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

More pictures. The 1st is the steering wheels and the knobs and handles painted to match in the original ivory color. The steering wheel ring was replaced with a new one because the original plastic was beyond repair. Steering wheel Bob did the work on these pieces ant they are great.
Th esecond pictue is the dash board and trim for the back of the front seat. There are 31 pieces of metal painted to look like wood and Bob Kennedy did a great job on them.
The third picture is of the rechromed hub caps (16 inch) with the medalions repainted by me. They came out O K and the hub caps are great.
The next picture is of the running boards. The 67 series had short running boards concealed beneath a flair out in the doors so they are concealed unless  the doors are open. The running boards have since been straichtened out and the bottoms are painted with POR 15, awaiting new rubber to be glued on prior to reinstallation
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

More pictures
Gary Griffin