News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle restoration and modification.

Started by Derek, June 20, 2012, 01:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Hi, I'm new here and I'm just learning, so please bear with me.

I guess I should start with a little bit about me. I'm a 16 year old who has grown up around cars and I love them. I'm not on of those people who dislikes certain types of cars, I appreciate all cars, and this car will have influences of other car cultures too. It is going to be just by day and I, with help on stuff we can't do. But onto the car.

The car belonged to my grandfather, he got it in Vermont and brought it up to Oshawa, ON, where it sat it his backyard for about 50 years. After he passed away they stayed right where it is along with the others (1927 Nash, 1929 Chevy, !960s Buick.) The LaSalle and the Nash were in the best shape. The only problem is that my grandfather tried to fix the car but gave up so the motor and front end sat exposed to the harsh Canadian elements for ten plus years. The original V8 is now in parts and the pistons are seemingly fused with the block. We would like to get it running eventually but for the mean time were just going to swap a different motor in.

The biggest problem right now is getting the front end back together because when grandfather took it apart he must have just reefed on it because almost every panel is bent or warped so I have been trying to straighten the the best I can. We also think we are missing the part that attaches the hood to the lift mechanism.

This is going to be my car because my dad has a 1931 Model A Ford hot rod, so It is up to me to decide what to do with it, so I want to make it original-ish with air ride and some modern and tuner influences, but having it classy looking too. Please be nice but still helpful, just don't say that I'm  ruining the car or anything.

There are photos here on my Razzi: http://razzi.me/FastPicsInc1/albums I will also be posting some videos on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FastFilmsInc1?feature=mhee

Thanks.

Jim Stamper

Hi Derek;

You don't mention a time frame for getting the car on the road, or the kind of money you have to put in the car. With money a lot of things are possibly rather quickly.  If you are on a budget I would concentrate on getting the car on the road and then evaluate the modifications you want to make.  Then it becomes how long will it be off the road during the modifying. Fortunately we have winters for those kind of things, but seriously, too many mods first and it will take forever to get it on the road and life may intervene.

The engine is an easy one, as any 1937-1948 will work for you as well as the military surplus Cadillac V-8s.
The gas tank wants attention right from the start, almost a guarantee it is a mess inside. One safety feature you can do from the start while redoing the brakes entirely is fit a dual master cylinder to it.

The exterior and interior are obvious and a new wiring harness is a must. Take care of those things, get it on the road and evaluate, this was a luxury car at one time.  Enjoy the fruits of your efforts and then do what you want to it to make it how you want it.    Good luck;   Jim Stamper, CLC#13470   39 LaSalle convertible sedan.

Richardonly

Hello Derek,

I did take a look at your photos and truly enjoyed looking at them.

On the other side, as Jim wrote, obviously getting it running and making sure it can stop is the 1st order.  Being a young man, have you driven a vintage car such as this and compared it to a newer model?  The steering is hard, the ride is ok and current luxuries we have come to expect are NOT there.

Being 16y.o. is a benefit as you have your life ahead of you to do the car, redo the car OR make it perfect for you, no matter how long it takes.  Do NOT get discouraged as it is a "family" car and can never be replaced.  Do not scrap ANY parts as you may find it extremely hard and costly to replace them should you someday deceide to bring it back to original, or sell it to someone who wants to do that.

You have a beautiful old car that does need a lot of work, but it is yours.  I'm sure many here wish they owned it.  (I for one.)

Try to figure out what you wish it to become and enjoy getting it there.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Derek

Thanks guys. You are definitely right about getting it on the road being a big priority. I have driven old cars before, our 1931 model A, it had power steering and brakes, I have also driven our 1962 Galaxie with that has no power (not fun).  We aren't planning anything extreme for the car, no real body modes or anything. We are not going to chop it as I am quite tall and need head room, and we like how it looks. The only thing we want to do is lower it and if were going to do that, we figured we might as well bag it. Our budget is 0 right now until we sell some of our other toys. It is going to be a long process, but there is no rush, It will never be a trailer queen, that's just not who I am, if I put money and time into something, I'm going to use it. Now that being said, I have no problem with people who trailer their cars, it also doesn't mean I'm not going to make it as nice as possible either.

The next thing we want to do is remove the interior because it smells like something or multiple things died it it and it is almost unbearable. We have a few other projects on the go that were just finishing up too, and it has been so hot so progress has stopped for a few days.

How do I ad pictures? I'm fine with using my razzi but others have photos and I think it would be nice to have some too.

Please keep commenting, it is very helpful and motivational.

Thanks

Richardonly

Derek,

Not knowing your computer operating system, I can only comment in how I do this.

When you write or answer a blog, at the bottom in blue you will see attachments and other options.  When you click on that, select browse and find where your pictures are saved.  Select the pic you want and hit "open."

Some photos come out fine while others, when enlarged, are TOO big to see on a screen and must be moved around to see the details.   It's kind of trial and error.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

gary griffin

Hi Derek

You are starting a wonderful project. I would suggest a restoration blog with beginning pictures and updates as you go along. I have one going for my 1942 restoration and get  a lot of pleasure updating it. I might suggest less pictures taken from a greater distance so the whole car can be seen all at once and follow through with detail pictures as needed to show specific points of information.

The first step in restoration is to inventory the parts you have no matter the condition and try to figure out what is missing. Most parts will be restorable or at least patterns if you ned to build new parts. You may miss a few but you will have a general idea of the challenges you are facing. Next figure out waht yo ucan do your self and what you will contract out. Obviously the more you can do the less the restoration will cost in dollars and the more it will cost of your time. Your engine may be rebuildable but finding a running used engine may be a lot cheaper at this time. If you do that dont discard the original engine as it woulf be a valuable component to include with the car if you are ever going to finish up an authentic restoration. I would suggest the fewer modifications you make the better and would not make any non reversable changes.

Patience will be a must as this project will take lots of time. This forum and the want to buy section will be a valuable asset as will the huge vendors list that Otto keeps up with a couple hundred parts suppliers and vendors of everything from springs to clocks to motors to upholstery.

If you want to try to keep it authentic I would sugest you purchase the correct authenticity manual. I did that and have used it many times to help with decisions. Authentic cars have more value than modified cars and are a source of further prid as far as I am concerned. Yu can also get the build sheet that tells the original configuration of the car and color and accessories.

You will really enjoy the satisfaction of a car you restore yourself and you will learn more than you can imagine about patience, planning, budgeting, and everythng else. Good Luck Young Man.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Derek

I personally don't really care about authenticity, it's all about having fun and enjoying it as soon as possible. We are going to modify it but not anything extreme, just molding and filling in seams. We just found a box in my grandmothers basement full of parts. We aren't going to get rid of anything and we would definitely wouldn't throw it out, we would sell it to someone who could use it for their car. We are going to keep the block, even if we don't fix it, we'll put it out in the yard and make it "lawn art" to piss off the neighbors. Haha. Inventorying ever is a good idea. 

Derek

I made a quick video of the car so if you should want to see it, here it it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB8yDGFpx4Q

OLDGOLD

hi i to have old lasalle had it for about30 years putting it togather  found i need a rad support woodnt habeen to have one  you dont need if so let me know thanks d tucker